Author Topic: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline  (Read 29229 times)

Re: Latest: Woj thinks Butler could wind up in Boston before deadline
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2017, 11:38:56 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Please let's stop with a trade of Bradley, BKN pick (and much more in some proposals) as a deadline deal. I like (don't love) Butler, but why the heck would we make a deal for him now before at least trying to go after Hayward or Griffin? Each of whom I consider easily as good as Butler.

If we were talking Davis/Durant/Kawhi - you know somebody who could make a real difference this year - then sure, but we actually have max cap space this offseason, let's try to use it before getting f'd by Chicago. A deal for Butler needs to wait until the summer.

TP. Totally agree and to add like some other posters said, he (Butler) does not push the needle in my opinion to championship status and the cost to acquire him via trade is too steep for only a marginal return by going one round deeper in the playoffs. Unless the player acquired puts the Celtics in championship talks, I am hestitant to trade the BKN picks AND some of the core players for a player that is not does not put you over the top.

Does any one have a rational basis for these claims that Butler doesn't "push the needle"?  By every advanced stat (win shares, win shares/48, BPM, RPM) Butler has been a top 10 player, as effective as Cousins and far better than George.  Where does this come from?

He doesn't address our weaknesses. Metrics don't deal with chemistry. At least when we got KG and Ray, it made sense from a fit POV. Butler would not be a significant upgrade. His stats this year are inflated because his team is mediocre and they have no other scorers. Not dissimilar to Okafor's rookie stats.

Patience.

Okafor isn't a good comparison because his advanced stats were terrible.  I agree with you on chemistry, but one of our issues is a second scorer, as well as a wing who is good both defensively and offensively.   A big would be a better fit, but I think Butler is a significant upgrade over smart/Bradley.

« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2017, 12:46:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This was a post I made on RealGM after reading the hilarious Jimmy Butler to Boston rumor thread. They are completely dreaming. Every 3rd post in a 10 page thread is 'Both Brooklyn picks and Jaylen or go away because there is no deal'. My response was:

Then there is no deal. You'll get one Nets pick and some other non Brooklyn firsts. No Jaylen, no 'both' Brooklyn picks.
This isn't what I would give up. This is what Danny Ainge is like.

The Celtics won't mortgage their future and give up all these amazing picks and Jaylen Brown to give themselves a 15% chance of beating Golden State when we can wait around and have good shots at getting free agents while the Nets tank for us.
If Jimmy was Kevin Durant then both picks and Brown would be discussed. But Jimmy is not Durant, he's an upgrade over Bradley but not an upgrade worth 2 Brooklyn picks or a BRK pick and Jaylen Brown.
We are literally in two eras right now. We have a solid team with room for a max free agent and could potentially get to the ECF. We also have three top 5 picks in a row. We don't need to give up that future for an upgrade at SG where we already have a very, very good player in Bradley.

Honestly I think this trade hinges on how desperate/scared Garpax are about losing their jobs and the extra time they will get to keep their jobs if they trade Butler away and rebuild.

I like the Bulls, and it's not the easiest thing to hear, but if this trade happens, you guys are going to be seriously disappointed, because there is literally zero chance of getting all that.

The Bulls fans that are planning the 'fire garpax' rally at the United Center on the TNT game aren't going to help your cause either...
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/244960/How-The-Political-Climate-Impacts-Perception-Of-Knicks-Bulls

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2017, 01:23:29 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
This was a post I made on RealGM after reading the hilarious Jimmy Butler to Boston rumor thread. They are completely dreaming. Every 3rd post in a 10 page thread is 'Both Brooklyn picks and Jaylen or go away because there is no deal'. My response was:

Then there is no deal. You'll get one Nets pick and some other non Brooklyn firsts. No Jaylen, no 'both' Brooklyn picks.

The Celtics won't mortgage their future and give up all these amazing picks and Jaylen Brown to give themselves a 15% chance of beating Golden State when we can wait around and have good shots at getting free agents while the Nets tank for us.
If Jimmy was Kevin Durant then both picks and Brown would be discussed. But Jimmy is not Durant, he's an upgrade over Bradley but not an upgrade worth 2 Brooklyn picks or a BRK pick and Jaylen Brown.
We are literally in two eras right now. We have a solid team with room for a max free agent and could potentially get to the ECF. We also have three top 5 picks in a row. We don't need to give up that future for an upgrade at SG where we already have a very, very good player in Bradley.

Honestly I think this trade hinges on how desperate/scared Garpax are about losing their jobs and the extra time they will get to keep their jobs if they trade Butler away and rebuild.

I like the Bulls, and it's not the easiest thing to hear, but if this trade happens, you guys are going to be seriously disappointed, because there is literally zero chance of getting all that.

The Bulls fans that are planning the 'fire garpax' rally at the United Center on the TNT game aren't going to help your cause either...
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/244960/How-The-Political-Climate-Impacts-Perception-Of-Knicks-Bulls

Great post, and I completely agree. Any chance we could get Butler for the 2018 Brooklyn pick, AB and filler? In a way, hasn't the Cousins trade lowered the bar for us in terms of what we need to give?

« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2017, 01:26:37 AM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69

Great post, and I completely agree. Any chance we could get Butler for the 2018 Brooklyn pick, AB and filler? In a way, hasn't the Cousins trade lowered the bar for us in terms of what we need to give?

I think its raised the price. No other superstar available before the deadline. All eyes turn to Butler.

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2017, 01:30:59 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
One thing is certain- Woj is legit. Woj reporting that Cousins was being shopped, and that a transaction has been made just an hour ago.

Still unbelievable. There's a possibility that either Butler or George will become a Celtic this week.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2017, 01:38:04 AM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
Butler isn't worth giving up BKN picks or Brown. If that's the cost then you look elsewhere.

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2017, 01:42:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
One thing is certain- Woj is legit. Woj reporting that Cousins was being shopped, and that a transaction has been made just an hour ago.

Still unbelievable. There's a possibility that either Butler or George will become a Celtic this week.

Is Woj saying George is a possibility? I get the Butler rumor, but I wouldn't overpay for him. I'm intrigued by PG though.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2017, 01:43:14 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

Is Woj saying George is a possibility? I get the Butler rumor, but I wouldn't overpay for him. I'm intrigued by PG though.

Oh no that was just out of context on my part about George, that is. It's just Butler. But ofc, we've seen other rumors about George.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2017, 01:48:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Oh no that was just out of context on my part about George, that is. It's just Butler. But ofc, we've seen other rumors about George.

I'd much rather go after PG13. Let's hope Woj can link us to him sometime in the next 85 hours.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2017, 02:00:46 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133

Neither of them will become Celtics. Ainge will puss out.

Rather hang onto Superstar Crowder or Future MVP Rozier.

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2017, 02:04:09 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford

I think its raised the price. No other superstar available before the deadline. All eyes turn to Butler.

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of us being able to say that Cousins is at least as good of a player as Butler (and arguably better), and the Kings didn't get a ton in return for him. But like you said, especially if Paul George isn't available, then we do lose some leverage in terms of having other trade options. On the other hand, we do have the perfectly reasonable option of just not making any moves, and I think/hope Ainge would be fine with that if Chicago's asking price is too high.

« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2017, 02:06:46 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford

I haven't seen many here say that their breaking point is if Crowder or Rozier is included. Seems like people are much more reluctant to give up the Nets '17 pick, Nets '18 pick and Jalen Brown.

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2017, 02:10:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of us being able to say that Cousins is at least as good of a player as Butler (and arguably better), and the Kings didn't get a ton in return for him. But like you said, especially if Paul George isn't available, then we do lose some leverage in terms of having other trade options. On the other hand, we do have the perfectly reasonable option of just not making any moves, and I think/hope Ainge would be fine with that if Chicago's asking price is too high.
I don't see any team being a butler away from being an instant contender and having at least ok assets aside from Boston. The price is going to fall real low after this. Should be a good silver lining from this trade. I'd be ecstatic with Amir+Young+Rozier+Memphis 1st+ 18 Bos 1st+numerous 2nds for butler. We would need to get a replacement big though. My ideal replacement would be Willy Hernangomez from the knicks, which should probably cost a package like Mickey+Yabu+LAC pick+ a couple of 2nds
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2017, 02:19:49 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133

I haven't seen many here say that their breaking point is if Crowder or Rozier is included. Seems like people are much more reluctant to give up the Nets '17 pick, Nets '18 pick and Jalen Brown.
And I am too. While I don't wanna mortgage the future for a chance to lose in the finals the next 3 years I'm just getting sick of Ainge sitting around promising fireworks while other teams actually do things.