Author Topic: 2016-2017 Free Agency: Make Your Predictions!  (Read 8997 times)

2016-2017 Free Agency: Make Your Predictions!
« on: June 24, 2016, 10:20:21 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
I'll start.

1. Pick up the options of Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko
2. Let go of Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller
3. Re-Sign Evan Turner for 4 years/40M (Team Option 4th Year)
4. Sign Jared Dudley for 3 Years/20M
      - Bench scorer; 3 pt. sharpshooter; Versatile, can play SG, SF, PF if needed)
5. Sign Joakim Noah on an Amir-like deal for 2 Years/25M (non guaranteed second year)

PG: Isaiah/Smart/Rozier
SG: Bradley/Turner/Hunter
SF: Crowder/Dudley/Brown
PF: Amir/Olynyk/Jerebko/Bentil
C: Noah/Mickey

Cap Space: We still would have an extra 20M in cap space after making these signings, and with some $$$ going out in 2017 after Amir and Jerebko are free agents next season and the cap rising after next season by another 15-20M, we still have tons of cap flexibility for future years.

I'm hoping Turner takes a bit of a hometown discount to stay with us. He supposedly does not like Rose and with Rose now in NYK it's less likely he goes there. We'll see though.

So yeah I'm not expecting fireworks this offseason or any max-signings.

What do you guys think will happen in FA? I'd love to hear your predictions  :D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: 2016-2017 Free Agency: Make Your Predictions!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I predict fireworks.

Would Danny Ainge being fired qualify as fireworks?

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
1. Agreed, they'll keep Amir and Jerebko.  Too cost efficient not to.  Also, useful trade filler.  You know Danny loves hypothetical trade filler.

2. Sullinger, I hope to God, signs elsewhere.  Zeller will find another team that can give him minutes.

3. Turner should be gone.  Give his minutes to Smart, Brown, Rozier.  Sink or swim.

I mostly agree with your signings.  I think Dudley will take more money than that, though, probably 10-12 million annually.

Noah and/or Ryan Anderson seem like the most likely targets to me, after that.

A trade will be necessary to clear away some of the end of roster guys, unless the team just outright cuts one or more of Young / Hunter / Jackson / Bentil.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I predict fireworks.

Would Danny Ainge being fired qualify as fireworks?

No I think you have to include Wyc to really make it fireworks  :laugh:

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:27:57 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
1. Agreed, they'll keep Amir and Jerebko.  Too cost efficient not to.  Also, useful trade filler.  You know Danny loves hypothetical trade filler.

2. Sullinger, I hope to God, signs elsewhere.  Zeller will find another team that can give him minutes.

3. Turner should be gone.  Give his minutes to Smart, Brown, Rozier.  Sink or swim.

I mostly agree with your signings.  I think Dudley will take more money than that, though, probably 10-12 million annually.

A trade will be necessary to clear away some of the end of roster guys, unless the team just outright cuts one or more of Young / Hunter / Jackson / Bentil.

I see Turner as one of the only ones who can successfully create his own shot... Something that Livingston showed us in the NBA Finals could be vital in games.

Also most experts and sites believe Dudley will get in the 6-8M/Year range that's what I based my offer off of lol. Dudley has also openly said he would love to come back to Boston. He thinks he would be a perfect fit here and I agree.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 10:29:21 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
We didn't make any significant roster additions, so you can pretty much take most of the tier 1 and tier 2 free agents off of the board.

I'm still hoping for a Noel trade that doesn't cost too much in assets, because they surely have to trade one of their three centers before the season starts, right?

Other than that, probably some more minor Amir-like signings to keep the ever-important concept of "flexibility" open, even though we never take advantage of it, which is to say that this summer will most likely just be one more big...

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Yeah Dudley would be great here? Seriously. Does that help us at all?

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah Dudley would be great here? Seriously. Does that help us at all?

Gives us scoring off the bench, and he can shoot well. (42% 3 pt. percentage; 47% overall FG)

No it's not a game changer but we definitely could have used him in the Hawks series.

We need scoring, Dudley is a versatile scorer.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I see Turner as one of the only ones who can successfully create his own shot... Something that Livingston showed us in the NBA Finals could be vital in games.

Also most experts and sites believe Dudley will get in the 6-8M/Year range that's what I based my offer off of lol. Dudley has also openly said he would love to come back to Boston. He thinks he would be a perfect fit here and I agree.

A good rule of thumb for this summer -- take what you think a guy ought to make and add an extra 7-8 million annually.  This is especially true for guys like Dudley, who will want 3 or 4 years guaranteed, though teams will strongly prefer to give him one or two.

Turner is the Celts second best creator, it's true.  They are probably a worse team out of the gate with Turner gone and Smart / Rozier / Brown / Dudley picking up that slack.

Still, if you carry a bunch of young guys on your team, at some point you've got to give them the chance to earn a bigger role.

Brown should get most of Turner's minutes, and Smart will never become much more valuable than he is now if he's spending most of his time off the ball watching Turner or Isaiah make things happen.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 10:33:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
We didn't make any significant roster additions, so you can pretty much take most of the tier 1 and tier 2 free agents off of the board.

I'm still hoping for a Noel trade that doesn't cost too much in assets, because they surely have to trade one of their three centers before the season starts, right?

Other than that, probably some more minor Amir-like signings to keep the ever-important concept of "flexibility" open, even though we never take advantage of it, which is to say that this summer will most likely just be one more big...

Our big three, "Flexibility," "Assets," and "Max cap space."
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 10:34:29 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
But does Dudley do anything else? Does he play defense? He could be a good cheerleader on the bench and play some important minutes occasionally like Jefferson on Cleveland but frankly I don't think it helps us win 1 more game than without him.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Honestly, unless we get a Noel trade or something like that, we should just go small with this roster with IT, Bradley, Brown, Crowder, and Amir. I cringe thinking about giving starter minutes to soft ole Kelly, and if we're going to invest in Brown, I want him to actually be utilized and get enough playing time to develop. I don't want another Smart situation where we're giving Turner and Rozier ball-handling duties and trying to make him into something that he's not - a spot-up shooter.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 10:37:34 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Kevin Durant.

Name me all the other FAs that can turn their nose up at us now.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 10:43:44 AM »

Offline HuskerCeltic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'll start.

1. Pick up the options of Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko
2. Let go of Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller
3. Re-Sign Evan Turner for 4 years/40M (Team Option 4th Year)
4. Sign Jared Dudley for 3 Years/20M
      - Bench scorer; 3 pt. sharpshooter; Versatile, can play SG, SF, PF if needed)
5. Sign Joakim Noah on an Amir-like deal for 2 Years/25M (non guaranteed second year)

PG: Isaiah/Smart/Rozier
SG: Bradley/Turner/Hunter
SF: Crowder/Dudley/Brown
PF: Amir/Olynyk/Jerebko/Bentil
C: Noah/Mickey

Cap Space: We still would have an extra 20M in cap space after making these signings, and with some $$$ going out in 2017 after Amir and Jerebko are free agents next season and the cap rising after next season by another 15-20M, we still have tons of cap flexibility for future years.

I'm hoping Turner takes a bit of a hometown discount to stay with us. He supposedly does not like Rose and with Rose now in NYK it's less likely he goes there. We'll see though.

So yeah I'm not expecting fireworks this offseason or any max-signings.

What do you guys think will happen in FA? I'd love to hear your predictions  :D

Is Yabusele a stash international?

Are you saying cut Young, Jackson, Nader?

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 10:45:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Yabu is reportedly a stash, and Nader is a D-League stash who probably will never play in the NBA.
- Mark Twain