Author Topic: Marcus Smart speaks out on officiating, heated exchange with Brad Stevens  (Read 8196 times)

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Did anyone catch the moment during last nights game when Marcus came out, looked at Jay Larranaga starts barking at him and then claps in his face aggressively (like he does to the refs).
It prompted Jay to follow marcus to his seat, almost stomping.. you had to be focusing on the bench during game play when it happened, no clue how my eye caught it.

Very strange encounter to say the least.

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
This doesn’t bother me.  Smart is an emotional guy, and you have to take the good with the bad with stuff like this.

No issue as long as this is as far as it goes.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I mean on the Marcus Smart scale this is a 3? Remember when he tried to fight JR Smith in the preseason?

Not great but just part of the who he is. He kept it together really well through a tough season last year so I'm not worried.

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Is there any non-anecdotal evidence that "working the refs" has a net positive impact for your team? For all we know it has a negative impact.
Good point! If the players see their coach complaining to the refs all the time - they'll likely follow suit.

The players  need to focus on the game. The refs aren't calling everything - that's obvious. And, they frequently make mistakes - again obvious.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I mean on the Marcus Smart scale this is a 3? Remember when he tried to fight JR Smith in the preseason?

Not great but just part of the who he is. He kept it together really well through a tough season last year so I'm not worried.

I wasn’t watching the game during that point, but I was following along on gamecast.  When he got that 5th foul, I was waiting for the update of “Marcus Smart technical foul.”  Didn’t have to see the plays to know he’d blow up — just glad he took his anger out on his coaches rather than the refs, and cooled down enough to re-enter the game later.

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

I wasn’t watching the game during that point, but I was following along on gamecast.  When he got that 5th foul, I was waiting for the update of “Marcus Smart technical foul.”  Didn’t have to see the plays to know he’d blow up — just glad he took his anger out on his coaches rather than the refs, and cooled down enough to re-enter the game later.

And shortly after that he was seen smiling on the sidelines, cheering on his teammates.  Just a heat of the moment thing.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's definitely contrary to the common law of coaching where you ride the refs the entire game to get calls for your players. Doc and Pop are probably the two greatest examples of this. CBS is the least this of all coaches.

CBS has mentioned that the NBA has channels to go through with questionable calls. I think a coaching staff can submit those plays postgame to the reffing board. I think he goes through those channels. He also challenges when appropriate.

I just think CBS wants to do things the right way, like a grown-up. He views it like its his job to coach his players. It's the player's job to play. It's the refs' job to ref.

I respect that about him. I think that it trains players to be mature players and to respond to adversity with a level head, focusing on the next play.

In fairness to Marcus though, in the heat of the moment, I'd probably react in a similar way.

You think the refs blow the whistle on Lebron, Harden and Durant they same way they do on Smart?

I'm not calling into question Marcus. I'm just talking about CBS.

I actually think Smart's erratic nature is a good yin-yang contrast with CBS cool, consistent demeanor. I think you need both.

I also don't think Smart gets fouled as much as he thinks he does. He guards players exactly like he is guarded, with the same amount of contact. I was watching the game on mute last night and didn't think the reffing on Smart was unfair.

I think it's unfair in the sense that Smart often guards very good offensive players and superstars and they get calls that he doesn't get. It's not some bias against Smart specifically. It's just that Smart actually invests in defense and isn't an offensive superstar. That is probably skewing his perception.

Bingo....NBA wants less defense and more offense just like MLB wants less strikeouts and more home runs (hence the juiced balls.)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I do also think though Brad deserves credit for being an adult and not holding a grudge. A tougher coach (Doc, Pop, etc) may have told Smart to literally hit the showers. Brad not only let it slide, but put Smart back in the game not long afterwards.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
It's definitely contrary to the common law of coaching where you ride the refs the entire game to get calls for your players. Doc and Pop are probably the two greatest examples of this. CBS is the least this of all coaches.

CBS has mentioned that the NBA has channels to go through with questionable calls. I think a coaching staff can submit those plays postgame to the reffing board. I think he goes through those channels. He also challenges when appropriate.

I just think CBS wants to do things the right way, like a grown-up. He views it like its his job to coach his players. It's the player's job to play. It's the refs' job to ref.

I respect that about him. I think that it trains players to be mature players and to respond to adversity with a level head, focusing on the next play.

In fairness to Marcus though, in the heat of the moment, I'd probably react in a similar way.

You think the refs blow the whistle on Lebron, Harden and Durant they same way they do on Smart?

I'm not calling into question Marcus. I'm just talking about CBS.

I actually think Smart's erratic nature is a good yin-yang contrast with CBS cool, consistent demeanor. I think you need both.

I also don't think Smart gets fouled as much as he thinks he does. He guards players exactly like he is guarded, with the same amount of contact. I was watching the game on mute last night and didn't think the reffing on Smart was unfair.

I think it's unfair in the sense that Smart often guards very good offensive players and superstars and they get calls that he doesn't get. It's not some bias against Smart specifically. It's just that Smart actually invests in defense and isn't an offensive superstar. That is probably skewing his perception.

Bingo....NBA wants less defense and more offense just like MLB wants less strikeouts and more home runs (hence the juiced balls.)

You can't blame the NBA for that.

Back in the 1990s, where teams were only averaging 90 points per game, the NBA game became boring.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I do also think though Brad deserves credit for being an adult and not holding a grudge. A tougher coach (Doc, Pop, etc) may have told Smart to literally hit the showers. Brad not only let it slide, but put Smart back in the game not long afterwards.

That's why Brad Stevens is special.

It was just unfortunate that Kyrie made him look bad.

There's no doubt Kyrie's a great player, but he's not very good when it comes to dealing with other people.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

That's why Brad Stevens is special.

It was just unfortunate that Kyrie made him look bad.

There's no doubt Kyrie's a great player, but he's not very good when it comes to dealing with other people.

What's weird is I didn't even notice all this happen during the game. Smart got into the tussle with Miles Bridges and then called for a foul shortly afterwards and then Brad pulled him. I wasn't aware until I started eyeballing the game thread and readers on this site commented on it

I then noticed afterwards, as Brad was observing the game, he had a look on his face like you can tell he was deep in thought (as in he was feeling hurt.)

But, seems like water under the bridge.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I do wish Brad would fight harder vs the refs when team unfriendly calls are made.  It has an impact on how a game gets called.

That said, I don't think the calls last night were bad at all. Marcus' 5th personal was clearly an offensive foul to me.  He was probably more upset about the 4th foul call.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

yes during garbage time

you can bet another one of these episodes, Danny will step in and have a talk with Marcus

Marcus Smart can't "coach" his own coach.  Bad influence on the other players on the team

Marcus needs to accept the fact that CBS is not like "Nick Nurse" type of coach

also he is not going to get calls in his favor.... more than half the time due to his reputation as a flopper

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

This is a very good post. I find it humorous people are taking this opportunity of Marcus being a total jerk to point out how 'wussy' Brad is. We are lucky Brad isn't an emotional basket case. Not everything he tries to do necessarily works out, but I feel very comfortable knowing that there is thought and rationale behind his decisions.

As for Marcus, he probably just needed to sit the rest of the way. The game was already in hand, he had 5 fouls, and what he did wasn't cool. He knows he can act this way because it's Brad, but if this were a tougher coaching staff, we might be talking about a one game suspension. I love Smart's fire, but it's a bit strange that he gets special treatment. This isn't Tom Brady we're talking about.

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
Did anyone catch the moment during last nights game when Marcus came out, looked at Jay Larranaga starts barking at him and then claps in his face aggressively (like he does to the refs).
It prompted Jay to follow marcus to his seat, almost stomping.. you had to be focusing on the bench during game play when it happened, no clue how my eye caught it.

Very strange encounter to say the least.

I noticed. I just couldn't see who he did it to.  Not sure what Smart was trying to accomplish there.