Author Topic: The Best Possible Draft Scenario for the Celtics  (Read 4677 times)

The Best Possible Draft Scenario for the Celtics
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:54:45 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
So to start off everyone has been hearing how much Pheonix likes Dragan Bender and how he brings the perfect set of perimeter skills and shooting touch that that frontcourt would need. So what we do is trade #3 for #4 and #13.
So at #4 we draft PG Kris Dunn. Clearly this would be amazing value that some scouts are considering to be one of the top prospects that's even rivals Ingram and Simmons. Even though we end up with more picks it's better value than later round picks.
Instead of selecting at #13 we send #13, #16, #23, and #35 over to Sacramento for the 8th overall pick in the draft.
At #8 we take C Jakob Peoltl.
Send Smart, Rozier, and 31 over to Philly for Noel.
PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Nerlens Noel
C: Jakob Peoltl

Add a fantastic young frontcourt and a franchise talent in the backcourt. We can bring in a shooter/shooters in through FA. Keep adding assets and keep thinking long term.

Re: The Best Possible Draft Scenario for the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:48:08 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So to start off everyone has been hearing how much Pheonix likes Dragan Bender and how he brings the perfect set of perimeter skills and shooting touch that that frontcourt would need. So what we do is trade #3 for #4 and #13.
So at #4 we draft PG Kris Dunn. Clearly this would be amazing value that some scouts are considering to be one of the top prospects that's even rivals Ingram and Simmons. Even though we end up with more picks it's better value than later round picks.
Instead of selecting at #13 we send #13, #16, #23, and #35 over to Sacramento for the 8th overall pick in the draft.
At #8 we take C Jakob Peoltl.
Send Smart, Rozier, and 31 over to Philly for Noel.
PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Jae Crowder

Add a fantastic young frontcourt and a franchise talent in the backcourt. We can bring in a shooter/shooters in through FA. Keep adding assets and keep thinking long term.
Why would Phoenix give us #13 if they could take bender at #4?  I'm going yo assume you dont want bender for the celts.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Add a fantastic young frontcourt

Man that really is not a fantastic front court at all.  There is zero spacing in the front court and it goes against the Celtics entire gameplan.  Noel is not a PF.  Has no offensive game.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:52:09 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
No.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 10:16:43 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Instead of trading for Noel why don't you just draft Thon Maker and take a gamble on him. They have similiar body types but Thon is longer and even with the shoulder shrug at the combine he has a very good vertical and unbelievable agility times. Plus he has the ability to be good on offense.

We should be able to get Thon at 16 without a problem.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 10:34:39 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Best possible draft Scenario for me:
IMO Caris Lavert is NBA GOLD and his game speaks for itself. The injury to his left leg/foot has teams concerned but I would use the 23 on him if forced. The dude has game and the length to play the point or 2 and defend the 3 if need be. IMO if not for the injury he would be a top ten pick easily and reminds me of Jamal Crawford the way he handles the ball and shoots. But has the ability and length to be a shutdown defender. Here is a video of his 2015 highlights made back in November...he only played a few games. He just got out of his boot, which he wore to the combine for measurements, many scouts said he should never have gone because it hurt his stock.......the kid said" my game should speak for itself".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-b7q0Xg3ys

DX profile for each:
16: Timothe Luwawu http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Timothe-Luwawu-68219/
23: Thon Maker http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Thon-Maker-70462/
31: Caris Lavert http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Caris-LeVert-66377/

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 10:58:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1779
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Best possible scenario is the Lakers take Dunn or Bender leaving us with Ingram. Any other scenario is a very distant 2nd. I will also add in that we take Maker with #16 or #23. If these two things happened (while I was at the Barclay's Center), I would be a VERY happy man.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 02:13:45 AM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Neither Thon Maker or Carl Lavert are going to be drafted in the first round.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 10:34:38 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Best possible scenario is the Lakers take Dunn or Bender leaving us with Ingram. Any other scenario is a very distant 2nd. I will also add in that we take Maker with #16 or #23. If these two things happened (while I was at the Barclay's Center), I would be a VERY happy man.

So say the Lakers did want Dunn or Bender, do you think they would try to swap with the Celtics? Something like the Celtics 3rd and 16 for the Lakers 2nd? Would it be worth that to get Ingram?

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 10:40:36 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
IMO Caris Lavert is NBA GOLD and his game speaks for itself. The injury to his left leg/foot has teams concerned but I would use the 23 on him if forced. The dude has game and the length to play the point or 2 and defend the 3 if need be. IMO if not for the injury he would be a top ten pick easily and reminds me of Jamal Crawford the way he handles the ball and shoots. But has the ability and length to be a shutdown defender. Here is a video of his 2015 highlights made back in November...he only played a few games. He just got out of his boot, which he wore to the combine for measurements, many scouts said he should never have gone because it hurt his stock.......the kid said" my game should speak for itself".

DX profile for each:

I think Caris goes top of the second round. He had 1st round talent for sure but his injury history has to scare teams from giving him guaranteed money. I'd 100% use the 31st pick on him. Last year wasn't he considered a fringe lottery pick before he pulled out?

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

So say the Lakers did want Dunn or Bender, do you think they would try to swap with the Celtics? Something like the Celtics 3rd and 16 for the Lakers 2nd? Would it be worth that to get Ingram?

Value wise, yes it would, given the perceived drop from 2 to 3. Will depend whether Ainge is in love with Ingram or not. Hard to imagine him not being so. The kid should do great in NBA, and fills a huge need for us.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I like the idea of trading 13, 16, 23, and 35 for 8 (I'd include 31 if need be) but as we learned from last years draft, it probably isn't happening.

BUT IF IT DOES:

I dont take Dunn at 4

I take one of Hield, Murray or Brown at 4

at 8 I'd be fine with Poeltl but maybe you could gamble and take Chriss. Also theres a chance we could get two of the above 3^ if they slip one more slot.

Another option: What about trading some of those picks and Rozier for WCS.

BOOM rim protection and at 4 we have scoring

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1779
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yes, definitely - add in the 31, too, if they would like. Ingram is exactly what the Cs need. We have so many draft picks, I would gladly consolidate for one of the two players in what is considered a two-player draft.

Bender makes me worried, Ingram gets me excited!

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 11:16:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yes, definitely - add in the 31, too, if they would like. Ingram is exactly what the Cs need. We have so many draft picks, I would gladly consolidate for one of the two players in what is considered a two-player draft.

Bender makes me worried, Ingram gets me excited!

I'd be even willing to add in 23 instead of 31.  Get Ingram, and save about $2.3 million in cap room.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 11:21:16 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 939

DX profile for each:

I think Caris goes top of the second round. He had 1st round talent for sure but his injury history has to scare teams from giving him guaranteed money. I'd 100% use the 31st pick on him. Last year wasn't he considered a fringe lottery pick before he pulled out?

TP to both. I'm also a big CL fan. I think players like Caris and even Thon Maker are exactly the sort of players we should be looking at with those picks in the 20s and 30s. Big score if they work out, big bust if they don't, minimal in-between. Why not shoot for the stars, knowing that occasionally you'll miss and hit London?

I like the idea of trading 13, 16, 23, and 35 for 8 (I'd include 31 if need be) but as we learned from last years draft, it probably isn't happening.

So this is an issue that I've thought a lot about over the past year (Turns out that there actually are a few advantages to having no life.). I've decided that what happened last year was simply the result of timing and perceived need. In other words, every draft is different. Given the rumors we've heard about what DA was offering for #10, it's more about Michael Jordan's craziness for Kaminsky and less about the value of the pick. We were clearly overpaying.

13 and 16 alone is likely a fair trade, but I'd throw in a couple of others if they were needed to get the job done. Unless, of course, a bunch of GMs at 8,9 and 10 fall in love with a player, but there are a couple of options in that range that we could use (Poeltl, Chriss, Murray, Brown and Skal all have the possibility of being available at 8-10).

Mike