Author Topic: Get rid of the 3 point line.  (Read 19950 times)

Re: Get rid of the 3 point line.
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 02:52:10 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
You're kidding right...? The 3 point line is an integral part to the game of basketball. Might as well get rid of the paint  ::)
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
You're kidding right...? The 3 point line is an integral part to the game of basketball. Might as well get rid of the paint  ::)
And add trampolines?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
And add trampolines?

Slamball, anyone?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
when I coached freshman ball I didn't let my kids shoot 3s until they proved they could shoot from within 15 feet - and then proving they could shoot 50% from 3 unguarded - biggest pet peeve was kids coming into the gym and just jacking up 3s.  I do think for a developmental standpoint it really hinders the game.  The mechanics of the 3 point shot should be an extension of the inside shot, not an entirely different shot (which is what kids do when they're young and can't physically put the ball in the hoop from 3 pt land but want to)

Great breakdown...I was a PG/SG whose strength was jumpshooting and passing...

Your form on a 12 footer should be the same as a 23 footer. A lot of kids don't realize that. If you can't keep the same form, you shouldn't be shooting 3s.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 04:06:27 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
when I coached freshman ball I didn't let my kids shoot 3s until they proved they could shoot from within 15 feet - and then proving they could shoot 50% from 3 unguarded - biggest pet peeve was kids coming into the gym and just jacking up 3s.  I do think for a developmental standpoint it really hinders the game.  The mechanics of the 3 point shot should be an extension of the inside shot, not an entirely different shot (which is what kids do when they're young and can't physically put the ball in the hoop from 3 pt land but want to)

Great breakdown...I was a PG/SG whose strength was jumpshooting and passing...

Your form on a 12 footer should be the same as a 23 footer. A lot of kids don't realize that. If you can't keep the same form, you shouldn't be shooting 3s.

Couldn't agree more with both of you (except that my own game is trademarked by equal-opportunity weakness in jump-shooting, rather than strength).

Well said.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I have been saying this for years.  The 3pointer changed the game so dramatically, it needs to go.  People use it as a crutch.  Either you cannot play or choose not to learn the game so you just learn to shoot.

Its like the DH, it was a terrible idea that the fans like bc they want more of an arcade game than the pure form.

HRs and 3s put people in stands and so unfortunately both the DH and the 3 point line are here to stay.

Duke would never win another championship without the 3, that alone is a reason to get rid of it completely.

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10

There is nobody in the NBA (other than maybe the aging duncan)  That knows how to really use the lowpost.

The NBA used to be full of good low post players.

Al Jefferson, Elton Brand, Pau Gasol, Amare Stoudemire to name a few.  The 4 and 5 positions have evolved and there is more versatility at the position, but there's still plenty of talented low post skills in the game.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:22:14 PM by TheTruth34 »