Author Topic: Kendrick Perkins "They still love me"  (Read 8028 times)

Kendrick Perkins "They still love me"
« on: April 27, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
This is what Perkins had to say about the boo's he received after he literally attacked Crowder last night;
He and Crowder briefly scuffled, with Perkins extending a push that made contact with Crowder’s face. For the first time in his NBA career, Perkins heard boos at the Garden. And that’s OK. He knows how they really feel. “Yeah, that was surprising, but I know they still love me,” Perkins said. “When it first happened and I went to the free throw line I could sense it was kind of iffy — do we boo Perk or do we not boo him, but they had to, so I just smiled at it.”

“It wasn’t nothing,” Perkins said. “I went out to set a screen, a hard pick. It was an offensive foul, things happen, guys get tangled up, have some words exchanged and move on. K-Love got hurt, and a couple of minutes were there for me to just go in and play. I didn’t go in with the intention of sending a message. I’m just playing my game.”
This guy should get booed every single time he plays in the Garden in the future. Personally I lost all my respect for Perkins last night.. I never imagined that I'd see anything like that from Perk.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Re: Kendrick Perkins "They still love me"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Did you watch Perkins play for the C's?

I recall him doing the exactly same thing to Deron after Deron cheap shotted Rondo. Same for KG, same for Pierce, etc, etc.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680

I recall him doing the exactly same thing to Deron after Deron cheap shotted Rondo. Same for KG, same for Pierce, etc, etc.

This.

This has always been a major part of Perk's game.  It's something you hate when it's on another team but appreciate when it's on yours.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green

Of course I saw Perkins play in Boston, but in my opinion that still doesn't justify what he did last night. The fact that he did it against his old team and in front of the fans who used to root for him is what ticks me of ;)

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Of course I saw Perkins play in Boston, but in my opinion that still doesn't justify what he did last night. The fact that he did it against his old team and in front of the fans who used to root for him is what ticks me of ;)

Do you want him to be someone he is not just because he is playing his old team?

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 04:09:53 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Basically I heavily boo any Celtics traitors who play/have played for LeBron James.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 04:10:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

This.

This has always been a major part of Perk's game.  It's something you hate when it's on another team but appreciate when it's on yours.
They key difference is that he used to have a lot of other game to go with the enforcer aspect of it.

I think you become more of a villian if that's all you do.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

This.

he's always been an enforcer. But since he's on the enemy's team and Crowder's with us, I think I'd side with Crowder

and besides, Crowder became a fan favorite

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 04:12:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

You'd be happier if he wasn't faithful to his new teams and playing as hard for them as he did by the C's.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Perkins ain't wrong. I still love him and his tough illegal screens and overall not as good as you'd hope play. And none of that is hyperbole.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 04:15:48 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green

Do you want him to be someone he is not just because he is playing his old team?
I think that's a question of principles. Personally I wouldn't behave like Perk did in front of the fans who used to root for me. But hey that's just how I was raised and how I look at things ;)

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 04:19:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

This.

They key difference is that he used to have a lot of other game to go with the enforcer aspect of it.

I think you become more of a villian if that's all you do.

I think this is a pretty valuable point. If you are a starter and playing major minutes I think people can me forgiving cause your actually part of the action and have presumably taken some punishment yourself. If you are not really part of the rotation and the only thing you do is setting a screen to a guy's neck and then reaching for his face, you are not really a basketball player at that point.

Also does any else realize that Perkins should be in his prime right now? He is a month younger than Lebron. I was shocked to learn that today.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 04:21:18 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I know right, this is the type of intimidation stuff that we loved Perk for.  Hard screens, hard fouls, trash talk, taunts.  He was a lightning rod for all the fight stuff so the other 4 didn't have to deal with it.  It kept other teams more in line.  There's a great Doc quote about how when Perk left, all that weight landed on KG and affected his game a little.  Also how it immediately caused KG to get in more "incidents" (Varejao, Melo, etc.)
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think that's a question of principles. Personally I wouldn't behave like Perk did in front of the fans who used to root for me. But hey that's just how I was raised and how I look at things ;)
So you're raised to only play hard for your first employer/team?

That's pretty crappy.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 04:23:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Also does any else realize that Perkins should be in his prime right now? He is a month younger than Lebron. I was shocked to learn that today.
Makes me sad, his knees just didn't hold up.

Go watch Perkins from 07-08 to 09-10. Dude could really move and was able to finish around the hoop pretty well even if he did always bring the ball down.