Will the 2019-2020 season resume?

Yes. Some Regular Season Games To Finish, Then Postseason
18 (18.4%)
Yes. With Postseason Beginning Right Away
22 (22.4%)
No. It's Going To Be Cancelled
58 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?  (Read 20220 times)

Re: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2020, 11:49:36 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
I think we're done for the season. Can't see this pandemic ending any time soon.

If for some reason they were planning to take the season past June, what would happen to players who become free agents I wonder?

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 12:38:29 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I still think they will resume somehow, even if it means a tournament in August-Sept and a delayed start for next season. Too much money involved.

Too much coinciding with the Tokyo Olympics; the folks also have to participate in USA Men's Basketball too.

But alas, I think both NBA and the Olympics will be canceled and postponed, respectively.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2020, 12:51:10 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I still think they will resume somehow, even if it means a tournament in August-Sept and a delayed start for next season. Too much money involved.

Too much coinciding with the Tokyo Olympics; the folks also have to participate in USA Men's Basketball too.

But alas, I think both NBA and the Olympics will be canceled and postponed, respectively.

the Olympics are looking really doubtful for this year, Canada pulled their team out, and now Japan is talking more about rescheduling to 2021

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 09:42:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think they start around June 1st without fans and will cut the regular season to 72 games which will give most teams about 7 or 8 games to finish out (so like 3 weeks to get playoff ready).  They will then do a full post-season, again without fans, but will ensure that no team has more than a day off between games (unless they finish a series early).  Since there will not be fans, they can do earlier start times and basically make the first round have 4 games a day (say a 4, 630, 8, 10 start time or a 4, 7, 9, 11 or things like that).  That would make the post season go through like mid-August.  You then have a couple of weeks for end of year and draft prep with the draft at the end of August, a month and a half of free agency through like mid-October while doing "summer league".  Then start ramping up for the season looking at like a December 1st start date with another 72 game season, which would end around the same time as normal.  Then you are back to normal the following year.

I think a more permanent move of the season will be discussed (like always starting around December 1st or even January 1 and running through the summer), but ultimately they will go back to around what they always do.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think they start around June 1st without fans and will cut the regular season to 72 games which will give most teams about 7 or 8 games to finish out (so like 3 weeks to get playoff ready).  They will then do a full post-season, again without fans, but will ensure that no team has more than a day off between games (unless they finish a series early).  Since there will not be fans, they can do earlier start times and basically make the first round have 4 games a day (say a 4, 630, 8, 10 start time or a 4, 7, 9, 11 or things like that).  That would make the post season go through like mid-August.  You then have a couple of weeks for end of year and draft prep with the draft at the end of August, a month and a half of free agency through like mid-October while doing "summer league".  Then start ramping up for the season looking at like a December 1st start date with another 72 game season, which would end around the same time as normal.  Then you are back to normal the following year.

I think a more permanent move of the season will be discussed (like always starting around December 1st or even January 1 and running through the summer), but ultimately they will go back to around what they always do.

I would really really love for you to be right, but any form of basketball starting up on June 1st is not in line with what I am seeing and hearing working in the medical field unfortunately.

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

the Olympics are looking really doubtful for this year, Canada pulled their team out, and now Japan is talking more about rescheduling to 2021

Officially postponed:

https://twitter.com/usatodaysports/status/1242140945396662273?s=20

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I would really really love for you to be right, but any form of basketball starting up on June 1st is not in line with what I am seeing and hearing working in the medical field unfortunately.

Agreed.   I just don't see it happening.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2020, 04:43:00 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
some experts are stating that the virus will slow down once beginning of summer rolls around

The virus can't travel airborne like it can when the weather is colder and dry

Given that the virus has infected every single nation between the northern & southern tropics with exception of the Saharan nations, I would be hesitant to put a lot of stock in that notion.

Most Californians hate the 100-120-degree Fahrenheit heat during the summer, but maybe this summer could be an exception.
100 degrees rare in most of CA, never mind 120.
Yeah, 120 is scorching! That's Death Valley stuff

Summer of 2018 was deadly hot in July, 118 degrees at one point. Last summer wasn't that exceedingly hot, but still low 100s. But 100 degrees is pretty common...in Southern California in July - September.

In the winter, it does get kind of cold but Californians don't know what true cold is unlike my fellow brethren in the Eastern states.
In parts of southern CA, sure.  But in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, not so much.  Where I live, we might hit 100 every 2-3 years.  And I don't live near the beach or anything.

https://weatherspark.com/y/1846/Average-Weather-in-Fullerton-California-United-States-Year-Round

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2020, 06:06:14 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Can you elaborate on what you're hearing and seeing that would hinder this?

To me, playing without fans even early than June 1 seems reasonable, if only because pro wrestling (WWE and AEW) seems to be successfully doing the empty arena thing. 

I think both players and owners are going to want to get the product out there to get some money as opposed to no money.

On a side note, never thought of how "no fans" opens up new possibilities.  4 weekday games sounds awesome when you're stuck home with a quarantine. Pre-2000 that used to be the regular for the 1st round and it was great.  TBS would have games at 7 and 9:30, and TNT would have 8 and 10:30.

Also theoretically, with no fans, home court advantage kind of goes out the window (though I'm sure sleeping in your own bed has some advantages).  If you really want to go the extreme, they could play a whole series or even every series in one or two neutral locations to cut out travel and help everybody stay somewhat quarantined while they play.

Have all the East teams travel to and stay in one spot for the 1st 3 rounds, all the West teams do the same in a different spot.  That way players, media, officials, etc. aren't constantly traveling to and fro, limiting their exposure.  Being quarantined on the road, probably not too enjoyable for the players, but once those checks stop coming, they'll probably agree to anything to get that money coming back in.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:17:43 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2020, 07:36:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

To me, playing without fans even early than June 1 seems reasonable, if only because pro wrestling (WWE and AEW) seems to be successfully doing the empty arena thing. 

I think both players and owners are going to want to get the product out their to get some money as opposed to no money.

On a side note, never thought of how "no fans" opens up new possibilities.  4 weekday games sounds awesome when you're stuck home with a quarantine. Pre-2000 that used to be the regular for the 1st round and it was great.  TBS would have games at 7 and 9:30, and TNT would have 8 and 10:30.

Also theoretically, with no fans, home court advantage kind of goes out the window (though I'm sure sleeping in your own bed has some advantages).  If you really want to go the extreme, they could play a whole series or even every series in one or two neutral locations to cut out travel and help everybody stay somewhat quarantined while they play.

Have all the East teams travel to and stay in one spot for the 1st 3 rounds, all the West teams do the same in a different spot.  That way players, media, officials, etc. aren't constantly traveling to and fro, limiting their exposure.  Being quarantined on the road, probably not too enjoyable for the players, but once those checks stop coming, they'll probably agree to anything to get that money coming back in.
I wasn't necessarily thinking of neutral site games, but there really isn't much risk to the players, coaches, trainers, and refs if they all get tested and then only contact each other.  You play without fans, you don't need arena workers, you don't concessions, you don't even need media.  Just a few camera men that can stay far apart from each other and the people on the floor.  The announcing crews don't even need to be there as they can do that from anywhere in the world. 

They all get on private planes so travel isn't really as much of a concern as far catching it goes.  The only concern would be where they stayed the night, whether on the road or at home.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2020, 08:18:09 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
forcing an outcome to this NBA  season just doesn't seem necessary or priority in the great scheme of things to me right now.  The countries energy and emotion should be directed in a responsible way . Returning necessities for stable life is whats on my mind .  Return next year and do it right.

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2020, 09:36:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I think both players and owners are going to want to get the product out their to get some money as opposed to no money.

Here are some things that are going to make it pretty hard to justify playing basketball games 2 months from now (also we have to allow them to practice for a few weeks before they start for safety, given that they can't even practice together right now. So if we really want to say June first contact drills probably have to start May 15)

We are still learning about the disease, and how many different strands there are of it. We are seeing far more young people infected in our country than the rest of the world. There are things like 12 year olds on ventilators and people in their 30's and 40's getting very ill that was not observed in other places.

Many clinics have been shut down for anything "elective" or just shut period. We have 31 clinics that are not ER in the state of Colorado. From what I understand, 21 of those clinics are now closed as they are focused on converting beds and care providers to be able to treat the severe covid patients. However, these elective procedures can be very serious, like a tumor removal. It can be determined that the tumor removal can be delayed 3 weeks without killing you, but what happens at 6 weeks or two months? I don't think this is going to be resolved two months from now and there is going to be a major backlog on our healthcare system. Is it going to go over the public to have a full medical team on hand and potentially driving a player in an ambulance to a hospital for a torn ACL when many people are desperately trying to access care and can not?

Can you get the virus more than once? Even Fauci has not been able to see whether this is the case or not. Though most of the players that we know of had pretty minor symptoms, you have to imagine some of them would not feel super comfortable sweating up on another player if they just had it and don't know this info

How accurate is the testing? Is there a period when you can get a false negative? At this time there isn't a slam dunk full confidence answer on all the different kinds of tests that are being used with new ones being developed every day. This is probably a smaller concern than some of these other things I have mentioned, but our death toll is going to continue to rise over the next month dramatically. I think this is going to only make people more scared.

How does the testing exactly work? I don't envision a system in place where we have enough tests for the entire population 6 weeks from now. Is it ethical to be giving 320 players, staff and coach repeated tests after they are staying in hotels and traveling and playing games? How do you prevent the players from having contact with anyone or any surface? These are pretty serious questions and it would make the NBA look really really awful if they start up too soon and an arena worker, coach or player died or had to go on a ventilator.

Also for what it is worth our curve is currently worse than what we observed in italy. It is going to continue getting worse and we recorded our highest death total today. I don't think Silver can really even raise the possibility (without sounding horrible) of starting the NBA season again until people stop burying their friends, family and coworkers.

Also: I will add that I know some of this is more vague, but I really cant say more specific than I have for a lot of reasons.

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2020, 10:12:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Given all the state restrictions on gathering in groups and that we will most likely see many hotspots across the nation on very differently timed infection curves, by the time every state lifts the gathering ban in each and every NBA city, the NBA can't start.

San Fran is going to be on a different time curve than New York and LA and Chicago and Houston and Miami and New Orleans. And smaller more remote cities like Memphis and OKC could see their curve start in another month or so or even deeper into the year.

By the time every city is cleared for gatherings of 10 or more, just so they can start games without crowds it could be July or August...easy.

The NBA won't be returning this year. Their best bet should be to find the first available spot they can to run the draft combine and get the draft and free agency done. I don't know. Maybe Seattle will be the first US city to get better since it started their first. Try to hold the combines there once things get a bit normal.

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2020, 06:35:43 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Total normal doesn't happen again until there is vaccine so people can mass gather and go about their lives with something other than transmitting this virus on their brain .   Without a vaccine anybody ,  a ball boy , cheerleader , vender ,  TV crew , can show up at the Garden and start an outbreak .  Im for treatments to save lifes until that point and get many people as possible cured and back to work.

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2020, 09:12:49 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Given all the state restrictions on gathering in groups and that we will most likely see many hotspots across the nation on very differently timed infection curves, by the time every state lifts the gathering ban in each and every NBA city, the NBA can't start.

San Fran is going to be on a different time curve than New York and LA and Chicago and Houston and Miami and New Orleans. And smaller more remote cities like Memphis and OKC could see their curve start in another month or so or even deeper into the year.

By the time every city is cleared for gatherings of 10 or more, just so they can start games without crowds it could be July or August...easy.

The NBA won't be returning this year. Their best bet should be to find the first available spot they can to run the draft combine and get the draft and free agency done. I don't know. Maybe Seattle will be the first US city to get better since it started their first. Try to hold the combines there once things get a bit normal.

I agree with everything you said, and I think the only hope is the NBA gets very creative. For example season resumes in August with no crowds and playoffs go until October maybe into November with possibly no crowds if need be (or could have games played only in non hot spot regions to limit travel), have a well thought out abbreviated offseason, and maybe new season starts in January with a new timeline for the season. 

All of this is unlikely but I’m sure Silver is thinking of everything.