Author Topic: Celtics (6-4) at Suns (2-8) Game #11 11/8/18  (Read 29059 times)

Re: Celtics (6-4) at Suns (2-8) Game #11 11/8/18
« Reply #570 on: November 09, 2018, 12:54:42 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I just came here to say Kyrie is a stud. You consider yourself lucky when you get a player like him, and you don't let him go.

That is all. Good night, good win!

« Reply #571 on: November 09, 2018, 01:18:33 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I just came here to say Kyrie is a stud. You consider yourself lucky when you get a player like him, and you don't let him go.

He’s been fantastic the last few games, surprisingly good on defense as well. He went from sluggish to on fire overnight. I think it was more than just Tommy saying he looked out of shape.

Regardless, Tommy should call out a few more players this week.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #572 on: November 09, 2018, 01:20:23 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Is Marcus Morris our second best player these days

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #573 on: November 09, 2018, 01:23:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He’s been fantastic the last few games, surprisingly good on defense as well. He went from sluggish to on fire overnight. I think it was more than just Tommy saying he looked out of shape.

Regardless, Tommy should call out a few more players this week.
I reckon let Tommy roast the whole team when we get back to Boston
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #574 on: November 09, 2018, 02:15:39 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
So after Stevens got so much blame for the first half does he get some love for the comeback win?

Nope. This was all on Kyrie (and to a lesser amount Brown and Mook), as he put the team on his back and willed us to victory. Brad didn't really have much to do with it, other than not messing it up, which is a pretty low bar.

I will give him credit for sticking with our guys so long on the first night of a back to back. Probably figured this was a better chance of a win than tomorrow night without Kyrie, but props regardless.

Phoenix's coach takes the cake for dumb coach moves tonight after that last 5:07. Not fouling in the last regulation play was an enormously idiotic move, but it is rivaled by him not even calling a single timeout in OT to slow our major run down and set something up for his guys when they came up empty a few trips in a row.
So when the players are missing 6-8 open layups and about 10 wide, wide open three point shots, it's Stevens fault. But when the players start making those shots, it's all on the players. Got it!  ::) ::) ::)

Sure. It's his job to keep his guys motivated and confident; that's a huge part of coaching a team and managing players. The first half was a major example of him failing in this regard, as these guys were clearly unprepared, overthinking things, and missing those shots, let alone all of their defensive miscues. Brad is not the only one to blame, but he's a major part.

Further, Brad didn't do jack crap to get the guys playing better in the 4th. That was pretty much all Kyrie who simply took charge, getting Brown and Morris to help him out.

In fact, the only thing you can really give Brad props for was for sitting on his hands and not taking the main guys out early, as that allowed Kyrie to get hot and drag the team to victory. I'll also give him credit for drawing up the basic framework for the ATO play (which I think he's easily the best at in the league), though I don't think the actual intended target was Morris.

It's just astonishing to me the number of Celtics fans who simply give Brad a pass for his clear deficiencies. He's a great coach with a lot of great qualities, and I would be fine with him here for the rest of his career. But it's simply inarguable that he struggles with in-game decision-making, be it on-the-fly substitutions, calling timeouts, making adjustments to his game plan, etc., which is a major component of being a good NBA coach.

Hopefully he better develops his robust analytical skills to be more dynamic and flexible in his in-game decision-making, but for now it's a clear weakness of his that regularly hurts us in games.

« Reply #575 on: November 09, 2018, 03:26:12 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
So after Stevens got so much blame for the first half does he get some love for the comeback win?

Nope. This was all on Kyrie (and to a lesser amount Brown and Mook), as he put the team on his back and willed us to victory. Brad didn't really have much to do with it, other than not messing it up, which is a pretty low bar.

I will give him credit for sticking with our guys so long on the first night of a back to back. Probably figured this was a better chance of a win than tomorrow night without Kyrie, but props regardless.

Phoenix's coach takes the cake for dumb coach moves tonight after that last 5:07. Not fouling in the last regulation play was an enormously idiotic move, but it is rivaled by him not even calling a single timeout in OT to slow our major run down and set something up for his guys when they came up empty a few trips in a row.
So when the players are missing 6-8 open layups and about 10 wide, wide open three point shots, it's Stevens fault. But when the players start making those shots, it's all on the players. Got it!  ::) ::) ::)

Sure. It's his job to keep his guys motivated and confident; that's a huge part of coaching a team and managing players. The first half was a major example of him failing in this regard, as these guys were clearly unprepared, overthinking things, and missing those shots, let alone all of their defensive miscues. Brad is not the only one to blame, but he's a major part.

Further, Brad didn't do jack crap to get the guys playing better in the 4th. That was pretty much all Kyrie who simply took charge, getting Brown and Morris to help him out.

In fact, the only thing you can really give Brad props for was for sitting on his hands and not taking the main guys out early, as that allowed Kyrie to get hot and drag the team to victory. I'll also give him credit for drawing up the basic framework for the ATO play (which I think he's easily the best at in the league), though I don't think the actual intended target was Morris.

It's just astonishing to me the number of Celtics fans who simply give Brad a pass for his clear deficiencies. He's a great coach with a lot of great qualities, and I would be fine with him here for the rest of his career. But it's simply inarguable that he struggles with in-game decision-making, be it on-the-fly substitutions, calling timeouts, making adjustments to his game plan, etc., which is a major component of being a good NBA coach.

Hopefully he better develops his robust analytical skills to be more dynamic and flexible in his in-game decision-making, but for now it's a clear weakness of his that regularly hurts us in games.

Hogwash. I bet there isn’t a fanbase out there that wouldn’t take Brad for the next ten years over whoever they currently have.

I really don’t get how you can blame a coach for a team missing wide open threes when they are proven shooters. If the open man is always Smart or Baynes, fine. But when Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Horford are all bricking wide-open threes, it’s on them. The system is working, and no reason to change it.

I guess some need him to break a clipboard, get T’d up or scream at each and every one of them when the camera is in the huddle to not be considered doing jack crap.

It’s preposterous to not blame the players for missing good looks, and then say he “sat on his hands” by leaving his players in.

How many stretches do you actually get bothered by the shot selection? Not many. The defense has been top-notch, but that’s despite him, I’m sure.

Please tell me which coach makes such substantial in-game adjustments.

Truth is, his track record suggests he gets the most out of his players. Turner, Isaiah, Bradley, Crowder, etc. have all had their best years under him. Olynyk is the only player of note who has sustained his production elsewhere.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #576 on: November 09, 2018, 05:06:12 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
wow this team is a huge disappointment so far...if u are a top team, u suppose to beat lesser teams like Phoenix, orlando, Knicks easily! Bucks just whoop Golden State big time..its between Bucks and Raptors folks in the East unless something major happens
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #577 on: November 09, 2018, 06:12:12 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Anyone else have a hard time watching that game last night?
Not the play but simply visually. The bright orange court against the C’s dark green uniforms just is a terrible contrast.

I feel like I always feel this way whenever they play in Phoenix

« Reply #578 on: November 09, 2018, 06:18:07 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
wow this team is a huge disappointment so far...if u are a top team, u suppose to beat lesser teams like Phoenix, orlando, Knicks easily! Bucks just whoop Golden State big time..its between Bucks and Raptors folks in the East unless something major happens

They clearly have a lot of issues offensively right now.  They also clearly have a lot of talent.  They will figure it out.  As bad as they've playing, they're still 7-4.  They will be fine.

« Reply #579 on: November 09, 2018, 06:20:51 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Not the play but simply visually. The bright orange court against the C’s dark green uniforms just is a terrible contrast.

The court was not the problem the play was.  I went to bed.  This team is in trouble and not a championship contender at the moment. 

« Reply #580 on: November 09, 2018, 06:29:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

They clearly have a lot of issues offensively right now.  They also clearly have a lot of talent.  They will figure it out.  As bad as they've playing, they're still 7-4.  They will be fine.
Yeah, that we played perhaps the worst half of Celtics basketball in the last 3 years or so and still pulled out the win is testament to our will, and to our super talented PG

« Reply #581 on: November 09, 2018, 06:36:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Glad we played it out and won, but this needs to stop happening.   Slow starts are a problem or not finishing, it is a different thing each game.   We need to be playing 48 minutes of basketball with effort not a quarter here or there.

Guys are coming back from injuries and I think at this point, we can say that Kobe messed with Jayson 's game be over complicating his moves.  I think we will right the ship but it is maddening seeing guys dogging it on the court.

« Reply #582 on: November 09, 2018, 06:39:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Glad we played it out and won, but this needs to stop happening.   Slow starts are a problem or not finishing, it is a different thing each game.   We need to be playing 48 minutes of basketball with effort not a quarter here or there.

Guys are coming back from injuries and I think at this point, we can say that Kobe messed with Jayson 's game be over complicating his moves.  I think we will right the ship but it is maddening seeing guys dogging it on the court.
I'd rather see Jayson try and emulate KD, or prime Ray Allen, rather than Kobe. Blegh. Completely breaks our offensive sets sometimes

« Reply #583 on: November 09, 2018, 07:27:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I m amazed they cared enough to win. 

no LP for me till i see more effort.

« Reply #584 on: November 09, 2018, 07:28:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

did not watch , but yes i recall the odd contrast