Author Topic: The Cloverfield Paradox  (Read 2141 times)

The Cloverfield Paradox
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:01:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Anybody see this yet?  I thought it was pretty bad.   I loved the first two Cloverfield movies and thought this one played like a B movie at times compared to the first two.   I know some people loved the ending but I was pretty ho-hum on it. 

Disappointing. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: The Cloverfield Paradox
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 09:04:29 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm with you.  Loved the last one, but couldn't even commit beyond 20 minutes to this one.  Just found it boring.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:05:36 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i haven't watched cloverfield lane yet, is paradox a sequel to the 2nd one or the original?

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:28:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
i haven't watched cloverfield lane yet, is paradox a sequel to the 2nd one or the original?

Not really a sequel.  Just another movie in the "Cloverfield" universe.  You might even consider this one kind've a prequel but not in the traditional sense. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 09:48:16 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Not really a sequel.  Just another movie in the "Cloverfield" universe.  You might even consider this one kind've a prequel but not in the traditional sense.

They feel more like anthology episodes - loosely connected stories under a general theme - than any kind of coherent general plot.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:41:15 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
I was super hyped to find out it was coming on after the SB. I could only do 40 min. Great cast, horrible movie.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:47:57 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
It is a paradox how terrible this movie ended up becoming. Smoked some nice greens to this movie and it was deplorably unenjoyable. And I watched Zombie Strippers/Zombeavers extremely intoxicated, but this? Couldn’t even spare 20 minutes. 
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Went to see Cloverfield in the theater. Couldn't finish it because I got motion sickness (only time that's ever happened during a movie).

Watched Cloverfield Lane just this past summer and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it.

Paradox wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. I love how Netflix dropped it though.

I'm a little confused about the Cloverfield "series", though. Because Cloverfield Lane was NOT supposed to relate to Cloverfield at all. But now that Paradox is out, all of a sudden it is recognized to be in the same series??? Also, why not lump Super 8 into the Cloverfield universe? This was speculated at the time it came out and denied, but so was Cloverfield Lane and yet that has been retrofitted back into the Cloverfield series apparently.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm a little confused about the Cloverfield "series", though. Because Cloverfield Lane was NOT supposed to relate to Cloverfield at all. But now that Paradox is out, all of a sudden it is recognized to be in the same series??? Also, why not lump Super 8 into the Cloverfield universe? This was speculated at the time it came out and denied, but so was Cloverfield Lane and yet that has been retrofitted back into the Cloverfield series apparently.

Yeah Cloverfield Lane was shot as a completely separate movie called "The Cellar" or something similar. Very late in the process they decided to tie it to Cloverfield and shot some extra material to fit it in. 

Don't know if this one followed a similar pattern but basically it's a brand of sorts more than a series.  Agree that Super 8 seemed like a closer fit but maybe the ET-ish elements and general PG tone led them to want to treat it as a standalone.