Author Topic: Marcus Morris is 382th in the league in real plus and minus  (Read 18020 times)

Re: Marcus Morris is 382th in the league in real plus and minus
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2018, 09:48:11 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
You already started this thread over the weekend.  No need to be redundant.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=95381.0

Not redundant. He went lower.
Now he is 382th in the league.

Morris had 13 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, shot 4-8 (3-4 3PT) and was second on the team in +/- (+2).

How was he the problem?

One game. Most of the time he is a volume shooter who doesn't defend.

Explain to me why you’re clinging to a stat that thinks Otto Porter, Tyus Jones, David West, Robert Covington, and Fred VanVleet are top 20 players and Kevin Durant is not.
Rofl, /thread right here.

I'm not a big Morris fan all the time (sometimes he's great), but to argue he's the 382nd best player in the NBA is laughable

Not the point. He plays, we lose.

"Not the point." Are you aware that you started the thread and put that very point in the title?

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2018, 10:53:33 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
You already started this thread over the weekend.  No need to be redundant.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=95381.0

Not redundant. He went lower.
Now he is 382th in the league.

Morris had 13 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, shot 4-8 (3-4 3PT) and was second on the team in +/- (+2).

How was he the problem?

One game. Most of the time he is a volume shooter who doesn't defend.

Explain to me why you’re clinging to a stat that thinks Otto Porter, Tyus Jones, David West, Robert Covington, and Fred VanVleet are top 20 players and Kevin Durant is not.
Rofl, /thread right here.

I'm not a big Morris fan all the time (sometimes he's great), but to argue he's the 382nd best player in the NBA is laughable

Not the point. He plays, we lose.

"Not the point." Are you aware that you started the thread and put that very point in the title?

The point is we lose when he plays.

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2018, 11:19:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The team is 22-13 when he plays. That's 63% winning. That's equivalent to a 52 win team if he played every game.

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2018, 12:32:12 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The team is 22-13 when he plays. That's 63% winning. That's equivalent to a 52 win team if he played every game.

Plus, aside from Smart, I guess, Morris seems to be the only guy who really brings any toughness to our team, but I'm probably wrong. I know that everyone hated him in the starting lineup, but as I wasn't watching enough of those games, what was the reasoning behind this school of thought? Was it a matter of defense, effort, lack of passing, not being 100%, some combination, etc.? I just always thought that he was going to be the starter at the 4, and then Hayward went down, so yeah...

I'll give the guy credit, though - he certainly seems to play his best against Lebron and the Warriors and will definitely take and make the big shot. I don't like him as a person, but it's nice to have someone else who can create their own offense. I just wish that he could pass. Like at all. I mean, when he's out there with "Not Channing", Brown, and some combination of Kyrie and Rozier, is there a worse passing 1-4 assemblage/combination/lineup in the league?

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2018, 12:59:25 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Plus, aside from Smart, I guess, Morris seems to be the only guy who really brings any toughness to our team, but I'm probably wrong. I know that everyone hated him in the starting lineup, but as I wasn't watching enough of those games, what was the reasoning behind this school of thought? Was it a matter of defense, effort, lack of passing, not being 100%, some combination, etc.? I just always thought that he was going to be the starter at the 4, and then Hayward went down, so yeah...

I'll give the guy credit, though - he certainly seems to play his best against Lebron and the Warriors and will definitely take and make the big shot. I don't like him as a person, but it's nice to have someone else who can create their own offense. I just wish that he could pass. Like at all. I mean, when he's out there with "Not Channing", Brown, and some combination of Kyrie and Rozier, is there a worse passing 1-4 assemblage/combination/lineup in the league?

The starting lineup's defense was much better with Baynes than with Morris if I recall.

I honestly like Morris and thought a lot of why he may be pretty far down has been the injuries. He was starting to look fantastic before the "hip" injury. Here's to hoping he'll be good to go when it really counts.

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2018, 02:25:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

The starting lineup's defense was much better with Baynes than with Morris if I recall.

I honestly like Morris and thought a lot of why he may be pretty far down has been the injuries. He was starting to look fantastic before the "hip" injury. Here's to hoping he'll be good to go when it really counts.

Yeah, I assumed as much regarding the team's defense, but I just thought that I'd ask, anyway, so TP :), and yeah, let's hope that he, along with everyone else, rounds into form by the start of the postseason.

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2018, 10:47:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Where does he rank now?

;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2018, 11:33:35 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Where does he rank now?

;)

Higher than Avery Bradley

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2018, 12:20:55 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Where does he rank now?

;)

In terms of actual plus/minus, he was a -13 tonight in 44 minutes. So when he was off the floor we outscored the Wizards by +12 points in 9 minutes.

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2018, 12:53:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Where does he rank now?

;)

In terms of actual plus/minus, he was a -13 tonight in 44 minutes. So when he was off the floor we outscored the Wizards by +12 points in 9 minutes.

And yet, he was the best Celtic on the floor, one bad defensive play notwithstanding.

Tatum, on the other hand, was +14, and he had a very mediocre game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2018, 01:28:52 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Where does he rank now?

;)

And yet, he was the best Celtic on the floor, one bad defensive play notwithstanding.

A good example of why statistics should be taken with a grain of salt, particularly over the course of a single game.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2018, 01:28:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Where does he rank now?

;)

Is there a stat for Tatum for the most missed opportunities to win a game. I think poor Tatum had the chance to end it like 3-4 times tonight and didn't succeed on any of them.

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2018, 02:13:16 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Where does he rank now?

;)

Is there a stat for Tatum for the most missed opportunities to win a game. I think poor Tatum had the chance to end it like 3-4 times tonight and didn't succeed on any of them.

Is it time to declare Tatum a bust now?  ;)

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2018, 02:30:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Is it time to declare Tatum a bust now

Very funny, I think I am getting closer to declaring the dancing bear to one though JK.   Certainly looking more like Ainge over reached with that pick.

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2018, 03:14:53 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
What is Marcus Morris's rank in unreal plus/minus?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."