Author Topic: Before we all anoint Evan Turner  (Read 12836 times)

Re: Before we all anoint Evan Turner
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 12:06:36 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Evan Turner is a decent defender. You can find a few bad highlights for every player in the league if you want to.

You are apparently the first person ever to say "Evan Turner is a decent defender".

Now that's hilarious ;D  TP.
That is great!  I missed it the first time.  +1

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 12:06:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Dude, to be fair, there aren't that many in the NBA who are great at defense. Carmelo Anthony isn't great at defense, LBJ is average, so is Kobe. Even Avery Bradley isn't the best at defense, yes he is a lockdown defender but even he has been poor at times defending.

Turner is more of a scorer and we supposedly lack scoring, so it works out, and Turner can only get better with Stevens and he can get better at defense with him.

LeBron James is an average defender? Huh.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 12:07:58 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
As, "fill in the blank," it's important to remember how bad he is defensively.  Even the most generous of fans have to admit that these two highlights are atrocious.  Getting dropped by Jeff Teague?  Okay, I can see that given Teague's distinct quickness advantage, but to be crossed by Steve Nash, and on his 40th birthday no less, :o is inexcusable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-WQhRNOPCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJECUj9iv6U

To both I say -

Okay, and your point? Everyone knows ET is terrible defensively...

Everyone at Celticsblog is so quick to judge and be negative...

Turner came to the Celtics with the help of Falk, because HE wanted a fresh start, and wanted a new environment. So if hes willing to listen and give us a chance to try out, and see what he can accomplish under Coach Brad Stevens system, why can't you?

Wow, you're being more than a little ridiculous.  I never said that I didn't want the guy to succeed (I hope that he does), I was just trying to illustrate a point that was made in other threads about him being good to solid, defensively.  I'm sure that he can turn it around, it's just that these two clips are pretty discouraging.

You created a thread called, "before we all anoint Evan Turner."

You then posted two highlight plays in which Turner got crossed over/ankle broken. That has happened to like almost every player in the NBA... I don't know who has said Turner is a great or solid defender. Hes average. Solid is putting it nicely.

I mean your original post/premise of it is pretty negative, and I mean no offense, so please excuse me if I'm being a little ridiculous.

I like to think Evan 'Kermit,' Turner will actually perform pretty well, since there isn't any instantaneous pressure on him like there was with the Pacers/76ers.

I agree.  I just wouldn't expect him to be the second coming of Pierce, as was suggested on the homepage ::)  I believe the exact phrase was, "Paul Pierce 2.0."  Wow.  At any rate, I apologize, I wasn't trying to be a troll or anything.  Where does the Kermit nickname come from?  I'm not sure if it's the best idea to call him that, seeing as he has gotten into fights with players, although certainly not to the extent of Kermit Washington.  I know that you're referring to the beloved Muppet :)  Hopefully, Turner will find it easy being green ;)

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 12:11:38 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Evan Turner is a decent defender. You can find a few bad highlights for every player in the league if you want to.

You are apparently the first person ever to say "Evan Turner is a decent defender".

This is absolutely fantastic.

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 12:17:51 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Dude, to be fair, there aren't that many in the NBA who are great at defense. Carmelo Anthony isn't great at defense, LBJ is average, so is Kobe. Even Avery Bradley isn't the best at defense, yes he is a lockdown defender but even he has been poor at times defending.

Turner is more of a scorer and we supposedly lack scoring, so it works out, and Turner can only get better with Stevens and he can get better at defense with him.

LeBron James is an average defender? Huh.

Yeah, I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it.  Trust me, I hate Lebron, but he is, unfortunately, incredible defensively.  He can guard anyone not named Rondo :)

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 12:19:02 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

This is absolutely fantastic.

and phrasing is everything...

this search below of "evan turner is a good defender" brings up hundreds of thousands of results

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 12:22:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
the are millions of links about Jay Z and the Illuminati, too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 12:29:32 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
not supporting Turner or knocking him...but really?  2 clips is proof that he is awful?  Remember in the playoffs, Lebron went to close out Patty Mills and Mills blew by him and scored a layup? Im sure that happened to Lebron multiple times in a long season... So he must be an awful defender by your standards.

Nash, even at 39-40, has beaten defenders on a nightly basis. I played city league until I was 50, and still made the young guys look silly once or twice a game. In turn, they owned me on  more than a few occasions as well. Lets just wait and see...

No, Lebron is an amazing defensive player who, in that instance, did not perform per his usual standards.  It happens.  Turner's reputation is hardly that of James, so the clips are more or less highlighting what Pacers fans found out last year - he was terrible defensively.  I read an article that showed the stats for Indiana's defense while he was on the court, and it was horrible.  I don't know where that report is, but I'm sure that you can find it.

TP for playing so well for so long, btw.  I always sucked at basketball, haha, but I do know that an old mind can better a young, spry athlete on any given play.  It's just that, well, the guy really looked clueless, haha.  I'm hopeful that he can, and will, improve here, but yeah, we'll see.

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:06 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Who on this blog has anointed Evan Turner as anything?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:17 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Right, but Anthony could be at least a decent defender if he ever put in the necessary effort.  He certainly has the physical tools.  I don't know what Lebron you've been watching, so I'll  leave it at that.  Kobe was a pretty good defender in his prime, although I believe many say that he is more Pippen than Jordan on that end, which is apparently some kind of knock on the guy.  I think Doc once said that Kobe was the best help defender or something since Pippen, but he never played like Jordan, or even Lebron, on defense.

Btw, that highlighted sentence is probably the most confusing one I've ever seen.  You switched sides three times ;D

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 12:52:40 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah if anything, he's anointed as the worst player on the planet judging from the reactions.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 12:54:40 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Right, but Anthony could be at least a decent defender if he ever put in the necessary effort.  He certainly has the physical tools.  I don't know what Lebron you've been watching, so I'll  leave it at that.  Kobe was a pretty good defender in his prime, although I believe many say that he is more Pippen than Jordan on that end, which is apparently some kind of knock on the guy.  I think Doc once said that Kobe was the best help defender or something since Pippen, but he never played like Jordan, or even Lebron, on defense.

Btw, that highlighted sentence is probably the most confusing one I've ever seen.  You switched sides three times ;D

The Mitt Romney strategy is deployed often on celticsblog :)

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 01:00:54 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
the are millions of links about Jay Z and the Illuminati, too.

They got him, too?  NOOOOOOOOOO (sarcasm)!!!

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 01:03:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

The Mitt Romney strategy is deployed often on celticsblog :)

TP for the laugh ;D

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Yeah if anything, he's anointed as the worst player on the planet judging from the reactions.

Have both of you missed the Evan Turner is Paul Pierce comments?