Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47303 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2017, 09:03:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
So apparently Bennett's contract is three years, $21 million, $6.3 million signing bonus, $7.2 million guaranteed. Seems very affordable, I wonder why we wouldn't match. The whole situation is very bizarre, given that he refused an extension that would have paid him $7 million per during the season...

The only thing I can think of is that he just crossed 30, and the theme of this offseason seems to be "getting younger.".
Could be. Also the contract seemed backloaded, which means he'd be occupying a hefty guaranteed cap slot when he's 33.

If that's true that Bill offered 7 mil per in the off season, than that's a very fair offer that Bennett declined.

Typical Patriots. You don't want our solid offer? Fine. Moving on we sign a younger, cheaper possibly better player.

« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2017, 12:49:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Today is Hightower's Birthday.

How about blowing out the B-Day candles and signing that contract extension here HT  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2017, 01:17:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So apparently Bennett's contract is three years, $21 million, $6.3 million signing bonus, $7.2 million guaranteed. Seems very affordable, I wonder why we wouldn't match. The whole situation is very bizarre, given that he refused an extension that would have paid him $7 million per during the season...

The only thing I can think of is that he just crossed 30, and the theme of this offseason seems to be "getting younger.".
Could be. Also the contract seemed backloaded, which means he'd be occupying a hefty guaranteed cap slot when he's 33.

If that's true that Bill offered 7 mil per in the off season, than that's a very fair offer that Bennett declined.

Typical Patriots. You don't want our solid offer? Fine. Moving on we sign a younger, cheaper possibly better player.
It seems I misread and it was offered before the season started. But in retrospect it still seems like a fair offer.

http://nesn.com/2016/12/martellus-bennett-reportedly-turned-down-7m-patriots-extension-before-season/
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Apparently the Jets and Patriots are the leaders for the services of Hightower.

.... The Jets?  :o

They actually seem like a franchise who would give HT "Von Miller Money".

Hopefully it's all a bluff and we keep him though at a good market price.

« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2017, 02:42:37 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Apparently the Jets and Patriots are the leaders for the services of Hightower.

.... The Jets?  :o

They actually seem like a franchise who would give HT "Von Miller Money".

Hopefully it's all a bluff and we keep him though at a good market price.

I was surprised to see the Jets mentioned. I would be disgusted if he went there.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Jets worry me because they're just about dumb enough to give him an unreasonably large contract (see Revis, Darelle).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:47:58 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The Jets worry me because they're just about dump enough to give him an unreasonably large contract (see Revis, Darelle).
thats my fear as well.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2017, 09:54:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Quick Updates:

1. Hightower will meet the Jets tomorrow. He could legitimately make a decision by tomorrow some time. Growing belief though is that he will stay with NE on a deal at 10M/Year (surprisingly lower than Gilmore).

2. Butler's agent is trying to convince teams to pay Butler "Gilmore money" and give up their first round pick to acquire him as well. I honestly kind of just wish the Pats gave him something close to that. He deserves it IMO and it's better to lock up this defense for years to come.

« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2017, 10:13:36 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Quick Updates:

1. Hightower will meet the Jets tomorrow. He could legitimately make a decision by tomorrow some time. Growing belief though is that he will stay with NE on a deal at 10M/Year (surprisingly lower than Gilmore).

2. Butler's agent is trying to convince teams to pay Butler "Gilmore money" and give up their first round pick to acquire him as well. I honestly kind of just wish the Pats gave him something close to that. He deserves it IMO and it's better to lock up this defense for years to come.

It would suck to lose him.  I can understand him wanting to get paid after the Pats shelled out money to Gilmore, though.  I don't know much about it, but I read that it's not uncommon for a guy to gauge his market value after a tender is placed on him.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2017, 11:10:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If I were Bulter's agent I would tell him to do what Asante Samuel did and hold out until the week before he would lose a year of vesting on his contract/pension. Don't risk injury. Come back in week ten. Become unrestricted free agent. Get paid.

« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:27 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Supposedly, the Patriots offered Butler 3 years/18-20 million last summer. That breaks down to

2016: 6 million - He made $600,000
2017: 6 million - Tender is 3.91 million
2018: 7 million - He'll be unrestricted, so in order to recoup the money he could have signed for, he'll need to be paid 14.5 million

Derek Simpson, the ambulance chaser lawyer that is his agent, turned it down, maintaining his client should be paid as a top CB on the market. As a result, the Patriots ended negotiation of any extension, having tired of Simpson's antics and refusal to negotiate in good faith.

« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
(Mini Rant)   :laugh:

Can we please just pay the man (Butler).

Say what you want about Butler, or his agent, or the "Patriot Way" method in FA.

This dude won us the SB in the final minute two years ago, and for the past two seasons he has actually played like an elite, or at least close to elite CB. Sure, maybe it’s the system, but even if that’s the case, he’s OUR ELITE CB.

If Gilmore is getting 5/65, then how is Butler not even worth around 11-12M/Year??? Hell even HT may end up settling under 13M/Year.

Also: Gilmore/Butler/Rowe >>>> Gilmore/Rowe/(Cyrus OR Coleman)

Rather have that for years to come then have another hole at CB (we also lost Logan Ryan already…)

« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2017, 12:30:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Supposedly, the Patriots offered Butler 3 years/18-20 million last summer. That breaks down to

2018: 7 million - He'll be unrestricted, so in order to recoup the money he could have signed for, he'll need to be paid 14.5 million

Derek Simpson, the ambulance chaser lawyer that is his agent, turned it down, maintaining his client should be paid as a top CB on the market. As a result, the Patriots ended negotiation of any extension, having tired of Simpson's antics and refusal to negotiate in good faith.
3/18-20 isn't negotiating in good faith for a top 10 CB.

The Pats are playing hardball, because Butler is restricted and they would love to match a contract he signs somewhere else. I'd be shocked if another team signs him to an offer sheet, because they know the Pats are going to match which further increase the Pats leverage.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2017, 12:34:50 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

The Pats are playing hardball, because Butler is restricted and they would love to match a contract he signs somewhere else. I'd be shocked if another team signs him to an offer sheet, because they know the Pats are going to match which further increase the Pats leverage.

It depends what the guaranteed money involved was.  I find it hard to believe that those numbers include any signing bonus. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2017, 12:45:36 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I think Belichick takes stats from a player with a grain of salt. He believes in the system more than individuals. I bet he thinks that Butler has more value on the Patriots than on another team. He did this with Welker and Edelman. In both instances, neither WR was able to secure a lucrative, long term deal with another team. Belichick was right not to pay top of the market for both WRs.

I was at the SB two years ago and love Malcolm Butler, but I think you're crazy if you think that Belichick cannot recreate this magic with another drafted/undrafted player. He has a proven ability to turn average athletes into above average football players.