Author Topic: Marcus Morris is 382th in the league in real plus and minus  (Read 18190 times)

Re: Marcus Morris is 382th in the league in real plus and minus
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Overall, I've still been a bit disappointed in Morris this season, as for most of the year he has been doo doo. But he has turned it around lately and had some excellent performances, reminding us all of the player he can be when he's at his best.

My issue with the original premise of this thread was never really about whether or not Morris was good or bad, but with the idea that RPM is a good measure of performance. It simply is not, because it isn't a measure of performance at all. It is prediction model, intended to tell us who will be the most impactful players going forward.

I just wish more people actually understood what RPM is, and get tired of seeing it incorrectly used in analyzing players.

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2018, 06:31:12 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Overall, I've still been a bit disappointed in Morris this season, as for most of the year he has been doo doo. But he has turned it around lately and had some excellent performances, reminding us all of the player he can be when he's at his best.

My issue with the original premise of this thread was never really about whether or not Morris was good or bad, but with the idea that RPM is a good measure of performance. It simply is not, because it isn't a measure of performance at all. It is prediction model, intended to tell us who will be the most impactful players going forward.

I just wish more people actually understood what RPM is, and get tired of seeing it incorrectly used in analyzing players.

Ya RPM isnt perfect, but saying its merely meant to be predictive and is in no way representative of the season someone is having is wrong. The data going in is based on the performance from that season, the better a guy played that year the better the RPM will be. There are corrections made to that data with things like age, past seasons performance, ect, in order to tell how real the performance might be but its still useful for seeing a how a guy generally performed that year. What you shouldn't do is worry too much about the exact number, rather look more at the company a player keeps and as always look at a varíety of stats to form an opinion.

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2018, 06:47:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Ya RPM isnt perfect, but saying its merely meant to be predictive and is in no way representative of the season someone is having is wrong. The data going in is based on the performance from that season, the better a guy played that year the better the RPM will be. There are corrections made to that data with things like age, past seasons performance, ect, in order to tell how real the performance might be but its still useful for seeing a how a guy generally performed that year. What you shouldn't do is worry too much about the exact number, rather look more at the company a player keeps and as always look at a varíety of stats to form an opinion.

But it is strictly meant to be predictive, that is the point of a predictive statistic. Otherwise it would be a descriptive statistic. But descriptive statistics, by definition, do not include anything but measures of past events.

I mean, sure, the better you play, the more likely it is you will have a good RPM ranking, that's just common sense.  But the point is, it's not a given and your RPM ranking relies on a great many other things besides just your performance.

In other words, it is not a direct measure of your play, period. It is a prediction model based partly on your play, and partly on other factors that have nothing to do with your play.

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2018, 10:58:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Bradley trade not looking bad after all! ;D

Not at all.

If you start with the idea that the trade was made to shed salary so that Hayward could be signed, it's reasonable to think that the trade was still ok even if Morris had a lesser season than Avery Brady has had. But after missing games early and playing his way back into shape, Morris is averaging 13.3 points on .504 eFG%, 5.5 rebounds per game, solid defense and only 1.1 TO in 26.5 mpg over the year. And in these games without Kyrie, he has stepped up big time as an offensive leader.

Bradley, after 40 games with Detroit, averaged 15 ppg on .473 eFG% and then was traded to the Clippers for 6 games before having to have surgery. Avery is going to want to be paid this summer, Morris is on a sweetheart $5.3 mil deal next year.

Morris has definitely been streaky, no question, but has he had a better year than Avery Bradley? I'd say yes.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2018, 09:51:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Now?  😏

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2018, 10:31:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
March has really made this thread seem quite dated
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2018, 10:47:59 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Morris may be swishin' and dishin', but this is unacceptable:

Quote from: thescore
Celtics' Morris gets tossed, slaps ref's rear end on way out

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1517334
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2018, 11:04:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The ejection was an absolute joke.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2018, 11:12:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Looks like it.  He literally just said "drop it" to Ibaka, and they were clearly separated when the ref made the call.  Some Celtic discrimination right there.

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2018, 11:18:14 PM »

Offline Mlewis1392

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
They were still jawing. Ref was trying to avoid an altercation id rather that ejection than a suspension if it escalated into something.. especially with Mooks background the man doesn't take anything im glad hes in our  fox hole

« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2018, 11:32:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Looks like it.  He literally just said "drop it" to Ibaka, and they were clearly separated when the ref made the call.  Some Celtic discrimination right there.

In decided games refs will often have a super quick hook to avoid a bigger altercation. They do it knowing the league will rescind it. Unless we missed something pretty big that's about the only excuse I can make for that ejection.

« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2018, 11:38:42 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
March has really made this thread seem quite dated

Correct.

He is playing better, and he has moved up to 310th in the league.

Nice job, Marcus!

« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2018, 11:45:47 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

In decided games refs will often have a super quick hook to avoid a bigger altercation. They do it knowing the league will rescind it. Unless we missed something pretty big that's about the only excuse I can make for that ejection.

Malice in the Palace being the perfect example.

They said if Joey Crawford was reffing that game, that whole brawl never would have happened, because he would have ejected guys before it got out of hand.

Quick whistle is okay here.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2018, 12:07:01 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Malice in the Palace being the perfect example.

They said if Joey Crawford was reffing that game, that whole brawl never would have happened, because he would have ejected guys before it got out of hand.

Quick whistle is okay here.

I didn't know they were often rescinded, which is fine.  Seemed excessive when they were well-separated, 10 seconds left, and no one seemed particularly elevated. 

Interesting tidbit, hadn't heard that before.  Not sure the SEALS could've stopped Malice in the Palace from happening, though.  Unprecedented number of dysregulated dudes in that game.  I guess it's also possible that Donaghy bet on an altercation that game.

« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2018, 10:26:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
MArcUs MoRRis IS 382Th iN thE lEagUE iN rEAl plUS aNd mINUs :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller