Author Topic: The pecking order has been established finally  (Read 5023 times)

Re: The pecking order has been established finally
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 09:49:59 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Yea I don't think Hayward is really that put upon:

Celtics current scoring leaders:

1 Tatum, J. 23.3
2 Walker, K. 21.8
3 Brown, J. 20.4
4 Hayward, G. 17.1

Pretty nice balance amongst the 4.

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 09:53:09 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
There's no doubt that Hayward would be most comfortable in a 2nd or 3rd option scoring/creating role. He is so unselfish. He's perfect for that role.

Kemba Walker is best suited for a 2nd or 3rd scoring/creating option too, primarily due to his size. He struggles to score against elite length, but if he can attack that length off of creation by someone else, he efficiency goes up.

Jaylen Brown is just not quite good enough yet to carry an offense. I really like his game. More and more reps will get him used to the speed of the game and help him make good reads. Brown is much more suited to be an explosive scorer next to a primary scorer, but not have the offensive consistently revolve around him.

These guys compliment each other well. People that say, "Ainge is lucky that Hayward" blah blah blah don't understand that Ainge has built this team around unselfishness and intelligence. These are the guys he has picked for a reason.

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 10:03:00 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
1. Tatum
2. Brown
3. Kemba
4. Hayward
5. Smart
6. Theis
7. Kanter
8. Wannamaker

Those are the best players on the team in that order. I'm so glad there is no longer any confusion with the pecking order on this team.
Brown isn't #2 yet. He's still tentative at times.

The true order emerges in the last 2 minutes. It's Tatum, then Kemba. Brown will be #2, but he's not there yet.

Really aggravated me this year how Tatum was prioritized over Hayward. Hayward would be getting 21/7/6 plus somewhere else. Tatum is coming on like crazy so I gotta be happy but I think Brad is pathetic with delegating. We’re lucky Kemba, Hayward and brown are this unselfish. Brown or Hayward says a goal is to average 20 ppg? Oh my god people would lose their mind in Boston. They’d hate in them so bad.
Tatum is the alpha. They've all known it all year, even when Tatum wasn't shooting well. Even Kemba has usually deferred to him.

Brown has been forced into opportunistic mode for almost his entire career. He's become pretty amazing at it, and that's valuable on this team because he doesn't need much possession time.

This is the first year the team goes to him to create, and they generally do that as the 3rd or 4th option. I guess it depends on your definition. He's our second most important scorer, but not our second go to guy.

I do think that is changing fast. As amazing as Tatum is, he doesn't blow by people as easily as Brown does, and he'll never be as strong. Brown doesn't need as many skills to become a go to scorer. He just needs reps.

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 10:59:50 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
When Tatum left the game against Utah, Brown took on the lead role and the team didn't really miss a beat. I think Brown is capable of carrying the offense when Tatum sits. I have Brown #2 in the pecking order because Kemba is way too small and he can be locked up by length. Hayward is #4 because he is just way too inconsistent and scoring is not his best attribute.

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
Good teams don't have pecking orders. They all step up when and where it is needed.

Roles can change, daily, weekly, nightly.

We have a solid young team we need to keep Locked up financially for awhile. Our best years are two Years out.  This year is gravy.

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Good teams don't have pecking orders. They all step up when and where it is needed.

Roles can change, daily, weekly, nightly.

We have a solid young team we need to keep Locked up financially for awhile. Our best years are two Years out.  This year is gravy.
So were the 2003 Spurs good?

What about the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 Heat?

The 2014-2015 Warriors?

Having a pecking order isn't about only going to the top guy, its about structuring the offense with your primary option and then filtering this down.

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 11:28:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
1. Tatum
2. Brown
3. Kemba
4. Hayward
5. Smart
6. Theis
7. Kanter
8. Wannamaker

Those are the best players on the team in that order. I'm so glad there is no longer any confusion with the pecking order on this team.
Kemba if healthy is clearly the number 2.

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 01:25:02 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
1. Tatum
2. Brown
3. Kemba
4. Hayward
5. Smart
6. Theis
7. Kanter
8. Wannamaker

I'm not seeing it. Kemba can only score off screens and if the guy defending him is long Kemba can't even really get that shot off cleanly. Brown doesn't have the offensive limitations that Kemba does. Kemba is just way too short.

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 01:29:57 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
1. Tatum
2. Brown
3. Kemba
4. Hayward
5. Smart
6. Theis
7. Kanter
8. Wannamaker

I'm not seeing it. Kemba can only score off screens and if the guy defending him is long Kemba can't even really get that shot off cleanly. Brown doesn't have the offensive limitations that Kemba does. Kemba is just way too short.
If you think Kemba can only score off screens like some role player, I doubt the amount of Celtics games you've watched this year. Dude's great in the clutch.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 01:34:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think we must be careful with "Pecking" orders...

IMO that is NOT the BOS way...

YES - Jayson Tatum is playing GREAT right now...no he is NOT playing out of his mind BUT he is reaching his potential which is awesome.

But we should be careful about pecking orders....whoever has the hot hand should be fed...right now it is Tatum, Saturday against HOU it could be Jaylen or Hayward...or even Smart.

Must be careful about the media's attempt at dividing and conquering this team. BOS teams of old were / ARE - built on Chemistry.

If it wasn't for some Jaylen injuries this year he could very well have made the AST too - and he is likely to make it next year.

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
1. Tatum
2. Brown
3. Kemba
4. Hayward
5. Smart
6. Theis
7. Kanter
8. Wannamaker

The way I see it, there are 2 different rankings: one for the regular season and one for the playoffs.

Regular season
1. Tatum
2. Kemba
3. Brown
4. Hayward
5. Smart
6. Theis
7. Kanter
8. Grant
9. Wanamaker
10. Langford

Playoffs
1. Tatum
2. Hayward
3. Smart
4. Kemba
5. Brown
6. Theis
7. Kanter
8. Grant
9. Wanamaker
10. Semi
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:55:09 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2020, 01:51:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
1. Tatum
2. Brown
3. Kemba
4. Hayward
5. Smart
6. Theis
7. Kanter
8. Wannamaker

Kemba is one of the very best PnR players in the league. And he's also top tier in isolation.

I do agree he's not an elite isolation scorer unless its a mismatch on someone like Gallo (I was a that OKC game). But he's so good in the PnR the Celtics can get just that mismatch in clutch situations, and Kemba has brought the Celtics home this year.

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2020, 01:57:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I see Romeo is under respected by this board.

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2020, 02:41:17 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
1. Tatum
2. Brown
3. Kemba
4. Hayward
5. Smart
6. Theis
7. Kanter
8. Wannamaker

If you think Kemba can only score off screens like some role player, I doubt the amount of Celtics games you've watched this year. Dude's great in the clutch.

Haven't missed a game this year. Kemba is an all star for a reason but he has height limitations. It's not a knock on him it's just reality.

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2020, 04:14:14 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
1. Tatum
2. Brown
3. Kemba
4. Hayward
5. Smart
6. Theis
7. Kanter
8. Wannamaker

Kemba scored 60 points against Philly, one of the league's taller teams, in a game last year and averaged 37pts in 4 games against them. Here's how he fared against them by player.

Definitely too short and struggles against length  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D