Author Topic: Lebron once gained 7 pounds during an ECF game  (Read 9763 times)

Re: Lebron once gained 7 pounds during an ECF game
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 11:13:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Since when has using PED’s resulted in fewer injuries?  Usually the opposite is considered true if it’s something that increases atheticism, strength, or size.  They would cause more injuries in these cases.  I could see something like low dose HGH helping him recover a little better which could keep him healthier, but you can’t equate Lebron’s being an athletic freak with that.  The guy was a freak in high school and he’s a freak now.  He’s got an amazing body frame and athleticism.  He has great shoulders but I don’t see the packed on muscle that is always talked about.  He has a great body though.

The seven lb weight gain during a game sounds like BS.

There is a HUGE difference between other PED's and HGH as well as there being a HUGE difference between HGH and any other steroid!!

Smitty77

Yeah, from what I understand HGH does, in fact, help with injuries (both prevention and recovery).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You have no idea if he does or not. There is literally no evidence against him. Not getting injured and hairline jokes don't count as evidence. If you accuse Lebron of using them, you could accuse anyone.

And you sir, have no evidence he does not.
That's mostly because you can't really prove a negative. You also don't have evidence that the core of the earth isn't made of molten cheese.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 11:59:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 12:35:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
when you have innuendo and no actual proof, you get things like this.

https://wiesnerx0042.blogspot.com/2013/08/michael-jordan-steroid-discussion.html

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547828

Was waiting for this. The biggest and most obvious difference is that steroids were not available in a safe a way during Jordan's hey day. Such a notorious partier, Jordan would have had very serious liver and kidney problems boozing on these anabolic steroids and certainly would have risked really serious health issues. Something like hgh is actually good for you and some doctors think everyone should be on it. It doesn't have the same impact on the body and its organs that the steroids of the late 80s did. This is why it makes a lot more sense for the players of the 80's and early 90s to avoid this stuff (also way easier to catch) and why Lebron and just about player in the NBA now would be smart to consider hgh for their career.

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 01:13:59 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

https://wiesnerx0042.blogspot.com/2013/08/michael-jordan-steroid-discussion.html

Was waiting for this

The "whataboutism" deflection rather than addressing the topic at hand?

My two cents is that Lebron is just one of those freaks of nature.  HGH use wouldn't surprise me but I can also just buy into the fact that Lebron is a genetic freak who has always taken good care of his body and has been very lucky not to suffer any major injuries throughout his career.

He may or may not be but nothing has screamed to me that he has definitively been "juicing".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Was waiting for this. The biggest and most obvious difference is that steroids were not available in a safe a way during Jordan's hey day. Such a notorious partier, Jordan would have had very serious liver and kidney problems boozing on these anabolic steroids and certainly would have risked really serious health issues. Something like hgh is actually good for you and some doctors think everyone should be on it. It doesn't have the same impact on the body and its organs that the steroids of the late 80s did. This is why it makes a lot more sense for the players of the 80's and early 90s to avoid this stuff (also way easier to catch) and why Lebron and just about player in the NBA now would be smart to consider hgh for their career.
I personally think, players (and everyone) should be allowed to use HGH as it has been shown to have significant positive attributes.

that said, come on, steroids were rampant in the 80's and 90's in football and baseball, yet you don't think they were being used in the NBA.  That is just silly nonsense.  Of course they were being used.  I brought up the point about Jordan because quite simply, the same arguments being used to show James is a user, are the same things you could easily say about Jordan (as outlined in those articles).  Jordan was just in the pre-internet age so it was a vastly different time. 

Frankly, I couldn't care less if any of the basketball players use HGH or steroids.  It doesn't affect me at all.  I'd honestly rather just have the use be regulated and administered by doctors so at least when they are used, they are used in a much safer manner. 

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Was waiting for this

The "whataboutism" deflection rather than addressing the topic at hand?

My two cents is that Lebron is just one of those freaks of nature.  HGH use wouldn't surprise me but I can also just buy into the fact that Lebron is a genetic freak who has always taken good care of his body and has been very lucky not to suffer any major injuries throughout his career.

He may or may not be but nothing has screamed to me that he has definitively been "juicing".
the topic at hand is James gaining 7 pounds during a game, which obviously has nothing to do with juicing since juicing wouldn't cause that.

and of course, innuendo without evidence is exactly on point with the secondary topic of juicing. 

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 01:59:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I personally think, players (and everyone) should be allowed to use HGH as it has been shown to have significant positive attributes.

that said, come on, steroids were rampant in the 80's and 90's in football and baseball, yet you don't think they were being used in the NBA.  That is just silly nonsense.  Of course they were being used.  I brought up the point about Jordan because quite simply, the same arguments being used to show James is a user, are the same things you could easily say about Jordan (as outlined in those articles).  Jordan was just in the pre-internet age so it was a vastly different time. 

Frankly, I couldn't care less if any of the basketball players use HGH or steroids.  It doesn't affect me at all.  I'd honestly rather just have the use be regulated and administered by doctors so at least when they are used, they are used in a much safer manner.

I wouldn't have any problem with all the NBA players being on HGH now cause it is not horrible for their health like the steroids of the 80's were. While they were rampant in football, and to a extent baseball, there really was a profile to it. The heaviest users were the defensive and offensive lineman that were using them to bulk.

Jordan's lifestyle of partying, drinking and gambling heavily literally would have killed him he was on a hardcore anabolic steroid (he would have a cardiac event). This is the same reason I would be very very surprised if Bird was ever on Steroids. Now if you have a guy like Lebron that is doing cutting edge nutrition, healing, lifting and training, it certainly makes a lot more sense to experience with supplements than people that viewed the stuff like Jordan and Bird did.

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I have seen that opinion many times on this and other boards. Sounds harmless AND equitable on its face.

Hell, the argument goes, "a grown man should be able to put whatever he wants into his own body, and if everyone has access to it, and it's legal and one can choose to do it or not, what's the harm?" Plus, people have argued, "I like being entertained, and if a grown man chooses to use steroids (that carry substantial risk) and HGH (a naturally occurring substance with remarkable properties with few risks, but is very strictly regulated and scarce) and can jump higher and be stronger for it and therefore entertain me more, What's the harm?"

We are not in a vacuum, and hence the potential for harm is substantial. A terrible slippery slope off of which many college AND high school athletes will fall.

Assume everyone shares your opinion and that no one cares whether steroids or HGH (or any other PEDs maybe?? but I'm not including the MANY other PEDs right now) is used by pro basketball players.

The trickle down effect due to the competitive pressures brought to college players (to have a shot at the pros) and to high school students to get a Division I or even II scholarship would be staggering.

During the late 80s and 90s and early 2000s, I was a guidance counselor at a large urban HS in the Greater Boston area. The pressure on a lot of my athletes was huge then to bulk up and get faster and stronger, especially the football players. To some, that shot at a free education and maybe even making the pros (I had a few who did in baseball and football, none in basketball) was too enticing to pass up, and obviously, they didn't get those steroids legally. 16 and 17 year-olds introducing 'roids into their body is a nightmare. Acne, aggression, and the occasional 'roid rage in an adolescent is not a good thing.

And, make no mistake, in this messed up proposed world where steroids and HGH and whatever other PEDS one might proffer (because you know many other currently banned substances would be included) are available and used by all the pros, just like their sneakers, a huge amount of kids will use it, far more than now because it has the pro imprimatur.

Oh, and given the scarcity and expense of HGH, no high school kids will be able to access it, so their PED of choice will definitely be something different.

Not what I hope happens.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:57:56 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Since when has using PED’s resulted in fewer injuries?  Usually the opposite is considered true if it’s something that increases atheticism, strength, or size.  They would cause more injuries in these cases.  I could see something like low dose HGH helping him recover a little better which could keep him healthier, but you can’t equate Lebron’s being an athletic freak with that.  The guy was a freak in high school and he’s a freak now.  He’s got an amazing body frame and athleticism.  He has great shoulders but I don’t see the packed on muscle that is always talked about.  He has a great body though.

The seven lb weight gain during a game sounds like BS.

There is a HUGE difference between other PED's and HGH as well as there being a HUGE difference between HGH and any other steroid!!

Smitty77

Yeah, from what I understand HGH does, in fact, help with injuries (both prevention and recovery).

Absolutely correct Roy!!  Steroids, not HGH, make the muscles grow so quickly and increase strength so quickly that athletes are more at risk of tearing muscles and ligaments.  HGH is a different animal altogether.

Smitty77

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
This all sounds silly.

Physics being what they are (conservation of energy and whatnot) you can rest assure he did not gain 7 lbs of "mass" in 1 game; it takes about 3500 calories in excess of what you burn (basal metabolism + active metabolism) to put on 1 lb of mass, so he would have had to consume, digest, and store 24,500 calories above what he burned that game in order to "gain" 7 lbs.

Alternatively, fluid weight is possible (though still unlikely given that I doubt he was going into a game dehydrated). But 7 lbs. is about 3.2 kg, which equates to 3.2 Liters of fluid. So, from the first weight to the second weighing, if he drank 3.2 liters more than he sweated and urinated out, he'd be 7 lbs heavier.

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This all sounds silly.

Physics being what they are (conservation of energy and whatnot) you can rest assure he did not gain 7 lbs of "mass" in 1 game; it takes about 3500 calories in excess of what you burn (basal metabolism + active metabolism) to put on 1 lb of mass, so he would have had to consume, digest, and store 24,500 calories above what he burned that game in order to "gain" 7 lbs.

Alternatively, fluid weight is possible (though still unlikely given that I doubt he was going into a game dehydrated). But 7 lbs. is about 3.2 kg, which equates to 3.2 Liters of fluid. So, from the first weight to the second weighing, if he drank 3.2 liters more than he sweated and urinated out, he'd be 7 lbs heavier.

It's probably nothing more than a screwed up scale.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This all sounds silly.

It's probably nothing more than a screwed up scale.
He didn’t stand on the center of the scale before the game.

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 11:52:00 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
that I have no evidence that Lebron does not, NOT take PEDs. Very confusing statement.

Again, that article is a joke. All it says is that someone named Mr. Paul picked up products marked for "LJ". Not that Rich Paul actually picked them up, that someone named Mr. Paul. Grasping at straws trying to connect James to PEDs.

I am from the USA but does that matter.   One thing we also have here is freedom of speech and the right to express our opinion.

You seem incapable of doing much more than saying this or that is a joke.  He certainly gained a lot of muscle mass quick in the pros. 

The guy was a freak in high school and he’s a freak now.
Here are some high school pics.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2692760-he-was-a-man-amongst-boys-catching-up-with-lebron-james-high-school-qbs

https://www.si.com/nba/photos/2011/09/07lebron-james-in-high-school#4

Modern training is great, and some people respond well to it.   Some people gain mass better than others, others struggle to gain mass.

I am saying there is a possibility that he might have used PEDs.  I believe it is possible.
If you stop saying such ridiculous things I won't have to. You have no evidence and all of this is just speculation. Like others said, you have to prove someone broke the law, you obviously don't have to prove that they didn't. Since you weren't able to grasp that concept is the reason why I asked if you weren't from the US.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 01:11:34 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I once gained 7 lbs at the Golden Corral.

Nobody seemed to care about that.