Poll

What is your favorite sport to watch or attend?

NBA
9 (40.9%)
NCAA basketball
0 (0%)
NFL
3 (13.6%)
NCAA football
2 (9.1%)
NHL
1 (4.5%)
NCAA hockey
0 (0%)
MLB
3 (13.6%)
NCAA baseball
0 (0%)
NASCAR
0 (0%)
Olympics
0 (0%)
boxing
0 (0%)
Arena football
0 (0%)
Canadian football
0 (0%)
WNBA
0 (0%)
women's NCAA basketball
0 (0%)
MLS
0 (0%)
Euroleague basketball
0 (0%)
FIFA
4 (18.2%)
Rugby
0 (0%)
Horse racing
0 (0%)
Australian rules football
0 (0%)
Pro Cricket
0 (0%)
Men's pro tennis
0 (0%)
Women's pro tennis
0 (0%)
PGA
0 (0%)
LPGA
0 (0%)
dog racing
0 (0%)
competitive cheerleading
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: What is your favorite sport to watch or attend?  (Read 7868 times)

Re: What is your favorite sport to watch or attend?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 02:56:04 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Is attending pro golf a lot like high school golf? I just waive goodbye, head into the clubhouse, have a beer, have another, have some more, switch over to coffee and coke and waive hello when they come back. It is by far the most underrated sport on Earth to watch.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Maybe a tangent, but my son plays 3 sports over the year. Football, Basketball, and then Lacrosse. I played Basketball and was sure that was going to be my favorite of his to watch, but quite honestly it is in last place of the three.

Football by a big margin, then Lacrosse, and a distant basketball. Maybe it is because having played the sport I am more into the specifics of what he is doing/not doing and it is harder to enjoy it. He plays middle linebacker and watching him knock someone off their feet is the greatest thing ever...

High school football games have much more of a Town Fair atmosphere.  Kids playing games of football on the side.  Lots of socializing...etc...
Yup

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Maybe a tangent, but my son plays 3 sports over the year. Football, Basketball, and then Lacrosse. I played Basketball and was sure that was going to be my favorite of his to watch, but quite honestly it is in last place of the three.

Football by a big margin, then Lacrosse, and a distant basketball. Maybe it is because having played the sport I am more into the specifics of what he is doing/not doing and it is harder to enjoy it. He plays middle linebacker and watching him knock someone off their feet is the greatest thing ever...

High school football games have much more of a Town Fair atmosphere.  Kids playing games of football on the side.  Lots of socializing...etc...

High school football is a blast.  Friday night lights and Thanksgiving day games.  I still go to my high school's Thanksgiving day game every year.  It's a like a reunion.  There are some people that I only see that one day of the year. 

It was definitely my favorite sport to play in high school.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 03:07:18 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I love the Celtics, but for my money nothing beats the electricity of international soccer, I love to see country go against country. Even if you don't have a horse in the race, it's a really awesome event.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
I enjoy watching golf on the weekends, especially after I have played golf.  i have been to the Deutsche Back at TPC Boston the past few years and have a good time following around golfers.  I like going to celtics games too.

Of course watching the Pats and the NFL is the best.  I also watch a lot of MMA and have become obsessed with UFC Unleashed.
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 03:21:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

High school football is a blast.  Friday night lights and Thanksgiving day games.  I still go to my high school's Thanksgiving day game every year.  It's a like a reunion.  There are some people that I only see that one day of the year. 

It was definitely my favorite sport to play in high school.

I haven't gone back to my HS Thanksgiving game in years, but I always want to.  It's just a little far to go.

The last one I went to they lost 3-2.  They had no real field goal kicker, but had a kid try his best and miss badly as time expired.
Yup

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 03:35:25 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
A couple of thoughts:

- I'm a fan of a lot of different sports, and I have to say that there is NOTHING better than the tennis majors. A great tennis match rivals any and every other sporting event.

- One sport that deserves at least a place on this list is volleyball. I played volleyball for my high school, and people that haven't seen it in person have no idea how intense it is and how fun it is to watch even at the high school level.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 03:40:58 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
There is no world class fencing option. LAME!

I earned a ranking in all three weapons after training under three Olympians and a former Polish champion and I have never seen this on TV and it is difficult to attend. The more urban area you live the easier to attend I guess, but I made the purposeful decision not to include fencing

There are websites all over that you can watch the events on. True they're never on tv in the US, but you can often track down, say an italian tv station when there's a world cup in italy. They usually stream world championships too.

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
SEC football, particularly at Alabama is a unique experience.  It's Woodstock meets the circus on most Saturdays.  Roll Tide.

However, the playoff games in Boston that I've been to are good memories too.  Game 3 of the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals (the comeback) and Game 2 of last years' Finals. 

Hoping to get up there for a Red Sox game at Fenway eventually.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 04:14:14 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

Good call Redz. Alabama HS football is nuts.  An hour show on every local station every Friday night to cover it all. 

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 04:20:28 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
college football followed by the celtics