Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences  (Read 131497 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2013, 07:01:34 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Brooklyn: What is the reasoning behind starting Manu and electing Tyreke to be your sixth man?

I think that you'll readily agree this is in everyone's best interest. As far as Manu and the starting five:

(1) Westbrook is a score-first point who needs a well-rounded guy at the 2 who can facilitate to play off of.
(2) Our starting 5 benefits greatly from Manu's shooting.
(3) Our starting 5 is very young, and Ginobili will be the glue to bind them as a unit, particularly on defense.

As far as Evans goes

(1) he has played for a team with no plan thus far in his career, and my starting 5 is going to need discipline
(2) Evans has versatility to play at the 1, 2, or 3 and aggressiveness to go get points in the modern sixth-man mold

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2013, 08:18:52 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Again, like I stated, I dont see ZBo riding the bench at the end of the game. Its all about who finishes the game not who starts it. However, if the game calls for a defensive stop. It just makes logical sense to put Lopez and Sanders in to protect the rim. This Knicks team is full of High IQ, good character basketball guys that will have to buy into the system and mesh together. Chemistry is the key to winning.

Any 32 year old PF who has been in the league for 12 years in a position to play with a very legit contender and win a championship while still getting his numbers and stats while also getting his same minutes, and a chance at an individual award like 6th man of the year, will be able to take whatever role is best for the outcome of the team. If there was a crazy reduction in minutes and touches then we might have a problem. But ZBo's role, in essence, is even more important as a 6th man here than it would be as a starter.

Well, getting defensive stops is generally a common theme at the end of the game, so there's certainly going to be many situations where Z-Bo won't be in the game during crunch time. Randolph doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who's simply content getting stats and accolades, so I still remain very questionable about Z-Bo's role on this team.

However, moving in a new direction with both you and Boston, what separates you from each other? I know it's still early for head-on-head clashes, but so far I haven't read anything that definitely puts one above the other as the best team of the division.

Dont want to get in a head to head clash just yet but for the sake of answering the question. I think my squad is slightly better on both offense and defense while also having more talented depth off the bench. My players can out score Boston and also defend them better.

Gasol and Jonas won't be able to guard Lopez and Randolph. The constant pounding downlow and the many ways the can score will hurt them down there. With Gallo hurt that leaves Brewer to guard Green. Brewer has good length and is a good defender but Green will be able to out muscle Brewer to the basket. Haywood and Martin are similar players but Martin can score on any body.

Rubio will have his handful guarding Irving but so won't anybody in the league. At least Rubio has the quickness to stay in front of him and his 2.4 steals a game helps as well. Hinirch also can come in and be a pest to Irving. I don't see anyone on the Boston bench that i would fear as much as Randolph or Williams, even Hinirch.

Other than Irving, Gasol will put the most points on the board and he will have trouble scoring on Sanders as well as dealing with the big bodies of Randolph and Lopez. Also have better experienced veterans who are young and can still play at a high level. Hinirch, Martin, Garcia, Randolph, Frye, Udrih, and even Lopez(making his 6th year leap) are all heady vets with expereince under their belts yet are still in their primes.

Advantage. Knicks.

Even beyond that, I think the answer is simpler.  Gallo is going to miss a significant amount of time, and Gasol is reportedly on a minutes limitation.  That's going to negatively affect Boston's regular season record.

Well, I dispute that it'll keep me from the top of the division. I've got a better leader, a better franchise player, better fits offensively, and a more talented starting 5. And a better coach

I would definitely, while politely, beg to differ that you have a more talented starting five. Irving might be the best talent on the two squads but ranking each of our players 2 - 13 I think each of my players, with the exception of maybe a Gasol/Lopez tie at the 2 slot would rank more talented.

Id say that I have the better players at 1, 2, 3, and 4, with not as big a drop off at the 5 as one might think. But that's what you get when Im talking about my guys, I went out and drafted/traded for them because I like them.

I will say though that Larry Sanders has a great chance to be a better player than Pau Gasol next season. I don't like him next to Lopez (as you know), but I love him as a player. Huge fan, could have a legitimate shot at DPOY next season with a little more consistency and discipline.

Understandable as I think highly of my guys in the same way.

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2013, 08:22:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If New York were to start Z.Randolph, I wonder if Kirk Hinrich would make more sense than Kevin Martin in the starting lineup:

G: Ricky Rubio, Beno Udrih
G: Kirk Hinrich, Kevin Martin
F: Jeff Green, Fransisco Garcia
F: Zach Randolph, Derrick Williams
C: Brook Lopez, Larry Sanders

Use Kevin Martin in that 6th man role that he played so well in OKC. Like New York did with JR Smith last season. And have Larry Sanders in that backup PF/C role like Cleveland used to use Anderson Varejao when the Cavs were a top team in the East.

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2013, 08:33:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
If New York were to start Z.Randolph, I wonder if Kirk Hinrich would make more sense than Kevin Martin in the starting lineup:

Use Kevin Martin in that 6th man role that he played so well in OKC. Like New York did with JR Smith last season. And have Larry Sanders in that backup PF/C role like Cleveland used to use Anderson Varejao when the Cavs were a top team in the East.

Certainly a plan for Karl and I to think about. In the hours leading up to the trade deadline I was looking for a 2 guard who could start to move Martin to the 6th man role. Replacing him with Zbo makes Martin the man of the second unit and still have enough touches to go around.

I just think Randolph would be absolutely dominate off the bench getting the same minutes he receives on a normal basis and the Sanders Lopez combo is just deadly downlow. Again, a good option to have though depending on certain matchups and what teams we will match up against.

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2013, 08:33:42 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I like it. Could certainly work.

You'd get plenty of offense with Green, Randolph, and Lopez with Kirk providing defense and spacing. Plus a bench featuring Kevin Martin and Larry Sanders is terrific.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I see that there are no questions about Brooklyn. I have clearly convinced all of you beyond any articulable doubt that we are a playoff squad. We appreciate your acquiescence and we will make all of your defeats swift and painless.

How often do Westbrook and Evans play together? They're both ball dominant guards and seem to bring a lot of redundancy to the table. Do they both play with Manu? Does that mean Evans at the 3? He doesn't seem fond of the SF position.

What is the lineup you plan to finish games with?

Evans and Westbrook are both slashers, and there is one ball. This is not, a priori, a bad thing if they are up against a team deploying a stopper at guard because they can elect to attack the weaker matchup.

The primary problem with Westbrook+Evans rotations is that neither is a particularly good shooter, although Evans did make huge gains in that respect last season, boosting his FG% on jumpers from a miserable 24% in 2011-2012 to a respectable 40% in 2012-2013. Nonetheless, we will need to space the floor or else opponents will pack the paint against us.  Fortunately, we have an excellent floor spacer at the 4 in Matt Bonner. We plan to deploy Bonner in situations where Westbrook is at the 1 and Evans at the 2.

Evans will be an excellent pairing with Pablo Prigioni, so no worries there.

To your point about Evans playing some minutes at the 3- last year he actually defended the 3 a bit better than he did the 2, and he showed the ability to penetrate against bigger defenders. The Pelicans signed him this off season on the understanding that he would be willing to play the 3, which he has publicly acknowledged. We think that he'll be delighted to play some 3 on a good team (that's us... we're the good team I'm talking about).

Our crunch time lineup is our starting 5.

« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2013, 08:47:56 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
One last presser add for me team that I would like to point out...

Even though Ihad the second to last pick in the first round, traded out of the 4th round and then again down from 5.2 to the mid fifth round, I was able to build a team with three 2nd round picks (Lopez, Green, Randolph) and two 3rd round picks (Sanders, Rubio), while also having second rounder Rudy Gay on my team for a hot minute as well.

« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2013, 09:32:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Philadelphia

Guards: Stephen Curry, Mo Williams, Cory Joseph, C.J. McCollum, Marquis Teague, Jamaal Franklin
Forwards: Derrick Favors, Harrison Barnes, Jimmy Butler, Earl Clark, Victor Claver
Centers: Demarcus Cousins, Kendrick Perkins
Coach: Mike Krzyzewski

Just in case someone wanted to comment on the Philadelphia team.

« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2013, 09:38:25 AM »

fitzhickey

Philly
If the gm of Philadelphia is answering questions I have one
How will your team function if Steph Curry goes down and/or Demarcus gets benched for being a nutcase?

« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2013, 09:41:24 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Celtics Full Depth Chart, Because I Might Have Never Done This:

Kyrie Irving / Isaiah Thomas / Patrick Beverley
Gordon Hayward / Evan Fournier / Patrick Beverley
Danilo Gallinari / Corey Brewer / Hayward
Pau Gasol / Darrell Arthur / Danilo Gallinari /
Jonas Valanciunas / Pau Gasol / Pero Antic

Deep Bench: Kent Bazemore, Terrence Jones

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2013, 12:47:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
PG: Kyrie Irving, Isaiah Thomas
OG: Gordon Hayward, E.Fournier
SF: Danilo Gallinari, C.Brewer
PF: Pau Gasol, D.Arthur
 C: Jonas Valanciunas, Pero Antic

End of Bench: Patrick Beverley, Kent Bazemore, Terrence Jones

I really like the starting five for Boston. I think it might be the strongest starting unit in the East.

Kyrie Irving is a very good young PG. A terrific scorer. Very explosive. Great shooting range. Tricky handles. Can create his own shot against pretty much any defense. The rest of his game leaves quite a bit to be desired but is gradually improving and I would expect him to take another step forward next as a defender and floor general.

I had Gordon Hayward and Danilo Gallinari as my starting wings on my CB team last summer. I felt then that their combined capacity to create offensive advantages for my team outweighed the lack of a defensive stopper on the wing in my starting lineup and I still feel that way.

I was disappointed in Gordon Hayward last year. I expected him to take a bigger step forward and it didn't happen. I do still really like his game though and I like his talent as a big two guard.

Both players provide excellent outside shooting, additional ball-handling and passing ability. Combined with a top notch scoring PG in Kyrie Irving and a great facilitating big man in Pau Gasol, I think Boston have one of the best offensive combinations in the league between these four players.

I am a big Jonas Valanciunas fan. I expect him to take a big step forward next season. To be a plus defender, a quality rebounder and a well above average offensive C. I think 15ppg and 9-10rpg is well within his grasp. His physical profile in terms of size, (improved) bulk and length combined with the experience he gained last season should help him take big steps forward as a both a man-to-man and team defender.

Pau Gasol is a player who has had some fairly underwhelming seasons in recent years but I think the skill and ability is still there. So long as this injury situation isn't too bad. I think he has looked very good for Spain and would have done much more in the NBA if LAL hadn't reduced his role so much to accommodate Bynum/Dwight (and Kobe).

I think Pau will combine well with Valanciunas who moves pretty well for a legitimate center and has a nice short to midrange (10-15 foot) jump shot in his arsenal. Having two seven footers who have mobility and post games offensively will make them difficult for most teams to matchup against and their size + length defensively will really help out Boston's interior defense.

Overall, I love the size and length of this starting unit. Two seven footers. A 6-10 SF. A 6-7 SG. A good sized 6-2/6-3 PG. A lot of length to go up against. I think that will hold them in good stead. Some quickness issues defensively but they are decent enough for it not to be too large an issue against most teams.

Coaching

Gregg Popovich was a fantastic addition. One of only a few teams who'll receive a good boost from me for their head coach. Both for the talent of the coaching and also for how well he should fit with the qualities/characteristics of the team. Brilliant.

Bench

Darrell Arthur is the only guy I consider to be an above average bench piece. I think he will do well for Boston with his quickness defensively (contrast and complement to the twin towers starting combo) + his mid-range to long two point jump-shooting.

I think Isaiah Thomas and Corey Brewer are solid middle of the pack bench players.

I worry about C.Brewer as a starting SF in Gallo's absence. I don't think he has the physical size to matchup effectively as a defender/rebounder as a starting SF. I think he will do well for Boston when in a reserve role though.

I really like Patrick Beverley as third string PG. I think he provides a nice contrast to Isaiah Thomas (main backup PG). A hard nosed defensive PG who creates extra possessions. Thomas more of a strong pick and roll creator offensively. They have different qualities. Boston can pick and choose based on need and opponent. I think that combo will work well together. Gives Boston an extra lift at backup PG.

Not altogether convinced by Evan Fournier. I think he is a nice prospect but I wonder if next season is too soon for him. A few years down the line, yes. Next year? unsure. So I have a lack of confidence in him as a contributor to a title contender.

I like Pero Antic. I think he has good physical size and toughness. As a third string C (behind Jonas + Pau), and, as an alternative to the speed and quickness of D.Arthur when Boston needs more size and bulk off the bench, I think Antic offers good qualities. Useful end of bench player.

I know nothing of Bazemore. Nothing player for me. Terrence Jones is a strong third string PF/SF.

Overall

One of the best teams in the East.

« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
PG: Kyrie Irving, Isaiah Thomas
OG: Gordon Hayward, E.Fournier
SF: Danilo Gallinari, C.Brewer
PF: Pau Gasol, D.Arthur
 C: Jonas Valanciunas, Pero Antic

End of Bench: Patrick Beverley, Kent Bazemore, Terrence Jones

I really like the starting five for Boston. I think it might be the strongest starting unit in the East.

Kyrie Irving is a very good young PG. A terrific scorer. Very explosive. Great shooting range. Tricky handles. Can create his own shot against pretty much any defense. The rest of his game leaves quite a bit to be desired but is gradually improving and I would expect him to take another step forward next as a defender and floor general.

I had Gordon Hayward and Danilo Gallinari as my starting wings on my CB team last summer. I felt then that their combined capacity to create offensive advantages for my team outweighed the lack of a defensive stopper on the wing in my starting lineup and I still feel that way.

I was disappointed in Gordon Hayward last year. I expected him to take a bigger step forward and it didn't happen. I do still really like his game though and I like his talent as a big two guard.

Both players provide excellent outside shooting, additional ball-handling and passing ability. Combined with a top notch scoring PG in Kyrie Irving and a great facilitating big man in Pau Gasol, I think Boston have one of the best offensive combinations in the league between these four players.

I am a big Jonas Valanciunas fan. I expect him to take a big step forward next season. To be a plus defender, a quality rebounder and a well above average offensive C. I think 15ppg and 9-10rpg is well within his grasp. His physical profile in terms of size, (improved) bulk and length combined with the experience he gained last season should help him take big steps forward as a both a man-to-man and team defender.

Pau Gasol is a player who has had some fairly underwhelming seasons in recent years but I think the skill and ability is still there. So long as this injury situation isn't too bad. I think he has looked very good for Spain and would have done much more in the NBA if LAL hadn't reduced his role so much to accommodate Bynum/Dwight (and Kobe).

I think Pau will combine well with Valanciunas who moves pretty well for a legitimate center and has a nice short to midrange (10-15 foot) jump shot in his arsenal. Having two seven footers who have mobility and post games offensively will make them difficult for most teams to matchup against and their size + length defensively will really help out Boston's interior defense.

Overall, I love the size and length of this starting unit. Two seven footers. A 6-10 SF. A 6-7 SG. A good sized 6-2/6-3 PG. A lot of length to go up against. I think that will hold them in good stead. Some quickness issues defensively but they are decent enough for it not to be too large an issue against most teams.

Coaching

Gregg Popovich was a fantastic addition. One of only a few teams who'll receive a good boost from me for their head coach. Both for the talent of the coaching and also for how well he should fit with the qualities/characteristics of the team. Brilliant.

Bench

Darrell Arthur is the only guy I consider to be an above average bench piece. I think he will do well for Boston with his quickness defensively (contrast and complement to the twin towers starting combo) + his mid-range to long two point jump-shooting.

I think Isaiah Thomas and Corey Brewer are solid middle of the pack bench players.

I worry about C.Brewer as a starting SF in Gallo's absence. I don't think he has the physical size to matchup effectively as a defender/rebounder as a starting SF. I think he will do well for Boston when in a reserve role though.

I really like Patrick Beverley as third string PG. I think he provides a nice contrast to Isaiah Thomas (main backup PG). A hard nosed defensive PG who creates extra possessions. Thomas more of a strong pick and roll creator offensively. They have different qualities. Boston can pick and choose based on need and opponent. I think that combo will work well together. Gives Boston an extra lift at backup PG.

Not altogether convinced by Evan Fournier. I think he is a nice prospect but I wonder if next season is too soon for him. A few years down the line, yes. Next year? unsure. So I have a lack of confidence in him as a contributor to a title contender.

I like Pero Antic. I think he has good physical size and toughness. As a third string C (behind Jonas + Pau), and, as an alternative to the speed and quickness of D.Arthur when Boston needs more size and bulk off the bench, I think Antic offers good qualities. Useful end of bench player.

I know nothing of Bazemore. Nothing player for me. Terrence Jones is a strong third string PF/SF.

Overall

One of the best teams in the East.

This is what Im not sold on. A 21 year old in his sophomore season with no college experience. I dont think he will make as big of a leap as people expect.

Regardless still a top three team in the East.

« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Thank you, thank you, thank you Who. That's a heck of a lot of writing, and I appreciate it.  Very much so.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
This is what Im not sold on. A 21 year old in his sophomore season with no college experience. I dont think he will make as big of a leap as people expect.

He has a heck of a lot of international experience though, and was just recently named his second straight FIBA Europe Young Men's Player of the Year. I know international success doesn't automatically translate to NBA success, but Valanciunas started a good number of Raptors game towards the end of the year and performed very capably. Valanciunas is going to be one of the best centers in the league in a few years IMO.

That being said, I do have question marks about Fournier (and the bench in general) as well as the health concerns of three key starters. However, on paper, the talent is there and Boston is certainly one of the best teams in the East.

« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think a lot of foreign guys, especially big men, take some time to acclimate to the speed and rule changes of the NBA game.

I think Jonas' experience last season with the Raptors (1500 minutes) combined with newly added bulk (to help him battle better in low post on defense + offense) will help him improve considerably next season.

There were good signs of his skill-level with his post game and short jump shot. More than I expected to see in his rookie season. With the Raptors head coach already coming and saying that he is going to change the offense and make Jonas a focal point next season. Add in the increased minutes and responsibilities he will have in Toronto, I think 15ppg and 9-10rpg is within reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AtY4DsW_v4

That said, I wouldn't expect Valanciunas to be as productive for this Boston team though. He is going to be force fed on a .500 Raptors team next season. In Boston, he will be 4th or 5th in the pecking order and receive a lot less scoring opportunities. He will play off of others rather than have several opportunities to create offense for himself. So I am thinking less production. Say double digit points (10-12ppg) and maybe 8rpg. Closer to 30mpg than 33-35mpg. I think defensive contributions will be the same.