Author Topic: Bruins clinch playoff berth  (Read 25219 times)

Re: Bruins clinch playoff berth
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 05:48:09 PM »

Offline lobstermobster

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
The difference between this year's team and the last 5-6 years is when this team has a bad game, it's REALLY bad.  Otherwise, this team is rarely outhustled, outplayed, and never outcoached.  This is a typical Claude Julien coached team.  The talent just isn't at the level of Julien's previous teams.

Julien is like Obie.  What he can do with average talent is amazing. 

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 11:39:06 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Well, so much for avoiding the Habs.  The classic rivalry will be renewed in the first round.  Hopefully the B's will fare better then they did in the regular season against the Habs.  Should be a great, chippy series. 

Go Bruins!!!

Please just don't get swept!

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
OK, now I'm definitely watching!
Yup

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 11:52:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Um...  at least the Bruins have that one shootout loss to hang their hats on!

0-7-1 against Montreal.  Ouch.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 02:11:18 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
This was a real "grind-it-out" against the odds sort of accomplishment, and they deserve props for fighting to get this spot. Hope they keep beating the odds and fate smiles on them a bit ... great bunch of skaters.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »

Offline RunningTheFloor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'm excited...nothing like playoff hockey.

It's good to see the B's back in the playoffs.

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 02:25:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, the rivalry is back for the playoffs. Other than that, I'm not seeing too much positive from the Bruins point of view.  I hope they make it a series and will pull for 'em.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Jacobs is a stingy owner, I accept that argument... but I think he has gotten better over time. In 2004, he traded for Sergei Gonchar and Michael Nylander, neither of whom came "cheap." He opened his wallet to sign Martin Lapointe, Alexei Zhamnov (it was a disaster, but he still gave him good money), Glen Murray, etc.

The problem Jacobs and Sinden  have faced have little to do with spending but more to do with actually building a championship caliber product. Commitment to spending and team building are two mutually exclusive concepts.

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 09:21:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
So I just got conned by my roommate to go in on tickets with him and two others to go to Game 3 of the first round playoffs.

Haven't been to a Bruins game in at least 4 years.  Should be interesting.

Although, I'll be able to add the Bruins to my list of Boston teams I've seen live in the playoffs in the past calendar year. (Sox, Bruins, soon to be Celts).

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 09:29:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So I just got conned by my roommate to go in on tickets with him and two others to go to Game 3 of the first round playoffs.

Although, I'll be able to add the Bruins to my list of Boston teams I've seen live in the playoffs in the past calendar year. (Sox, Bruins, soon to be Celts).

I am considering buying tickets myself, but I can't bring myself to pay the money.  As great as the NBA playoffs are, there is NOTHING like an overtime NHL playoff game. 

Somehow I feel better about the fact that the B's are playing Montreal, who swept the season series than any other team in the playoffs.  It is the perfect situation for them to steal a couple games by Montreal overlooking them, and then if Thomas can get hot, they can certainly steal two more. 

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 09:32:54 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I envy you guys who live in Boston.

As much as I don't watch a lot of hockey anymore, *nothing* beats a live NHL game, and I can't even imagine what the playoff atmosphere is like in person (it's usually pretty amazing on television, let alone live.)

Have fun at the game.  Hopefully the Bruins can make that one competitive. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 09:33:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I am considering buying tickets myself, but I can't bring myself to pay the money.  As great as the NBA playoffs are, there is NOTHING like an overtime NHL playoff game. 

Somehow I feel better about the fact that the B's are playing Montreal, who swept the season series than any other team in the playoffs.  It is the perfect situation for them to steal a couple games by Montreal overlooking them, and then if Thomas can get hot, they can certainly steal two more. 

I'm actually sitting in seats that are worse than my Celtics season seats, yet I'm paying more than what I'm paying per game for the Celtics playoffs.

Thanks, Jeremy!!

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I'm actually sitting in seats that are worse than my Celtics season seats, yet I'm paying more than what I'm paying per game for the Celtics playoffs.

Thanks, Jeremy!!

Yeah, they are rediculously priced.  I am considering trading a pair of tickets to a C's game I can't go to for B's tickets though...if I can find any takers.

The other problem is that with Hockey, I think you really need to be sitting closer to be able to really watch it than you do with basketball.  I am happy with my nosebleed seats for the C's, but I know I wouldn't be able to follow hockey action at all from that far up.

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 12:30:18 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
The Bruins will probably lose this series, but I am still proud of them. Nobody expected the Bruins to make the playoffs with their best overall player gone for almost the entire season.

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
What a game tonight.  There really is absolutely nothing more exciting than an overtime hockey playoff game (and I mean anything...even C's playoff games). 

This is turning into one hell of a series.  I really hope we get to see Bergeron out there, that could put it over the top.