Author Topic: 2020 Tiered Draft Big Board  (Read 31870 times)

Re: 2020 Tiered Draft Big Board
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2020, 11:49:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
To fill the bball void I have been looking back to find players who I missed in my big board. One guy who I think was a huge miss was

Xavier Tillman

I would go as fare as to possibly place him in the bottom of my tier 3 or top of tier 4.

The first thing that jumps out to me about Tillman is his statistical similarities to Al Horford

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=xavier-tillman--al-horford

The stats that are most promising are his assist/TO, block and steals. Like Al (and Theis) Tillman lacks ideal center size. He is listed at 6'9 245 and has a reported 7'1 wingspan. If true that puts him in the Al/Theis size/length range.

While not a flashing pick it is very easy to see him plugged into the Cs current big man rotation.
I think you are going to do yourself a massive disservice if you are using college stats to evaluate a player for the pros. You are doing yourself an even bigger disservice if you are using those stats to compare them to the college stats of an NBA player and think that makes that player the type of player the NBA player is or as good a prospect as the NBA player was.

Maybe the reason you missed Tillman is that he just isn't a very good pro prospect, like a late second rounder.

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Earlier this season I was focused on finding a nice 4/5 guy, but this draft is pretty deep in the 1/2 area, and that is a more important role in today's NBA.  Given Kemba's recent health concerns, we should assume that we won't be getting more than another 1 or 2 years of top service from him at the point guard position.

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2020, 12:36:42 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Earlier this season I was focused on finding a nice 4/5 guy, but this draft is pretty deep in the 1/2 area, and that is a more important role in today's NBA.  Given Kemba's recent health concerns, we should assume that we won't be getting more than another 1 or 2 years of top service from him at the point guard position.

At this point I am hoping one of the 6’5”-6’6” pointguards is available at the Memphis pick. I would love the French guy, Killian Hayes, but he’s probably gone by then, and our French guys have so far been middling at best.

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2020, 12:38:35 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
To fill the bball void I have been looking back to find players who I missed in my big board. One guy who I think was a huge miss was

Xavier Tillman

I would go as fare as to possibly place him in the bottom of my tier 3 or top of tier 4.

The first thing that jumps out to me about Tillman is his statistical similarities to Al Horford

The stats that are most promising are his assist/TO, block and steals. Like Al (and Theis) Tillman lacks ideal center size. He is listed at 6'9 245 and has a reported 7'1 wingspan. If true that puts him in the Al/Theis size/length range.

While not a flashing pick it is very easy to see him plugged into the Cs current big man rotation.
I think you are going to do yourself a massive disservice if you are using college stats to evaluate a player for the pros. You are doing yourself an even bigger disservice if you are using those stats to compare them to the college stats of an NBA player and think that makes that player the type of player the NBA player is or as good a prospect as the NBA player was.

Maybe the reason you missed Tillman is that he just isn't a very good pro prospect, like a late second rounder.

Stats have their place in assessing a prospect. They cant be the only piece of an evaluation but they at least give you an idea of the skills a player brings to the court. Very few wings let alone bigs average 3+ assists per game in college. In addition rebounding is a stat that usually does carry over from the NCAA to the NBA. Stats aside Tillman has adequate NBA big man size and has shown impressive abilities as a defender particularly in the P&R. In a draft lacking high upside picks where team will be lucky to find rotation worthy prospects I have no issue with Tillman as a 1st round pick.

Also not saying Tillman is at the level Horford was in college but his similar stats show he like Al possesses a unique skill set among big man prospects.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Xavier Tillman

Stats have their place in assessing a prospect. They cant be the only piece of an evaluation but they at least give you an idea of the skills a player brings to the court. Very few wings let alone bigs average 3+ assists per game in college. In addition rebounding is a stat that usually does carry over from the NCAA to the NBA. Stats aside Tillman has adequate NBA big man size and has shown impressive abilities as a defender particularly in the P&R. In a draft lacking high upside picks where team will be lucky to find rotation worthy prospects I have no issue with Tillman as a 1st round pick.

Also not saying Tillman is at the level Horford was in college but his similar stats show he like Al possesses a unique skill set among big man prospects.
Don't see it. I think he goes undrafted.

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2020, 12:41:56 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

Xavier Tillman

I don’t know whether you or Nick are correct, but that is a well thought out and even response. You don’t see a lot of that on sports forums these days, even here. TP.

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2020, 01:02:02 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I don't like the idea of drafting to fill a need and I'm not sure of your Kemba assessment but I do think DA will end up in a position to draft a high ceiling PG in this draft.

Point guard is a position that I think its best to either draft really early high ceiling players or wait till late in the draft. Waters is a prime example of a player drafted late who appears to be a serviceable backup PG. Later (2nd round) in this draft I think Payton Prichard and maybe Cassius Winston will be available and both will be playable NBA point guards.

The Cs at #17 are in an interesting spot because PG/Combo guard is the strength of this class.

Ball
Haliburton
Hayes
Anthony
Hampton
Maxey
Mannion
Maledon

All of the players listed above are guards who COULD go before #17, the chances that all 8 go seems slim to me. Out of that list Mannion may have the highest floor but also the lowest ceiling. I could see DA targeting one of the higher profile (out of high school) guys as a potential trade up target. If Hampton, Maxey or Anthony fall out of the top 10 maybe DA offers #17 + #26 + Semi? to move up? This would clear up some of the roster crunch and bring in a player to complement Marcus off the bench.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2020, 03:28:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I don't like the idea of drafting to fill a need and I'm not sure of your Kemba assessment but I do think DA will end up in a position to draft a high ceiling PG in this draft.

Point guard is a position that I think its best to either draft really early high ceiling players or wait till late in the draft. Waters is a prime example of a player drafted late who appears to be a serviceable backup PG. Later (2nd round) in this draft I think Payton Prichard and maybe Cassius Winston will be available and both will be playable NBA point guards.

The Cs at #17 are in an interesting spot because PG/Combo guard is the strength of this class.

Ball
Haliburton
Hayes
Anthony
Hampton
Maxey
Mannion
Maledon

All of the players listed above are guards who COULD go before #17, the chances that all 8 go seems slim to me. Out of that list Mannion may have the highest floor but also the lowest ceiling. I could see DA targeting one of the higher profile (out of high school) guys as a potential trade up target. If Hampton, Maxey or Anthony fall out of the top 10 maybe DA offers #17 + #26 + Semi? to move up? This would clear up some of the roster crunch and bring in a player to complement Marcus off the bench.

Agreed with your sentiments and list.  WOuldn't mind consolidating draft capital to move up and grab one of those guys that slips.  Two birds with one stone.

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2020, 04:58:32 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
If Ainge can flip a couple of assets and get Killian Hayes or another tall point guard, I would be extremely happy.

Having Jaylen, Romeo and a tall point like Hayes that can penetrate and P/R would cause a lot of havoc on offense, and a lot of length at the 1-2-3 on defense. That would be a fun and dynamic backcourt after Kemba and Gordon move on.

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2020, 05:42:11 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Xavier Tillman

Yes, you get a double TP for Xavier Tillman!

One of my favorite centers, quick feet, strong,  athletic, high motor, high awareness on both ends, crashes the glass, protect the rim and is vocal on defense. I love his ability to pass in the high post and find cutters.

I see him having like Clarke/Omari Spellman type of skill set, and with more upside as a passer/floor spacer.

I don't know about Al Horford, but it would be nice.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2020, 05:56:58 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I still say you take a shot at Vernon Carey if he's still available. I predict he might be one of the bigger droppers of draft night.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2020, 10:09:52 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I still say you take a shot at Vernon Carey if he's still available. I predict he might be one of the bigger droppers of draft night.

The more I think about it the less I like the idea of drafting Carey jr. Late in the first he isn’t a terrible pick because he is obviously skilled enough to be an NBA player. The over whelming issue is the he falls into the Kanter/Okafor/Monroe niche. The big man who would have been great 10 years ago but is now relegated to a 15mpg bench role. As Kanter has shown his role can be really valuable in certain matchups. But Kanter has also shown that this type of player can be had for relatively cheap in free agency and can  be played off the court based on matchups. I’d rather see the Cs invest in players who have a clear projectable path to becoming every day playoff rotational players.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2020, 10:12:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The more I think about it the less I like the idea of drafting Carey jr. Late in the first he isn’t a terrible pick because he is obviously skilled enough to be an NBA player. The over whelming issue is the he falls into the Kanter/Okafor/Monroe niche. The big man who would have been great 10 years ago but is now relegated to a 15mpg bench role. As Kanter has shown his role can be really valuable in certain matchups. But Kanter has also shown that this type of player can be had for relatively cheap in free agency and can  be played off the court based on matchups. I’d rather see the Cs invest in players who have a clear projectable path to becoming every day playoff rotational players.
I'm with you. Whenever I watched Carey teams would absolutely take advantage of him on defence through simple PnRs, I'd rather take a flier on someone with high upside.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2020, 01:01:42 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

So basically more athletic Kanter?

Nah I'm good.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2020, 01:03:27 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

So basically more athletic Kanter?

Nah I'm good.
A more athletic Kanter with better handles, and the potential to develop an outside shot? I'll take that.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum