Author Topic: Frank Martin's antics  (Read 3280 times)

Frank Martin's antics
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I recently caught portions of a couple Kansas State games this past week.  I knew Coach Frank Martin was a bit of a nut, but he was out of control this week, both times on national television.  Shown numerous times screaming f-bombs in players faces, and at one point flipping out on an assistant.  He's already struck one player during a game, and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he snaps and physically assaults a player.

Coaches talk about trying to get the best out of their players, but I don't see any benefit in cursing out and humiliating a kid on national television and in front his his friends and family in the stands.  Think about it: if your boss or teacher stared you down and screamed f-bombs in your face every time you made a mistake, he or she would be on the unemployment line real quick.

Look, these games get intense and heated at times, but there's a fine line between intensity and losing control.  I can see getting angry at players at times over the course of the season, but he's in someone's face every 2 minutes.

Personally, I think his behavior is a complete disgrace, and if I was the AD at Kansas State, he's not someone I would want representing my program.  How can he be expected to teach his players discipline, if he shows no self-control during games?

After seeing this over the weekend, I'm curious to get some other CBers thoughts on him and his coaching style.

Re: Frank Martin's antics
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:25:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I recently caught portions of a couple Kansas State games this past week.  I knew Coach Frank Martin was a bit of a nut, but he was out of control this week, both times on national television.  Shown numerous times screaming f-bombs in players faces, and at one point flipping out on an assistant.  He's already struck one player during a game, and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he snaps and physically assaults a player.

Coaches talk about trying to get the best out of their players, but I don't see any benefit in cursing out and humiliating a kid on national television and in front his his friends and family in the stands.  Think about it: if your boss or teacher stared you down and screamed f-bombs in your face every time you made a mistake, he or she would be on the unemployment line real quick.

Look, these games get intense and heated at times, but there's a fine line between intensity and losing control.  I can see getting angry at players at times over the course of the season, but he's in someone's face every 2 minutes.

Personally, I think his behavior is a complete disgrace, and if I was the AD at Kansas State, he's not someone I would want representing my program.  How can he be expected to teach his players discipline, if he shows no self-control during games?

After seeing this over the weekend, I'm curious to get some other CBers thoughts on him and his coaching style.

woody hayes lives on... sadly.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Waiting for the inevitable Bob Knight comparisons.  Or maybe Bo Pelini.

I've seen some of Martin's antics.  As a Huggins protege I'd worry about bigger picture stuff than antics. 

Are his players graduating?
What kind of priority does academics play in their program?

This is all about the priorities of the AD

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Kansas State athletics is all about winning. At whatever cost.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 04:48:34 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I would be happy if my son played for either Knight or Pelini.

I'd be terrified of him playing for Martin.  At least from appearances.