Author Topic: Ray Allen Free Agency 'News' (Breaking Speculation: He's staying AND leaving)  (Read 123632 times)

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Send Doc, KG, Pierce, Rondo, Russell, Sam Jones, JoJo, Cousy and Lucky to his house ASAP.

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
It's times like this where you feel really powerless as a fan. If only there was someway to let him know how much we really want him here...

Well the fact that he's torn is somewhat good news, I guess?

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I tell you what I would love to get Camby or Kaman.

Offline rayallen1934

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
By Brian Windhorst

No answer out of Ray Allen

Free agent Ray Allen left his meeting with the Miami Heat on Thursday night without giving them an answer on their contract offer and is torn on whether to leave the Boston Celtics, sources told ESPN.com on Friday.

Allen had an afternoon meeting with Heat president Pat Riley and coach Erik Spoelstra and then went to dinner with them and other members of the team's front office. The Heat offered Allen their mid-level exception, which starts at $3.09 million per season-- or half of the Celtics' offer of $6 million per year over two years.

The most the Heat could offer is three years and $9.5 million.

The sources did not go into specifics, saying Allen is torn because remaining a Celtic is still very much an option.

Heat stars LeBron James and Dwyane Wade have recruited Allen. Riley and Spoelstra were believed to have presented a plan where Allen would have a major role in the offense playing alongside them and Chris Bosh. The Heat are hoping that the offer entices Allen to leave money on the table and end his five-year partnership with Celtics stars Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

The Celtics, sources said, have their own plan for incorporating Allen into a different role that includes playing him alongside Jason Terry, who committed to sign with the Celtics earlier this week. The Boston Herald reported that Boston also has offered to include a no-trade clause in Allen's contract, something the Heat cannot offer.

Meanwhile, according to reports, the Heat will meet with free agents Rashard Lewis and Marcus Camby over the weekend.

Link

That makes it sound like this is all about whether Ray still needs to believe he's a starter in the league.

Mike

Why are you one of the only one that graps this

everyone keeps saying, we want him here, lets show him

but he wants to be starter. Simple as that.

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

That has nothing to do with Ray.  With or with out him, we can't offer either more than the lower level exception (or whatever it's called these days).  

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
Send Doc, KG, Pierce, Rondo, Russell, Sam Jones, JoJo, Cousy and Lucky to his house ASAP.

And renew Shannon Show now!!! She's gorgeous

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
S&t ray to minnesota for pekovic!  ;D

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown

That has nothing to do with Ray.  With or with out him, we can't offer either more than the lower level exception (or whatever it's called these days).  

I know but rebounding is important.

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Wake me when he decides on staying or leaving I can't take it anymore...this can't drag past the weekend can it?

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
By Brian Windhorst

No answer out of Ray Allen

Free agent Ray Allen left his meeting with the Miami Heat on Thursday night without giving them an answer on their contract offer and is torn on whether to leave the Boston Celtics, sources told ESPN.com on Friday.

The most the Heat could offer is three years and $9.5 million.

The sources did not go into specifics, saying Allen is torn because remaining a Celtic is still very much an option.

Heat stars LeBron James and Dwyane Wade have recruited Allen. Riley and Spoelstra were believed to have presented a plan where Allen would have a major role in the offense playing alongside them and Chris Bosh. The Heat are hoping that the offer entices Allen to leave money on the table and end his five-year partnership with Celtics stars Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

Link

That is a pretty good offer. Major role in the offense, starter (presumably).

I can see why Ray would be tempted by that.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Can we make him a front page story for the Boston Globe/Herald newspaper to stay?!?!

It would probably touch him believe it or not as silly as it sounds.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Man, if Ray Allen comes back to Boston...I don't think words will be able to describe my love for the Celtics' 2012-13 team.

Offline Shoot the J

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 33

yeah, when are the C's meeting with Camby?

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
It's times like this where you feel really powerless as a fan. If only there was someway to let him know how much we really want him here...

Well the fact that he's torn is somewhat good news, I guess?

Lol, you only feel powerless at times like this?  Free agency, substitution patterns, play calling is all at the discrepancy of the front office, players and coaches.  We are always powerless, haha.

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
Ray went to Miami looking to see if there was a potential role for him as a starter/heavy minute player with the Heat and to get leverage over the Celtics.

Since he clearly won't start in Miami unless Wade moves to the point (not likely), the pay cut with the Heat simply won't be worth it.

I think it's fairly clear Ray's going to take Boston's offer. The real question is whether it will be to come back as a Celtic or to facilitate a sign and trade to a team where he would start (Memphis/Minnesota). Either way, the Celtics win.