Author Topic: Prospects I can talk myself into and prospects I can’t  (Read 2106 times)

Prospects I can talk myself into and prospects I can’t
« on: April 16, 2020, 11:56:39 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I’ll talk about the guys that will be within the Celtics draft range.

And I’ll start with guys I think Ainge should avoid - the guys who I see as the James Young’s and RJ Hunters of the 2020 class.

1. Aleksej Pokusevski. I’ve heard people on here debate the possibility about drafting and stashing this guy, but I don’t really see the point. Where some see the next unicorn I see Dragan Bender with a frame that makes Shawn Bradley look like Jared Sullinger. I’m talking RAIL THIN. Pokusevski may one day develops in to a pick and pop/play making back up big, but I’d be surprised if he did it any time in the next 5 years. He’s just not ready. I’d stay away.

2. Vernon Carey Jr. Statistically one of the most impressive big men prospects in the class, especially for a freshman. But stats never tell the whole story. Carey clearly has conditioning issues, doesn’t shoot well from outside, and doesn’t show much promise in being able to switch on defense in the NBA. This may be one of those unfortunate cases of a good player born in the wrong era of basketball.

3. Theo Maledon. I think a lot of people may fight me on this one. I look at the top PG prospects in this draft - Ball, Haliburton, Anthony, Hayes - and I see guys who have at least one trait that will set them apart at the next level. I don’t see that from Maledon other than he has pretty good size for a point guard. I watch Maledons game and I see a Mudiay/Exum hybrid at best. And he’s another guy whose years away from being years away. Pass.

4. Zeke Nnaji. Same as with Carey. Impressive stats for a young kid, but I can’t really see him excelling at anything at the next level outside of being a 10th/11th man, energy big off the bench a la Mikki Moore. Advertised as a threat from outside, but only averaged shooting half a three a game and only making 30% of those. Not enough of a sample size to warrant calling him a “stretch big.”

5. Daniel Oturu. Again, not the kind of big the Celtics are looking for. I think he’s a classic case of a good post defender in college who turns into a average post defender in the pros. And an average post defender is all he’ll be because of his inability to switch on to smaller guys. Not as good of a shooter as advertised either.

6. Precious Achiuwa. Achiuwa is advertised as a Marcus Morris/Paskal Siakam hybrid, with one problem - he doesn’t shoot the ball from outside at well at all. He put up good numbers in his first year at Memphis but is also a couple years older than most freshman. He runs the floor well, but really doesn’t get off the floor Quickly or gracefully at all. I’d be surprised if he became anything more than an energy big who can occasionally hit an outside shot at the next level. But I’ll be rooting for him just because his name sounds like a sneeze and is fun to say. But I hope Danny doesn’t take him.

DisHonorable mentions: Joel Ayayi, Leandro Bolmaro, Cassius Stanley, Devon Dotson, Tyrell Terry.

Ok, time to be positive for a change. Here are the guys I can talk myself in to being something at the next level.

Josh Green. Green may very well be off the board when the Celtics make their selection at 17. But if he’s still there, expect Ainge to take him, as he has all the characteristics Ainge has been looking for lately in prospects. Especially his maturity. I think Green, like Langford last year, falls in to the category of “probably would be a top ten pick the following year had he come back for his sophomore season. Also, already has an NBA body at 19.

Aaron Nesmith. Quality shooters have never been more of a premium in the league. Nesmith has no shortage of confidence and tenacity that will translate well. He may never be a shot creator capable of running the offense, but I can easily see him as a 12-15 PPG bench scorer who shoots the 3 ball at 40%. Not shabby for a mid first round pick.

Isaiah Stewart. Seems to be the most highly debated prospect on the board for some reason. People either love or hate him. I’m a firm believer that grit and energy translate well at the next level, and Stewart has no shortage of either of those things. He’s a big guy - 270 - but quick on his toes, making him more able to switch on defense than big like Carey or Nnaji. Wouldn’t be shocked if he became the next Montrezl Harrell.

Paul Reed. I can see Ainge giving serious consideration to Reed at 17. Excellent defender with great size, and can probably play some 5 in the NBA. His offense is nothing to write home about, but he had a tendency to shine in big moments at DePaul. This kids going to thrive somewhere.

Nico Mannion. Shows incredible decisio making/leadership/maturity at such a young age. Will most likely be a starting PG in the NBA someday. It helps that he’s a red head, and will instantly become a fan favorite in Boston.

Kira Lewis Jr. I’m actually shocked that I haven’t seen Lewis crack the lottery in any mock drafts. Easily the quickest player in the draft who was really impressive at a young age in a touch conference. I see shades of Rozier in his game..with the speed of De’Aron Fox. A lot of potential there.

Xavier Tillman. Tillman isn’t only one of the best defensive/play making bigs, he’s also incredibly likable, which I think goes a long with with Ainge and Stevens. His team mates love him and Tom Izzo said he’s one of the best defensive players he’s ever coached. Izzo also coached Draymond Green.

Jahmi’us Ramsey. Came in and shot the ball really well his first year at Texas Tech. Plus he’s got a little nasty TA/Smart in his game which we know Danny likes. Incredible athlete as well. May be a couple years away from contributing, but has all the tools.

Guys im on the fence about but could see making it: Jalen Smith, Jordan Nwora, Patrick Williams, Jaden McDaniels, Reggie Perry, Tre Jones

Re: Prospects I can talk myself into and prospects I can’t
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 01:41:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like Oturu if he is in the second round. My comp for him is Mark Blount, so serviceable but not a legit guy you want starting.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 03:02:27 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I like Williams and Ramsey as picks in our range. I think both are NBA players who have the potential to play in big games.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 07:15:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
We need Paul Reed!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 01:05:10 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Mannion William's smith

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 01:50:24 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
VERY EASY to talk me into:  P Williams, P Reed, X Tillman

RATHER EASY to talk me into:   S. Bey, A. Nesmith, T. Maledon, J. Ramsey, I. Stewart, D. Vassell, J. Ayayi, C. Stanley, R. Perry, A. Sylla, P. Achiuwa, K. Lewis Junior

HARD to talk me into:  Pokusevski, Josh Green,

IMPOSSIBLE to talk me into:   N. Mannion, V. Carey Jr., T. Jones,

*(we at Wiley Scouting Services reserve the right to switch our opinions around within minutes of  Celtic picks being called)

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 12:18:16 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

*(we at Wiley Scouting Services reserve the right to switch our opinions around within minutes of  Celtic picks being called)

Can’t let this pass without an lol!

In contemporary corporate-speak, this makes your company “nimble”.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 12:23:14 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Can’t let this pass without an lol!

In contemporary corporate-speak, this makes your company “nimble”.
Isn't it "flexible" lol :laugh: (just asking)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 02:01:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Who knows what is going through Ainge mind

But he usually loves higher ranked prospects that drop,  where he can scoop them up later

One thing unlikely is that makes all three picks and trades one for a future 1st

Security blanket to make a future trade or keep playing the flip 1st future 1st game until something he really likes

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:25:55 PM by Tr1boy »