Author Topic: Simply Amazed Last two Games  (Read 5076 times)

Re: Simply Amazed Last two Games
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 10:53:17 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think it's very clear now that Kyrie was hogging the ball last season.

Hayward and Tatum are averaging 20 points per game this season.
Both those guys need the ball to score.
Kyrie's style of play was limiting what other players like Hayward and Tatum can do.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 02:02:30 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The way he gets to his spots  is simply amazing...reminds me of PP. No way can he play this style with a player like the malcontent who hogs the ball for 80% of the shot clock before either jacking up a shot or passing it for someone to bail him out with the shot clock running out.  It has been really revealing to see Hayward operate without a pouting  malcontent primadonna hogging the ball
Pierce is a perfect comp.  They’re similar build, they are much quicker than they look, and strong.  For all the praise Tatum gets, Hayward is much better at getting into the paint.  He’s does it with an economy of motion and energy as well.

I find it remarkable how Hayward gets just enough separation with little pull ups and such.

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 02:49:39 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Kyrie's style of play was limiting what other players like Hayward and Tatum can do.

Its more than Kyrie though. I feel like Kyrie's shots were just taken by Kemba although it looks to be more in rhythm.the real difference are the shots that wouldve gone to Rozier and Morris.

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 07:17:16 AM »

Offline Th3M2n

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14

Actually I’d argue it was more Rozier.  If you go back and watch last season anytime Rozier brings the ball up he completely ignore the side of the court Hayward was on.

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 07:22:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

Kyrie only averaged 18.5 shots last year.  Kemba through 7 games is averaging 18.0.  Starting point guard shots is not the reason for the turnaround.  It is the shots of everyone else that has changed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 09:58:23 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
He's close to the player I saw with the Jazz.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I could never understand why so many fans wanted to get rid of him.  Smart and Hayward are my 2 favs.

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 10:04:58 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Definitely amazed as well. Was hoping to see this version late last year and we saw a glimpse in playoffs in a few moments but there is no doubt he is in great shape now both physically and mentally. It is a pleasure to watch this caliber of player mixing so well with our other three stars and defensive player of year on the court.

I sometimes wonder if this Hayward was last year, we might have been in finals and right now, our starting lineup would look a whole lot different....Kyrie, Hayward, Davis, Brown and Horford potentially...Wouldnt trade our current team though as they are much more lovable to me but wow, one slight change with his health and we are still having I hate Kyrie threads or maybe not.

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2019, 10:53:54 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
A pretty good article about the Celtics from CBS

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-the-celtics-look-every-bit-like-the-team-they-were-supposed-to-be-last-season/

One thing this article doesn’t point out that without looking at any stats I think we are driving to the hoop and getting to the line much more than last year.

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2019, 12:04:25 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Kyrie only averaged 18.5 shots last year.  Kemba through 7 games is averaging 18.0.  Starting point guard shots is not the reason for the turnaround.  It is the shots of everyone else that has changed.

I think that’s right; it’s not the number of shots. It’s partly more shots by Morris and Rozier that we don’t have anymore, but it’s also the whole approach to the offense. So much more motion in the half court and at least to the eye test they push it in transition much more regularly and then try to get to the rim.

My least favorite shot last year was the Terry Rozier transition 3; the Jaylen attempt to jump over/annihilate whoever was in front of him on the break was not too far behind. This year no Rozier 3 (hooray!) and much better decisionmaking from JB.

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2019, 12:58:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I think that’s right; it’s not the number of shots. It’s partly more shots by Morris and Rozier that we don’t have anymore, but it’s also the whole approach to the offense. So much more motion in the half court and at least to the eye test they push it in transition much more regularly and then try to get to the rim.

My least favorite shot last year was the Terry Rozier transition 3; the Jaylen attempt to jump over/annihilate whoever was in front of him on the break was not too far behind. This year no Rozier 3 (hooray!) and much better decision making from JB.

more running, more engagement, and more motion in the half-court. Players do all three better when they know they will be involved in the offense. They also tend to play better defense.

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2019, 01:08:56 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Thomas+Beal for Gordon.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2019, 01:13:22 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Seems like an All-NBA player right now with his two way play! Heck, he might be a top 15 player in the league if he keeps this up, his scoring+playmaking offensive profile is more valuable than a pure volume scorer or passer, and he's a plus on defense.

Does he remind you of PP. I am waiting for Somebody to tell me he is not playing like PP. 8)
I will do that 8). I think he's more of a finesse player than Pierce, he's not as good at drawing fouls (his FTAs are way down compared to Utah Hayward, and even the latter pales in comparison to Pierce in terms of FTA). I also think that Pierce was a better self creator - his mid post game was incredibly reliable when it comes to making tough baskets.

What Hayward has an advantage in is passing - Pierce was a good playmaker at his peak, but he never made the reads that Hayward is doing now. Hayward needs to ramp up his FT rate and continue to improve on defense if he wants to be a top 15 lock, although I'm confident that he'll keep on making strides as the season progresses.

It’s hard to shoot a lot of free throws when you’re making all your shots