Author Topic: G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college OAD route  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm not sure the top guys will do this.  Is Deandre Ayton the 1st pick in the draft if he was in the GLeague instead of at Arizona last year?  I'm not so sure.  Playing against grown men is a lot different then playing against inferior players that are your physical equal.  Even the GLeague is filled with vastly stronger and more physically developed players than a guy like Ayton.  Sure, Ayton is more talented, but you can't just disregard the strength discrepancy either.  Physical strength matters a lot and a skinny 18 year old kid just can't match up to a 25 to 30 year old professional.  On top of that, the GLeague is a much longer season.  That longer season will add a lot of physical strain on a younger still developing body greatly increasing the risk of injury.  In addition, the GLeague has much crappier travel conditions.  I mean a lot of the GLeague teams still ride the bus to games and stay in less then stellar hotels.  A big university travels and stays in style. 

That said, the money is nice.  125k from the GLeague is a good amount, but they can also sign endorsement deals, get paid by agents, etc. so they can make a lot of money in that year, which might outweigh some of the negatives and risk. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Interesting.  Regardless of how this works out, I do appreciate that the NBA is finally recognizing that the corrupt NCAA model no longer works and is unfair to the elite talent.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
https://sports.yahoo.com/zion-williamson-new-cam-newton-dukes-new-star-face-eligibility-issues-season-210307389.html

What a shame it would be if Zion is ruled ineligible.  This alternative to the NCAA is a great idea.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
where do i sign ?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://sports.yahoo.com/zion-williamson-new-cam-newton-dukes-new-star-face-eligibility-issues-season-210307389.html

What a shame it would be if Zion is ruled ineligible.  This alternative to the NCAA is a great idea.

Now Bill Self is implicated in paying recruits.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25018425/attorney-adidas-executive-says-20k-payment-only-made-request-kansas-jayhawks-coach-bill-self

This can't come soon enough.
Have two friends in college athletics. They both have been at major college programs. Texas, Maryland, Kansas St and Michigan St are some of the places they have been. All the head coaches and booster programs and recruiting departments are dirty. EVERYWHERE!

We are just seeing the top of the iceberg

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Now Bill Self is implicated in paying recruits.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25018425/attorney-adidas-executive-says-20k-payment-only-made-request-kansas-jayhawks-coach-bill-self

This can't come soon enough.
Have two friends in college athletics. They both have been at major college programs. Texas, Maryland, Kansas St and Michigan St are some of the places they have been. All the head coaches and booster programs and recruiting departments are dirty. EVERYWHERE!

We are just seeing the top of the iceberg

I went to a division 1A school not known for its football and I know one of the players was receiving money.  I can't imagine how corrupt the majors sports programs are.  I love the idea of an alternative option where the players can be paid above board.

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think football should do the same.  I'm sick and tired of people going to college just so they can go to the pros.  I think college should be to get an education. 

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Darius Bazley, who's skipping NCAA ball this year, got an incentive-heavy contract with New Balance recently that also includes $1 million fully guaranteed, so he's basically free to train full-time this year in prep for the draft. It's the sneaker companies that can really make a gap year viable for athletes with payments like this.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think football should do the same.  I'm sick and tired of people going to college just so they can go to the pros.  I think college should be to get an education.

yeah those scholarships should go to kids who deserve to be at college but need money . 

If the athletes would stay , get their degrees , then i have no issue with scholarship.  But to go knowing 100 % you aren't going to stay but 1-2 years is cheating another kid who wants his education more than anything , but can't afgord it. 

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Much of the money given out in academic scholarships at Div I schools are paid for by their football and basketball programs. NCAA athletics are huge money making businesses on the men's side of things. Those schools are going to do everything they can to continue to be the unofficial minor leagues for the NFL and NBA.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Much of the money given out in academic scholarships at Div I schools are paid for by their football and basketball programs. NCAA athletics are huge money making businesses on the men's side of things. Those schools are going to do everything they can to continue to be the unofficial minor leagues for the NFL and NBA.

Yeah. The spots given to blue-chip prospects create money for universities. If they wanted to spend that money on hardship scholarships / increased financial aid they could easily do so.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes