Author Topic: Who are the best trading pieces for the Celtics, besides draft picks?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Simple question, but perhaps not easy to answer. As the question is unsympathetic by its nature we often immediately go in a 'defensive' mode and start making a list of the players we really like and classify them as untradeable or some sort. However, in the NBA (or American sports in general) trades are based on exchanging assumed equality of value and not on buying players.

Therefore a lot of factors have to be taken into account like: current playing level, potential, age, position, player type, character, amount of salary, contract duration etcetera. For example it could be wise to keep a good player on a bad contract and trade a great player on a superb contract to obtain the best value and team in the end.

It's also based on what your objective is (shortterm, midterm or longterm improvement) and how you value the current Celtics team. Are small moves needed or do you want to shoot for the stars when the opportunity arises?

So who do you think should be prime candidates to send away (irreverently said) to improve the Celtics under the right circumstances?

(you don't have to give trade examples)

Re: Who are the best trading pieces for the Celtics, besides draft picks?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
My ranking would go like this:

(with regards to their trade value, not necessarily their current abilities as basketball players)

Tatum > Brown > Kemba > Smart ≥ Hayward > Grizzlies pick > Langford > Celtics pick > Bucks pick > G. Williams > Theis > Kanter > Timelord > meh > Poirier (negative trade value)

Or something along these lines.

The way I see it, nobody should be untouchable. Not even Tatum (although there is no realistic chance of us trading him).

So who do you think should be prime candidates to send away (irreverently said) to improve the Celtics under the right circumstances?
It depends on our trade targets. For instance, if we decide to upgrade the Center position, imo Theis should be expendable. If not, he is indispensable.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 05:41:12 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:01:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
best trading pieces pretty much start with your best player or best player with lots of upside still left in them down to the guy lucky to be collecting an NBA paycheck.  That's pretty easy.  The real questions are (1) who's worth trading your best player for and (2) where in that list of players is the realistic cutoff line between trading chip you'd part with and the players you keep short of getting the best player in the league.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 05:38:52 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
best trading pieces pretty much start with your best player or best player with lots of upside still left in them down to the guy lucky to be collecting an NBA paycheck.  That's pretty easy.  The real questions are (1) who's worth trading your best player for and (2) where in that list of players is the realistic cutoff line between trading chip you'd part with and the players you keep short of getting the best player in the league.

Yeah, my question isn't who'll give you the most value on the market (that would be Tatum without question). But what player(s) could or should be candidates to be traded (according to you) based on a ratio ''market value'' / ''Celtics value''.

I personally think Hayward is an example where his market value is weak in comparison to his value to the Celtics team, so he's very low on my list as a trading piece (not even considering contract negotations). Where on the other hand I'm just not so high on Grant Williams, but that I do think he'd have some value on the market.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 06:17:50 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The real questions are (1) who's worth trading your best player for
Assuming you are talking about Tatum, here are the guys I'd trade Tatum for:

Definitely Luka, Giannis, Jokic, AD (it would have to be a sign and trade)

Most likely Kawhi, as long as our medical staff has no concerns about his long-term health.

Probably SGA, but the Thunder would have to send us additional asset(s). I'm very high on SGA.

Possibly KAT, although I get why many of you guys wouldn't do it.

(2) where in that list of players is the realistic cutoff line between trading chip you'd part with and the players you keep short of getting the best player in the league.
There is no such line in my book. Everyone on our current roster should be available for the right price.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 07:07:26 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 08:45:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Most likely Kawhi, as long as our medical staff has no concerns about his long-term health.

Probably SGA, but the Thunder would have to send us additional asset(s). I'm very high on SGA.

(2) where in that list of players is the realistic cutoff line between trading chip you'd part with and the players you keep short of getting the best player in the league.
There is no such line in my book. Everyone on our current roster should be available for the right price.
Agree with the bolded. I probably am willing to trade Tatum for most MVP-calibre talents, eg. LeBron, Giannis, Kawhi, AD, Durant, Curry, Doncic, Harden and will contemplate trades involving high-end All-NBA calibre players who're still young like Jokic, Towns, Embiid, etc.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 08:50:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

my list would be even shorter for a Tatum trade. 
- Giannis if he agrees to resign here.
- Luka if he's truly healthy --> mostly because he's a much better ball handler and passer while being just as good a shooter.  He's got more time on his rookie deal which might be the deciding factor for me.  I haven't seen him play enough to know how good his D is.  That's what makes me hesitate.

After that, I don't think I move him for anyone else for varying reasons.
- AD - had no interest in coming here so I have no interest in moving Tatum for a rental
- Jokic - I like him but I think Tatum plays the position that's more the focus of the league now.
- KAT - questions about motor and effort. 
- Kawhi - several years older than Tatum.  costs more.  questionable desire to play in Boston long term.  needs his 'workload' managed
- SGA - not in Tatum's league.  Nice player to have.  Tatum is and will be better.
- Lebron - too old
- Durant - Health questions, much older, questionable desire to stay in Boston.
- Embiid - Health and attitude questions
- Zion - need to see a lot more but the kid makes an impact when he plays

no one else jumps out at me as an option worth considering.

And as for my book, it depends on your team roster and team chemistry.  We have really good team chemistry this year.  that makes a real difference on the court in terms of improved play.  I'd hang onto Tatum, Kemba, Jaylen at least.  Would take an unrealistically good deal to get me to move Smart or Hayward.  After that, I'd consider anyone else available if the deal makes sense for the C's.