Author Topic: NBCS Boston Layoffs / Abby & A-Sherrod Included (merged)  (Read 15816 times)

NBCS Boston Layoffs / Abby & A-Sherrod Included (merged)
« on: August 04, 2020, 04:24:11 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not good.  Looks like Abby got caught up in the lay-offs.

Per Chad Finn:

Among those let go are Abby Chin and Gary Tanguay. Those staying on include Trenni Kusnierek, John Tomase, Tom Curran and Phil Perry. Trying to confirm everyone individually, but make no mistake, its a bloodletting. (The company may keep on some they are laying off for 60 days.)
Quote Tweet

Chad Finn
@GlobeChadFinn
 · 1h
NBC Sports has been making mass digital and regional layoffs the past two days, and they have hit NBC Sports Boston hard today. Confirming names, but hear in upwards of 20 people, including on-air and behind-the-scenes talent.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:34:08 PM by Redz »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: NBCSN Boston Lay-offs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 04:35:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wow, that sucks! Abby Chin is great :( Really hope she and most of the others can get back on air somewhere.

Rough time to lose your job, with so much uncertainty. Hang in there!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: NBCSN Boston Lay-offs
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 04:35:48 PM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
That stinks, I really like Abby as a sideline reporter.
Not sad to see Tanguay go though, guy is a troll

Re: NBCS Boston Lay-offs
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 04:52:43 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 05:11:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Can we start a Go Fund Mue to keep Abby?

Come on.

That stuff ain't right.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 05:26:58 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Not good.  Looks like Abby got caught up in the lay-offs.

Per Chad Finn:

Among those let go are Abby Chin and Gary Tanguay. Those staying on include Trenni Kusnierek, John Tomase, Tom Curran and Phil Perry. Trying to confirm everyone individually, but make no mistake, its a bloodletting. (The company may keep on some they are laying off for 60 days.)
Quote Tweet

Chad Finn
@GlobeChadFinn
 · 1h
NBC Sports has been making mass digital and regional layoffs the past two days, and they have hit NBC Sports Boston hard today. Confirming names, but hear in upwards of 20 people, including on-air and behind-the-scenes talent.

Nooooo  :( Abby is my favorite sideline reporter. Such a shame. I guess NBCSB is bleeding. Looks like the ones they are keeping are the ones that can cover multiple sports. As for Tanguay, he's been there for years, maybe he's a salary dump.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 06:25:09 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Hope for the best for all these people, but Abby in particular.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 09:09:05 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Abby Chin and A Sherrod Blakely let go by NBC Sports
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 09:57:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This was very disappointing to read about.  I liked her a lot, and I know we made fun of his predictions, but he is actually a really funny guy, especially on the podcasts.

https://www.masslive.com/sports/2020/08/nbc-sports-boston-hit-with-major-layoffs-abby-chin-gary-tanguay-among-those-let-go-report.html

Re: Abby Chin and A Sherrod Blakely let go by NBC Sports
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 10:23:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I feel bad about Abby.  She was good at her job.

Sherrod...  I don’t like seeing anybody get fired.  I don’t think he was used in the proper role.  He was asked to report on trade rumors, and he just made stuff up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: NBCS Boston Layoffs / Abby & A-Sherrod Included (merged)
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 01:21:42 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
To fire a public figure as likable as Abbey Chin is a dumb move. 

I hope there is a backlash and they undo this (though she may leave now that they've dumped her).  Boston has been filled with ego maniac media dudes spewing hate quite often about their local teams.  It's refreshing to see someone with good positive energy, albeit not in the realm of opinion "journalism"  (quotes around journalism for Felger...and maybe a few others)....you keep people like Abbey Chin. 

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 04:25:15 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
To fire a public figure as likable as Abbey Chin is a dumb move. 

I hope there is a backlash and they undo this (though she may leave now that they've dumped her).  Boston has been filled with ego maniac media dudes spewing hate quite often about their local teams.  It's refreshing to see someone with good positive energy, albeit not in the realm of opinion "journalism"  (quotes around journalism for Felger...and maybe a few others)....you keep people like Abbey Chin.

Apparently the decision came down from NBC Universal.

I'm sure the logic is that because of social distancing and the bubble, there's no need for a sideline reporter...but when you have talented people who work hard, are charismatic and are committed, you try to find a way to keep them. I'm sure there won't be any shortage of job offers for her but I will miss her, she's been a part of the Celtics viewing experience, just like the rest of the NBCSB crew.

As for Sherrod, apparently he's taking up a teaching job at BU or somewhere local in the fall?

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 09:55:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
that sucks!!  hate losing Abby.  liked her positivity and the way she'd go back and forth with Scal to keep him honest and on his toes.  Not that I'm happy about any of them losing their jobs but she was one of the better (more likable) people they had.  should have kept her in exchange for Kyle Draper.

Geez, Danielle Trotter too?  what a mess they've made of that place

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
that sucks!!  hate losing Abby.  liked her positivity and the way she'd go back and forth with Scal to keep him honest and on his toes.  Not that I'm happy about any of them losing their jobs but she was one of the better (more likable) people they had.  should have kept her in exchange for Kyle Draper.

Geez, Danielle Trotter too?  what a mess they've made of that place

On the bright side, Tanguay is gone.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 05:34:00 PM »

Offline NorthStation

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I really liked Blakely's Celtic reporting. It's too bad he couldn't stick around. I'd rather see Forsberg get the axe. Tanguay's salary probably made it easy to get rid of him, plus with this pandemic he'll never leave the house.

Chin is some serious eye candy but she offered nothing and was likely another salary dump.

The network needs to get people back in the studio. The awful split screen zoom program looks and sounds terrible. I believe it would help ratings if they got those people back in the studio. Other networks do it. Why not them?