Author Topic: Switch out one player to make the Celtics better  (Read 4770 times)

Re: Switch out one player to make the Celtics better
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 02:42:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Ingles for Morris

Great 3 and D guy who gets under people's skin, is an excellent passer who moves well without the ball and has great shot selection.

Is he really a great "D guy"?  You think better D guy than Morris (keeping in mind that overall "D" includes rebounding)?  I think this is going the wrong way.  We need more defensive size, not less.  We have plenty of wings.  Now granted, Morris is more of a swing than a big but that is still more size and strength than Ingles is going to give you.

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Yeah, I meant players of equal value but not necessarily same position.  So no one on this team is going to return Davis or Durant.  But if you want to trade kyrie for a center of equal value, then sure.

The Morris green trade is exactly the kind of thing I’m thinking about, and I think a good idea.

As for brown, he’s just too erratic IMO.  And yes he’s a good defender but we can trade him for another good defender or a sharpshooter.  I think those kind of players would fit the team better and like I said, I have little concern that we’d be trading away a future star.

Looks like we disagree on Brown's value.

There's not a lot of players that can replace Brown's defensive ability and versatility, shooting, open court ability, and driving (as well as the potential playmaking we've seen in the preseason).

He's already surpassed Carroll, Prince, Richardson, Barnes, Warren, Barton, Hood, KCP, Crabbe, Bazemore, and Lee as a wing player.

His current value is roughly Tobias Harris, Porter Jr., Covington, or Gary Harris. I like Brown's versatility on defense better than those guys.

I do think he has a higher upside than anyone I listed also.

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 02:52:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Ingles for Morris

Great 3 and D guy who gets under people's skin, is an excellent passer who moves well without the ball and has great shot selection.

Is he really a great "D guy"?  You think better D guy than Morris (keeping in mind that overall "D" includes rebounding)?  I think this is going the wrong way.  We need more defensive size, not less.  We have plenty of wings.  Now granted, Morris is more of a swing than a big but that is still more size and strength than Ingles is going to give you.

Ingles is a better defender than Morris and he's about the size. So for roughly 1 less RPG that Morris gives you, you get a better shooter, passer, higher IQ guy, ballhandler, etc.

Ingles is a really underrated player. This is him vs Paul George:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Znv8lz4iOEU

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I'd swap whoever winds up on the very end of our bench for Anthony Davis. The end.

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd swap whoever winds up on the very end of our bench for Anthony Davis. The end.

May as well go with Jabari.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
There's not a lot of players that can replace Brown's defensive ability and versatility, shooting, open court ability, and driving (as well as the potential playmaking we've seen in the preseason).

And....he is still just 21 years old!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I would swap out Gordon Hayward...don't need him. Definetly not Brown.

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 04:09:25 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
Yeah, I meant players of equal value but not necessarily same position.  So no one on this team is going to return Davis or Durant.  But if you want to trade kyrie for a center of equal value, then sure.

The Morris green trade is exactly the kind of thing I’m thinking about, and I think a good idea.

As for brown, he’s just too erratic IMO.  And yes he’s a good defender but we can trade him for another good defender or a sharpshooter.  I think those kind of players would fit the team better and like I said, I have little concern that we’d be trading away a future star.

I feel you are way off the mark with Brown.
He has as much potential to be a future star as Tatum.

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
.. for who?? We can’t just go around tossing our second best player away

I’d swap Morris for a Taurean Prince type, if we’re strictly talking about comparable ability right now.
If we’re talking long-term, Morris for Ingles would be perfect. Or Morris for Jonathon Simmons
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm not switching Jaylen Brown.

Had a very good sophomore season, and still tons of potential to be even better. I'd keep him for as long as I can.

With that said, I really don't know who I would want to switch out from this lineup. All I know is I gotta keep Jaylen.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Ingles for Morris

Good thinking. Also, he can guard up.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Ingles for Morris

Excellent idea. This is the only realistic suggestion I like so far in this thread. Ingles would be an outstanding complement to our lineup.

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 06:23:46 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

I’d swap Morris for a Taurean Prince type, if we’re strictly talking about comparable ability right now.
If we’re talking long-term, Morris for Ingles would be perfect. Or Morris for Jonathon Simmons

He obviously hasnt been our second best player and will not be going forward...not seeing it

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 06:26:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He obviously hasnt been our second best player and will not be going forward...not seeing it
I don't know what your standards are for people who haven't been able to play for almost 365 days are, but if you're expecting them to instantly return to their previous playing levels you've got another thing coming
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 06:29:32 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

I don't know what your standards are for people who haven't been able to play for almost 365 days are, but if you're expecting them to instantly return to their previous playing levels you've got another thing coming

That's fine...but you are saying hes our second best player based off his Utah career. Hes done nothing here to this point and I'm taking into consideration his injury which is why I don't see him being our second best player..not gonna happen