Author Topic: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?  (Read 74566 times)

Re: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?
« Reply #855 on: June 30, 2023, 08:43:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Prime Kenneth Faried and Philly-era JJ Reddick?
Love the Manimal
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #856 on: October 13, 2023, 08:55:01 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
Resurrected this topic as Gallinari has played 2 preseason games now and has looked good.  In a total of 29 min, scored 19 points on 56% FG% and 50% (3 for 6) from 3.  Add in 7 Rebs, 3 Assts., and 6 for 7 FTs.

It will be interesting to see when WAS puts him on the market and what they get for him.

Muscala on the other hand, 18 min, 6 pts, 28% FG%, 3 Rebs (all ORebs), 0 for 4 from 3PT, and 3 Assts.

I know it is only 2 preseason games but I think the production from Gallinari is pretty telling.  He must be healthy and that is really good production and efficiency after a year off.  Hard not to wonder how good we would be last season if he had not gotten injured.   I still like the trade though.

« Reply #857 on: October 13, 2023, 09:00:57 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Resurrected this topic as Gallinari has played 2 preseason games now and has looked good.  In a total of 29 min, scored 19 points on 56% FG% and 50% (3 for 6) from 3.  Add in 7 Rebs, 3 Assts., and 6 for 7 FTs.

It will be interesting to see when WAS puts him on the market and what they get for him.

Muscala on the other hand, 18 min, 6 pts, 28% FG%, 3 Rebs (all ORebs), 0 for 4 from 3PT, and 3 Assts.

I know it is only 2 preseason games but I think the production from Gallinari is pretty telling.  He must be healthy and that is really good production and efficiency after a year off.  Hard not to wonder how good we would be last season if he had not gotten injured.   I still like the trade though.

How’s the defense looking, though? I was never worried about his offense.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #858 on: October 13, 2023, 09:02:20 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 981
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Always liked Gallo, but his role (if he ever had one) is replaced on the current bench by Pritchard/Hauser/Mykhailiuk.

« Reply #859 on: October 13, 2023, 09:11:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Always liked Gallo, but his role (if he ever had one) is replaced on the current bench by Pritchard/Hauser/Mykhailiuk.

I disagree about the role.  If Gallo was here, I think he'd be getting pretty decent minutes at C / PF.  He'd probably take some minutes from Brissett and Kornet.

But, as I recall there was no realistic way to keep Gallo, so no crying here.  KP gives us another dimension.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #860 on: October 13, 2023, 09:44:41 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887

I disagree about the role.  If Gallo was here, I think he'd be getting pretty decent minutes at C / PF.  He'd probably take some minutes from Brissett and Kornet.

But, as I recall there was no realistic way to keep Gallo, so no crying here.  KP gives us another dimension.

I agree about the role.  If Gallinari was here and playing well as his preseason stats indicate, he would have a role as the first big off the bench (assuming Horford and Porzingis start).  That is something we are missing right now.  Gallinari may not hold up and I am sure his defense isn't great but at least he is back on the court, apparently healthy, and playing well so far.  Gallinari at that level has real value.

I am not bringing this up to second guess the trade.  I love the trade, glad to have Porzingis.  Gallinari probably won't hold up, but it is interesting to see how he plays.

« Reply #861 on: October 13, 2023, 09:45:09 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
I think the biggest question with Zinger is health. He looks to fit in perfectly with the Jays and the accessory players like White and Holiday.

I am very excited for this year.
#JKJB

« Reply #862 on: October 13, 2023, 09:46:53 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah I'm stating the obvious, but omg Porzingis is TALL.... oh my  :o

Like I've seen him play on other teams from time to time but now that I'm watching him more closely as a Celtic, I'm realizing he's like a tower out there. He sometimes even makes a guy like Horford look like a junior  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #863 on: October 13, 2023, 10:02:27 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
Yeah I'm stating the obvious, but omg Porzingis is TALL.... oh my  :o

Like I've seen him play on other teams from time to time but now that I'm watching him more closely as a Celtic, I'm realizing he's like a tower out there. He sometimes even makes a guy like Horford look like a junior  :laugh:
I always thought that watching him play for NY. Guys like Dwight Howard would be standing next to him and he looks like hes 6 inches taller haha. NBA heights could be so wonky before the league got involved.

His shooting is so insanely smooth for a big man. Alot of bigs have gotten better at shooting from distance, yet they still look like bigs shooting. Porzingis shoots the ball like a wing. It looks effortless. I also love that he has a bit of range beyond the line. Doesn't have to be toeing the line to cash in a good look.
#JKJB

« Reply #864 on: October 13, 2023, 12:09:57 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86

I agree about the role.  If Gallinari was here and playing well as his preseason stats indicate, he would have a role as the first big off the bench (assuming Horford and Porzingis start).  That is something we are missing right now.  Gallinari may not hold up and I am sure his defense isn't great but at least he is back on the court, apparently healthy, and playing well so far.  Gallinari at that level has real value.

I am not bringing this up to second guess the trade.  I love the trade, glad to have Porzingis.  Gallinari probably won't hold up, but it is interesting to see how he plays.

Speaking of second-guessing trades, and sorry to hijack this thread, I might be second-guessing the Jrue trade.

Brogdon looked amazing last night for Portland.  Totally healthy and active offensively (yes folks, he had some assists as he's being asked to distribute more probably).

I guess the main thing for me will be the GS pick we gave up.  If that turns into a lottery pick, and at the end of next season we're looking at a 35-year old Jrue Holliday... I might lament this trade.  Especially giving up the depth we had with Robert Williams.

For me I think, if we win the title in the next 2-3 years it will totally be worth it.  If we don't, and the GS pick turns into a starter-level player that we could have used next year, I might cringe looking back.

« Reply #865 on: October 13, 2023, 12:15:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Speaking of second-guessing trades, and sorry to hijack this thread, I might be second-guessing the Jrue trade.

Brogdon looked amazing last night for Portland.  Totally healthy and active offensively (yes folks, he had some assists as he's being asked to distribute more probably).

I guess the main thing for me will be the GS pick we gave up.  If that turns into a lottery pick, and at the end of next season we're looking at a 35-year old Jrue Holliday... I might lament this trade.  Especially giving up the depth we had with Robert Williams.

For me I think, if we win the title in the next 2-3 years it will totally be worth it.  If we don't, and the GS pick turns into a starter-level player that we could have used next year, I might cringe looking back.

I'm just looking at a box score, but didn't he have 13 points and 2 assists, along with 3 turnovers, coming off the bench in a loss?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #866 on: October 13, 2023, 12:18:50 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 992

I'm just looking at a box score, but didn't he have 13 points and 2 assists, along with 3 turnovers, coming off the bench in a loss?

To be fair, 13 points in 15 minutes is solid, but also not a performance that would give me second thoughts.

« Reply #867 on: October 13, 2023, 12:26:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

To be fair, 13 points in 15 minutes is solid, but also not a performance that would give me second thoughts.

Yeah, it's a good performance, sure.  But when I hear he "amazing", combined with second thoughts about the trade, I assumed I was going to see something like 30 / 10.  Plus, he didn't produce at all in Portland's first game.

Speaking of Portland and that trade, which isn't Rob Williams getting any run?  Are they keeping him in a bubble?

« Reply #868 on: October 13, 2023, 12:31:27 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 151

Yeah, it's a good performance, sure.  But when I hear he "amazing", combined with second thoughts about the trade, I assumed I was going to see something like 30 / 10.  Plus, he didn't produce at all in Portland's first game.

Speaking of Portland and that trade, which isn't Rob Williams getting any run?  Are they keeping him in a bubble?

He hurt his knee in practice colliding with J Grant -- deep contusion. Rough start...
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #869 on: October 13, 2023, 12:44:16 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86

It was also mainly in the first half, in only 10 minutes. 

He played less than five minutes in the 3QTR and only took one shot.

So yeah, that's a pretty good first half where he looked healthy and productive!