Author Topic: Path to victory?  (Read 5583 times)

Re: Path to victory?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Pick up Yannis before he can get a head of steam and be willing to take charges from him.
I don't think we're unwilling to take charges.  I just think he's really good at avoiding them, even at full speed.

You also have to get the call. There is nothing worse than giving up your body to get the charge call and then the refs give the "Star" the call.
Perhaps.  But also many fans don't really understand what a charge really is.  Basketball is a physical game.  Being bigger and stronger is an advantage and great offensive players know how to use their body to bump defenders off balance or draw fouls.  Giannis is one of those guys and from what I see, rarely charges, especially given that driving is his game.

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 05:03:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Force Bledsoe and Middleton to make plays, make Brook Lopez and Niko Mirotic hit shots.

Hope they can't.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I liked how Stevens had Brown and Hayward attempt to stay in Bogdanovic's face and deny him the ball as much as possible. Having a similar strategy with Brown and Hayward on Middleton, denying him getting the ball in the first place, would put a major wrench into Milwaukee's overall offense. I also am expecting a surprisingly great defensive job on Bledsoe by Kyrie and Rozier.

I think Stevens will have no problem throwing Morris, Semi, Horford, Hayward and Tatum at Giannis with help coming off whoever is guarding the Bucks centers.

My guess is most end of game scenarios will be small ball and by game three, maybe game four, both coaches will be going with non-center lineups for most of the games.

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 07:16:20 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I think the Celtics being heavy underdogs will really help them.

They seem to function best that way. I think they are underdogs the rest of the way so go underdogs!!!

#4 seed against the #1 seed, touted as the second-best team in the NBA behind the Warriors. It's time to live that underdog role. Rather be a dog than be a favorite.
I find Bucks as the 5th or 6th best NBA team in the league.

GSW, BOS, TOR and HOU teams have the highest upsides.
All of those teams have a path to the title.
They have the most versatile and switchable defenses,
while also being able to threat from the 3 pt line from all 5 positions.
That was my preseason impression and nothing swung it for me enough to change my opinion.

MIL and PHI are the 5th and 6th.
I am still undecided about Philly's starting 5, minus their shallow bench, equitation. To have a firm stance.
We will find out soon.
Yeah, you're REALLY underrating the bucks (and probably overrating the Celts).  They are the favorite in this series and rightfully so.  Let's not lose sight of what that means; this is likely the end of the road for the Celts.

Of course, the games have to be played and Kyrie could certainly go super nova in the series.  I'll be watching and rooting for the Celtics and obviously, hope we can pull the upset.
I try not to dwell over regular season success so easily. Last year we beat them without our 2 main players. The argument that they are a much better team now, often menu, doesn't stand here. As Kyrie and Gordon are bigger additions than anything Bucks did over the past year.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

My guess is most end of game scenarios will be small ball and by game three, maybe game four, both coaches will be going with non-center lineups for most of the games.

Does Horford count as a center?  Because I can't see the Celts winning a series where he doesn't play a major role.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 07:42:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Does Horford count as a center?  Because I can't see the Celts winning a series where he doesn't play a major role.
I consider him a small ball center/PF. He would probably be at the 5 in a small ball lineup and have to match up with Giannis with Hayward and Morris taking Mirotic or Ilyasova at the 4 in Milwaukee's small ball lineup.

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 07:49:36 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
This is the path to victory: limit the amount of Bucks fast break opportunities. If we can slow the game down to half court sets, we can’t lose. Look for Stevens to implement a strategy of a lot of offensive movement to find 3 point shots (making Giannis run all over the court on defense) and conceding offensive rebounds to get back on defense.

I have the Celtics in 6.

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
In a way, you could replicate the strategy we used vs. the Sixers last April/May.

Let Giannis put up his monster numbers (like Embiid did against us), but limit everyone else as best as possible. And late in games, do your best to keep Giannis outside the paint and force him to shoot. Unfortunately, this is where we'll miss Smart's perimeter defense, though they could be without Brogdon themselves.

And on offense, well, we'll just have to hope the outside shots are falling at a good clip. You know they are going to continue firing away from outside lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Out shoot the Bucks from 3, avoid TOs, and continue to rebound at a high level.

Probably get Giannis in some foul trouble in a few games.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2019, 08:05:26 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
This is the kind of series I really want an Arron Baynes type to randomly pull up and drain an above the break three, just to deflate the opposition as they try to put together a run.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 08:16:42 AM »

Offline Boss_D

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
T-Ro to play like LAC LouWill..

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 08:20:16 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think you have to take away everything else. Giannis is going to get his. Going to get his calls. Cannot allow Bledsoe, Middleton, Lopez, etc. to hit 3s. Make the Bucks earn it.

Whoever shoots better from 3 in this series will win it.

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

They seem to function best that way. I think they are underdogs the rest of the way so go underdogs!!!

#4 seed against the #1 seed, touted as the second-best team in the NBA behind the Warriors. It's time to live that underdog role. Rather be a dog than be a favorite.

That was my preseason impression and nothing swung it for me enough to change my opinion.

I am still undecided about Philly's starting 5, minus their shallow bench, equitation. To have a firm stance.
We will find out soon.
Yeah, you're REALLY underrating the bucks (and probably overrating the Celts).  They are the favorite in this series and rightfully so.  Let's not lose sight of what that means; this is likely the end of the road for the Celts.

Of course, the games have to be played and Kyrie could certainly go super nova in the series.  I'll be watching and rooting for the Celtics and obviously, hope we can pull the upset.
I try not to dwell over regular season success so easily. Last year we beat them without our 2 main players. The argument that they are a much better team now, often menu, doesn't stand here. As Kyrie and Gordon are bigger additions than anything Bucks did over the past year.
Well, I’d say your the top candidate for the rip van winkle award.  And, even if we take your premise of using last year as the barometer, the biggest reason we won was home court.  We don’t have that this year.

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 10:05:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Pick up Yannis before he can get a head of steam and be willing to take charges from him.
I don't think we're unwilling to take charges.  I just think he's really good at avoiding them, even at full speed.

You also have to get the call. There is nothing worse than giving up your body to get the charge call and then the refs give the "Star" the call.
Perhaps.  But also many fans don't really understand what a charge really is.  Basketball is a physical game.  Being bigger and stronger is an advantage and great offensive players know how to use their body to bump defenders off balance or draw fouls.  Giannis is one of those guys and from what I see, rarely charges, especially given that driving is his game.
Giannis is reaching Lebron-like levels of being able to bowl over defenders while getting the foul called on the defender.  he charges.   Travels too.  not every play but he doesn't need to when he's not going to get called for it regardless of whether he does or not.

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 10:08:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

We will find out soon.

Well, I’d say your the top candidate for the rip van winkle award.  And, even if we take your premise of using last year as the barometer, the biggest reason we won was home court.  We don’t have that this year.
You're not really providing any reason as to why he's wrong. You're just saying it as if it's a definite fact. The Bucks have improved since last season, obviously. But they also haven't proven anything yet. Beating up an effectively Blake Griffin-less Pistons is nothing impressive.

We too are a much better team than our playoff team was. We have a considerably deeper team than we did then, as well as having more top talent. We also matched up with them well this season, despite having numerous injury concerns every time we played them.

To say the biggest reason for us beating them last year was HCA is very dismissive of our coaching, defence and individual efforts.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)