Author Topic: Boston Celtics Defensive Advance Stats  (Read 3656 times)

Boston Celtics Defensive Advance Stats
« on: May 24, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Individual defense based on Synergy. The link is below. For the people who keep blaming Thomas for our bad defense, read it and weep. Smart hasn't been a great defender these playoffs, but I know the Smart lovers will come up with some excuse. Who cares about facts right? 

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/867393433631064064

Re: Boston Celtics Defensive Advance Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:10:56 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Individual defense based on Synergy. The link is below. For the people who keep blaming Thomas for our bad defense, read it and weep. Smart hasn't been a great defender these playoffs, but I know the Smart lovers will come up with some excuse. Who cares about facts right? 

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/867393433631064064
i'm gonna make a thread about a player i hate too

jae crowder here i come
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't know what these digits mean, so forgive me if I'm not impressed... yet.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:20:33 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
You can present all the statistical analysis you want to "prove" the Sun really rises in the west.  I'm going to trust my eyes on that.  Likewise, a statistical analysis that "proves" IT is a better defender than Smart is equally untrustworthy.

I mean, I believe you can find numbers that show Smart's defense isn't as good as I think or that IT's isn't as bad, but one needs to have a tiny bit of common sense in order to not become an utter fool.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Lol this is where you advanced stat junkies are so off-base. This COMPLETELY lacks context and is highly misleading. From what I've seen about these particular numbers on Twitter, these statistics are based on the individual defensive matchups in the playoffs - you know, the defensive matchups where we do our best to HIDE IT all of the time.

So Smart's defense against the likes of Wade, Butler, Wall, Beal, Irving, Smith, and James are being compared to IT's defense on the likes of Rondo, MCW, Grant, Canaan, Porter, Beal, Oubre, and Smith. Real fair comparison there. That's essentially comparing how Smart plays defense against elite offensive players versus how IT plays defense against mostly scrubs and lesser offensive players. It's funny, why didn't you post virtually any other defensive statistic that rates IT near the very bottom of the league? Hmm.

Even for you, this is ridiculous to the point of trolling. Just watch the freaking games and use your own judgment on these players rather than quoting out of context stats to support your worldview.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/867418391602241539

He explains the categories here. It's the individual defensive matchups - plays defended/points allowed/points per play/etc.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
You can present all the statistical analysis you want to "prove" the Sun really rises in the west.  I'm going to trust my eyes on that.  Likewise, a statistical analysis that "proves" IT is a better defender than Smart is equally untrustworthy.

I mean, I believe you can find numbers that show Smart's defense isn't as good as I think or that IT's isn't as bad, but one needs to have a tiny bit of common sense in order to not become an utter fool.

Mike
I agree to this entire statement

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Lol this is where you advanced stat junkies are so off-base. This COMPLETELY lacks context and is highly misleading. From what I've seen about these particular numbers on Twitter, these statistics are based on the individual defensive matchups in the playoffs - you know, the defensive matchups where we do our best to HIDE IT all of the time.

So Smart's defense against the likes of Wade, Butler, Wall, Beal, Irving, Smith, and James are being compared to IT's defense on the likes of Rondo, MCW, Grant, Canaan, Porter, Beal, Oubre, and Smith. Real fair comparison there. That's essentially comparing how Smart plays defense against elite offensive players versus how IT plays defense against mostly scrubs and lesser offensive players. It's funny, why didn't you post virtually any other defensive statistic that rates IT near the very bottom of the league? Hmm.

Even for you, this is ridiculous to the point of trolling. Just watch the freaking games and use your own judgment on these players rather than quoting out of context stats to support your worldview.

Chill out. You continue to sound like a baby, lol. Just thought it was a fun post. I love Smart. Wish he was more consistent, but he is what he is. Imo Tony Allen was better only because he has been successful guarding Durant, and Kobe in the playoffs. Something Smart can't do.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
The main point I was trying to make is that Thomas isn't as bad on D as thinks. Our defense was crushed yesterday. JPotter could no longer whine about Thomas's D. It's all good. I understand people are sensitive when it comes to calling out Smart. But it's okay. You don't need to be a baby. Just look at the scoreboard without Thomas. Still can't play D. So let's ignore reality and pretend we have good defenders.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/867418391602241539

He explains the categories here. It's the individual defensive matchups - plays defended/points allowed/points per play/etc.
The only way this is meaningful if you compare how Thomas' assignment does when compared to being defended by an average defender. Even then, it's not very meaningful because sometimes letting a horrible offensive player go "off" for a mediocre offensive production is actually a winning strategy.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The main point I was trying to make is that Thomas isn't as bad on D as thinks. Our defense was crushed yesterday. JPotter could no longer whine about Thomas's D. It's all good. I understand people are sensitive when it comes to calling out Smart. But it's okay. You don't need to be a baby. Just look at the scoreboard without Thomas. Still can't play D. So let's ignore reality and pretend we have good defenders.
Nope, he actually is. You'd be surprised, but this doesn't prevent other players from being horrible defensively, or Brad S for being completely outmatched.

P.S. Schroder still better than Teague ;)

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
TankCity.

Do you believe Isaiah Thomas has defended better than Marcus Smart in the playoffs this year?

thats right. You dont. Because that would be a beyond ridiculous assertion.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

I'm not trying to impress you dude. Jpotter answered your concern.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 04:43:29 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Nope, he actually is. You'd be surprised, but this doesn't prevent other players from being horrible defensively, or Brad S for being completely outmatched.

P.S. Schroder still better than Teague ;)

Shroder is better than Teague lol. I agree

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 04:45:26 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
TankCity.

Do you believe Isaiah Thomas has defended better than Marcus Smart in the playoffs this year?

thats right. You dont. Because that would be a beyond ridiculous assertion.

Of course I don't. Do you take me for an imbecile? I just knew JPotter would blow up like he usually does at the mention of Smart. The guy is a baby.

Anyways, we haven't been good at D since Thomas has been injured. I think the team as a whole needs to get better at D. I hope my point makes sense now.