Author Topic: UConn not #1  (Read 12707 times)

Re: UConn not #1
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 05:51:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
A single elimination tournament produces the best ratings and excitement, its an poor way to determine the best team. It produceds a champion, but its a one game sample. Fluky things happen in single games.

You misrepresent what the coach said Nick, did you actually listen to his interview? He never said that Ohio State was the champ. He said over the course of the entire season he thought they were the best team.

The obession with "clutch" and "getting it done when it counts" so often is just us as humans rationalizing what happened. All sorts of things just come down to chance, but as human beings we are wired to believe everything is controlable.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:00:34 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 06:49:27 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I would have done the same thing.  Even though Uconn won the NCAA Tournament Final they are not the best team in the nation to me.

I am biased though because I wanted Butler to win (feel bad for them had a great run and just put up a stinker) and would have put them at #1 if they won. 

So all I got from your post was that you're not a UConn fan. Thanks. ;D

Apart from that, I didn't even know there was a poll for after the NCAA Tournament. Who cares?

I mean, why is it UConn's fault that NONE of the #1 and #2 seeds were able to get to the Final Four? I thought part of the point of the regular season was to be able to rank these teams come Selection Sunday, and then the top teams get easier roads to the Championship, and the lower teams get put up against higher-ranked teams that they would be less likely to beat. Isn't that all that's talked about come the "Last 4 In, First 4 Out" discussions? "Well this team lost to that one at home blah blah".

You're trying to tell me we should crown Ohio State's behind as the best team just cause they got it done in the regular season? Can we do that for my Patriots too, for this year AND '07? Oh, they didn't win in the playoffs? Oh, no one cares about 18-0? Well geez, why should I care that Ohio State couldn't beat 6 teams, and maybe 4 considered hard, after supposedly being dominate all season?

And UConn....people will say they went on a hot streak. Well, I'd like to know what that meant in this particular case, considering they scored 66.3 PPG in the NCAA Tournament, which would have ranked them 71th in the nation. Infact, you wanna know what they averaged in the regular season (including the Big East Tournament)? 73.4, which is seven points more than their average in the NCAA Tournament. 66.3 PPG in the NCAA Tournament is not a hot streak, even for college.

They won the Championship with defense, Big East style, like you ALWAYS win championships. Did I miss something? They're a Big East team, one of the top conferences if not THE top conference in college basketball, who's walking around telling my Huskies they didn't prove they were the best team when it really counted? I have Charmin's, you know.  :D

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 07:05:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A single elimination tournament produces the best ratings and excitement, its an poor way to determine the best team. It produceds a champion, but its a one game sample. Fluky things happen in single games.

You misrepresent what the coach said Nick, did you actually listen to his interview? He never said that Ohio State was the champ. He said over the course of the entire season he thought they were the best team.

The obession with "clutch" and "getting it done when it counts" so often is just us as humans rationalizing what happened. All sorts of things just come down to chance, but as human beings we are wired to believe everything is controlable.
Faf, UConn was crowned champion. That means they won the tournament to decide who was this year's best team.

This coach is using ambiguous wording in the voting questionnaire to put forth a political or personal agenda. My guess is he is bucking for a future job at Ohio State, needs a favor from people at Ohio State or has had a bad history with the people at UConn because Lord knows if his team won the NCAA Tournament Championship he would be voting his team #1.

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 11:08:45 AM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164

Faf, UConn was crowned champion. That means they won the tournament to decide who was this year's best team.

This coach is using ambiguous wording in the voting questionnaire to put forth a political or personal agenda. My guess is he is bucking for a future job at Ohio State, needs a favor from people at Ohio State or has had a bad history with the people at UConn because Lord knows if his team won the NCAA Tournament Championship he would be voting his team #1.

Exactly
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I disagree that the team that wins the championship is always the "best" team in college basketball. Each game is about matchups some teams match up well with others.

With that said at the end of the day Uconn has the trophy and will be remembered and rightfully so as champions. They had the best 11 game run in college basketball this year without a doubt and fortunately for them it was the last 11 games of the year.

The NCAA tournament is exciting because the best team doesn't always win, but theres really no reason to rank the teams after the season Uconn won who cares if they aren't the best?

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 01:06:26 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
lol - too bad his opinion means nothing

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Let the machines decide since the BCS works so well in college football.  The heck with the tourney.

Oh wait a minute.....

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Let the machines decide since the BCS works so well in college football.  The heck with the tourney.

Oh wait a minute.....

Funny you mentioned this I was listening to Mike & Mike on ESPN and this very topic came up.

In their opinion college football get it "more right" when compared to college basketball since only the top 8 teams are "considered for the championship". 

What they failed to really mention is that only those top 2 teams (chosen by that BCS computer at least) are really only "considered" for the championship no matter what the other 6 teams do.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 04:08:11 PM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
Leave it to the Lumberjacks coach to make waves in this issue. There is a reason why college sports have their play-off system. The "best" team may not win it all, but who can argue that the team who wins it all is not the best? After all, they are the last team standing with the trophy in their hands.
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Oh wait a minute.....

Funny you mentioned this I was listening to Mike & Mike on ESPN and this very topic came up.

In their opinion college football get it "more right" when compared to college basketball since only the top 8 teams are "considered for the championship". 

What they failed to really mention is that only those top 2 teams (chosen by that BCS computer at least) are really only "considered" for the championship no matter what the other 6 teams do.

Yeah, and that the majority of teams are ineligible for the title game the day the schedules come out.  Since the BCS started like half-a-dozen teams have finished undefeated and still never had any real shot to even compete for a title.  At least basketball settles it on the court.