Author Topic: Get rid of the 3 point line.  (Read 19978 times)

Get rid of the 3 point line.
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:28:31 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
Watching these kids try to play basketball in the tournament this year got me thinking.

I think basketball should get rid of the 3 point line at the high school and college levels.  Then maybe they might actually have to learn how to play basketball again.

The travesty that is being put on the court and called basketball needs to end.

Re: Get rid of the 3 point line.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:33:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Meh.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
You are obviously unimpressed with what you're see but you dont REALLY want the 3 point shot removed from the game do you?

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
make halfcourt count for 4 (:
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
when I coached freshman ball I didn't let my kids shoot 3s until they proved they could shoot from within 15 feet - and then proving they could shoot 50% from 3 unguarded - biggest pet peeve was kids coming into the gym and just jacking up 3s.  I do think for a developmental standpoint it really hinders the game.  The mechanics of the 3 point shot should be an extension of the inside shot, not an entirely different shot (which is what kids do when they're young and can't physically put the ball in the hoop from 3 pt land but want to)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 06:27:22 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
The current NCAA 3 point arc is 20 feet, 9 inches away from the basket. An NBA 3 pointer is 23 feet, 9 inches (22 feet at the corners). According to wikipedia.org the NBA actually experimented with shortening the 3 point arc to 22 feet during  the 1994-95, 1995-96 and 1996-97 seasons in order to counteract decreased scoring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_field_goal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRd9UVOFwW0
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:02:20 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
not sure i'm seeing how eliminating the 3 point line would help anything...

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 06:40:37 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I don't know, I think no 3 point line would might actually make the game worse at those levels.

It does so much to spread the floor, for both the offense and defense.

If you have a 3pt line, a couple of offense guys will hover around the line, clearing up passing lanes, making it easier to penetrate, and also to operate down low.

If you don't have a 3pt line, the defense can pack it in more.  At least with the 3pt line the defense has to extend to guard it.

With no 3pt line, you'll get a slower, more boring version of basketball.  Eliminating the 3pt line will not lead to better fundamentals, because it's not the cause of bad fundamentals.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
You are obviously unimpressed with what you're see but you dont REALLY want the 3 point shot removed from the game do you?

No I don't really want it gone but watching a college teams that don't know how to do anything but chuck 3's and dunk is hard to watch.  Makes for boring basketball.  The NBA is turning to that slowly.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
I don't know, I think no 3 point line would might actually make the game worse at those levels.

If you have a 3pt line, a couple of offense guys will hover around the line, clearing up passing lanes, making it easier to penetrate, and also to operate down low.

If you don't have a 3pt line, the defense can pack it in more.  At least with the 3pt line the defense has to extend to guard it.

With no 3pt line, you'll get a slower, more boring version of basketball.  Eliminating the 3pt line will not lead to better fundamentals, because it's not the cause of bad fundamentals.

There is nobody in the NBA (other than maybe the aging duncan)  That knows how to really use the lowpost.

The NBA used to be full of good low post players.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
So you're complaining about players adapting to playing with a three point line?
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 06:58:32 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
So you're complaining about players adapting to playing with a three point line?

No complaining about players forgeting how to play basketball and just standing behind the 3 point line and chucking it.  All game every game.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
If anything, I would go the other way and add a 4 pt line, but that's just me and the way I play. Like Toine said when asked why you shoot so many three pointers "because they don't have any 4 pointers"

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 07:09:44 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

If you don't have a 3pt line, the defense can pack it in more.  At least with the 3pt line the defense has to extend to guard it.

With no 3pt line, you'll get a slower, more boring version of basketball.  Eliminating the 3pt line will not lead to better fundamentals, because it's not the cause of bad fundamentals.

There is nobody in the NBA (other than maybe the aging duncan)  That knows how to really use the lowpost.

The NBA used to be full of good low post players.

And it also used to be boring.  Finals were on tape delay.

But what does the NBA have to do with your OP?  You said to take out the 3pt line in college and high school, so I assumed you thought it was ok to leave it in the NBA.  Eliminating the 3pt line in lower levels will not improve fundamentals.

Should we eliminate dunking too?  If kids can't dunk or shoot 3's, then that will take a lot of fun out of the game for those players unwilling to learn the fundamentals.  Then we'll have only serious players wanting to play the game.  And basketball as a whole will be so much better off.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:19:56 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133

No complaining about players forgeting how to play basketball and just standing behind the 3 point line and chucking it.  All game every game.

Shooting threes is forgetting how to play basketball? It's how it is today and it'll never go back to the way it was. Some college teams are great at shooting the 3 which, contrary to what you believe, makes a college team.. great. It sounds like you're saying anyone can shoot the three ball or something. I think bringing back the college three point line a couple feet is a better debate and something that could actually be done.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION