Author Topic: NBA teams should look at this kid - Harvard's Jeremy Lin  (Read 8656 times)

Re: NBA teams should look at this kid - Harvard's Jeremy Lin
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 08:06:41 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I cannot believe that the state player of the year in Calfornia got NO SCHOLARSHIP OFFERS!

How can the best player in California, not Maine or Winsconsin, but California, not get a scholarship. 

To be clear:  He wasn't California Player of the Year.  He was Northern California Division II Player of the Year.  I have no idea what the top California division is, but this kid may have been the best player in a lower league.

Yeah I think in California its like Division 1A, 1AA, 1AAA, 1AAAA, and then Division II starts.

Its not like lebron not being offered a scholarship. Its like that good asian kid at your school not being offered a scholarship.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I cannot believe that the state player of the year in Calfornia got NO SCHOLARSHIP OFFERS!

How can the best player in California, not Maine or Winsconsin, but California, not get a scholarship.

To be clear:  He wasn't California Player of the Year.  He was Northern California Division II Player of the Year.  I have no idea what the top California division is, but this kid may have been the best player in a lower league.

Yeah I think in California its like Division 1A, 1AA, 1AAA, 1AAAA, and then Division II starts.

Its not like lebron not being offered a scholarship. Its like that good asian kid at your school not being offered a scholarship.

Yeah, that changes the whole thing.  I was appalled that the best California high schooler wouldn't be able to get a scholarship.  However, considering that he was in a lower division, things are making a little bit more sense.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free

Yeah, that changes the whole thing.  I was appalled that the best California high schooler wouldn't be able to get a scholarship.  However, considering that he was in a lower division, things are making a little bit more sense.

So maybe he was in a lower division, but divisions in high school are not really as significant as they are in College.  Divisions at the High school level are based on population, not on talent.  Lets say he was the best player in D2 in Cali.  Wouldn't that put him at least in the top 25 players in the state of CALIFORNIA?  Again, not Maine, or Wisconsin, but California.  How many players go to a D1 school every year?  To think this kid did not get ONE SINGLE OFFER is beyond me. 

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13

So maybe he was in a lower division, but divisions in high school are not really as significant as they are in College.  Divisions at the High school level are based on population, not on talent.  Lets say he was the best player in D2 in Cali.  Wouldn't that put him at least in the top 25 players in the state of CALIFORNIA?  Again, not Maine, or Wisconsin, but California.  How many players go to a D1 school every year?  To think this kid did not get ONE SINGLE OFFER is beyond me. 

Well, since he was 1st Team All-State, I assume he was one of the top 25 players in the state.  Regardless, this guy has gotten bigger and stronger since then and has a NBA body. He looks like he can hang with the big guys.  As an Asian American myself, I would love to see an American born Asian player get a shot in the NBA.  I'm a bit tired of NBA teams going abroad to look for talent there.  Lin would be a pioneer for Asian American players if he were to make it.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 11:55:33 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
me too, i would love to see Jeremy Lin in the NBA...Im also an Asian American, and Ive always wondered why there are no Asian Americans in any pro-sports...all the asians you see in pro sports whether it be NBA, NFL, MLB...all of them were drafted from another country... but none of them here...

I agree with the people above...in the state of Cali, being voted 1st team...you gotta have some talent and should be offered a scholarship at least...i mean this is his senior year right so his chances are actually pretty low in my opinion...

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 12:38:14 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I have been wondering what happened to that quaterback from Hawaii University that was Asian American.  What happened to him?  Is he still playing college?

Also, you like Asian American athletes, check out the Brazilian league.  They are legitimate Brazilians, only Japanese descendants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_duhIhFouk
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 12:59:09 AM »

Offline Spoon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
There seems to be a stereotype with athletics.

Asian = Good
Asian-American = Bad

Colleges have been giving crappy players from China scholarships for the past few years. Obviously hoping to find another Yao. Hasn't worked. 

-Max Zhang of California who has done crap and is a big stiff. 
-Ji Xiang of Hawaii who hasn't done anything, but sit on a bench for years taking up oxygen.
-Shang Ping of Nebraska. Sometimes mentioned as one of the worst players ever to play a minute in the Big-12.

And there are more. All these guys got full scholarships the past few years and not Lin.

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 02:59:36 AM »

Offline BigRedDog423

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I was at the Harvard BC game last week and this kid was unstoppable. He was in total control the whole game. The stats don't even do it justice. He was far more impressive up close than say Jeff Teague was last year. I think he has NBA talent.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 04:45:03 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I was at the Harvard BC game last week and this kid was unstoppable. He was in total control the whole game. The stats don't even do it justice. He was far more impressive up close than say Jeff Teague was last year. I think he has NBA talent.

Yup ... this kid is awesome, and under-rated ... just the kind of "buy" that Danny is so good at acquiring. I would love this kid in green ... wishing. The problem is he's not considered truly "tested" because he's an Ivy Leaguer, but I say he could stand his own ... on either level, (despite my bias for all things Ve Ri Tas ;)).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *