Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366961 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #2100 on: December 07, 2019, 08:50:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
they lost Reddick/Butler...those two guys averaged 18ppg each last year.....everyone was gushing about the addition of horford but neglected to mention they lost 36ppg in scoring.

Horford gives you alot in terms of rebounding/defending/assists....but the guy only averaged 13ppg. players like butler dont grow on trees. I feel like you always take the all-star scorer over need (bigs to backup embiid)

yeah the GM needs to be fired .  Embiid expected to,carry the load , and we know he is a accident waiting to happen every game.  Keeping Harris , was a mistake , over rated ,  they should have kept at least one of Butler or Reddick to help with scoring.  Oh , alot of arm chair GMs saw this coming , yo d thunk a million dollar GM would have ?

« Reply #2101 on: December 08, 2019, 10:00:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
they lost Reddick/Butler...those two guys averaged 18ppg each last year.....everyone was gushing about the addition of horford but neglected to mention they lost 36ppg in scoring.

Horford gives you alot in terms of rebounding/defending/assists....but the guy only averaged 13ppg. players like butler dont grow on trees. I feel like you always take the all-star scorer over need (bigs to backup embiid)

yeah the GM needs to be fired .  Embiid expected to,carry the load , and we know he is a accident waiting to happen every game.  Keeping Harris , was a mistake , over rated ,  they should have kept at least one of Butler or Reddick to help with scoring.  Oh , alot of arm chair GMs saw this coming , yo d thunk a million dollar GM would have ?
Scoring isn't really a problem for them.  I mean they scored 141 yesterday without Embiid or Richardson.  I know it was Cleveland, but the reality is they score a bunch against a lot of teams (even when they lose).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2102 on: December 08, 2019, 10:11:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Scoring isn't really a problem for them.  I mean they scored 141 yesterday without Embiid or Richardson.  I know it was Cleveland, but the reality is they score a bunch against a lot of teams (even when they lose).
^this. Their problem is resilient scoring that still holds against stingy defences, but their defence will probably keep them in playoff games. They're still very much a contender, let's not act like they're some Cinderella team.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2103 on: December 08, 2019, 11:42:43 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

^this. Their problem is resilient scoring that still holds against stingy defences, but their defence will probably keep them in playoff games. They're still very much a contender, let's not act like they're some Cinderella team.
The Sixers are certainly a contender.  The Sixers are at the top of the league in defense and rebounding.  They're offense isn't great but it is pretty good.  They appear to have addressed their biggest issue which was their huge dropoff when Embiid isn't on court.   

People don't take into account the time it takes players to gel together.  Horford and Richardson are new and Harris only came over at the trade deadline.  Butler gets talked about a lot but losing Redick was a bigger loss for them.  Redick was a great fit and really worked well with Embiid in their half court offense. 

« Reply #2104 on: December 08, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Man, I just don't see JJ Redick as that big of a loss. His offense was really good but his defense was terrible. Look at New Orleans - how much of a difference is he making there?

I'd much rather have Josh Richardson. A strong defensive player and good offensive player. A two way player.

The way people talk about JJ Redick is of the player he was 5 years ago (when he was still an adequate albeit below average defender). Not the player he is today (lousy defender). Redick was Philly's worst defender. He got torched by anyone they tried to hide him on.

Their perimeter play has improved (thanks to Josh Richardson) without him (Redick).

« Reply #2105 on: December 08, 2019, 01:51:06 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Man, I just don't see JJ Redick as that big of a loss. His offense was really good but his defense was terrible. Look at New Orleans - how much of a difference is he making there?

I'd much rather have Josh Richardson. A strong defensive player and good offensive player. A two way player.

The way people talk about JJ Redick is of the player he was 5 years ago (when he was still an adequate albeit below average defender). Not the player he is today (lousy defender). Redick was Philly's worst defender. He got torched by anyone they tried to hide him on.

Their perimeter play has improved (thanks to Josh Richardson) without him (Redick).
I agree that the Sixers are better off with Richardson than Redick.  Redick did get torched by us 2 playoffs ago but the Raptors didn't torch him last playoffs.  Redick is doing fine in NOP (15pts in 28min, 46% on 7 3PA) but I don't understand why they overpaid to get him.  He's a good role player for a contender.  He's not going to move the needle for a young team. 

My statement was in regards to Butler and Redick.  I just don't think Butler is much of a loss for the Sixers.  Butler was a poor fit with Harris and Simmons.  He wasn't that good of a fit with Embiid.   Redick on the other hand was a great fit offensively and a lot of their half court offense was from the Redick/Embiid DHOs.  If they could have retained Redick to come of the bench, they'd be sitting pretty.  Right now with Richardson out, they are having to start Korkmaz whose 4th year option they didn't pick up. 

« Reply #2106 on: February 11, 2020, 08:10:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So the other night, Embiid was booed by the fans when they easily realized he wasn't hustling or playing hard out there, and then later on when Embiid made a shot, he shushed the crowd. And then after the game, follows it up with an IG post, and a reply to Butler's IG post.

And then in tonight's intros, as he's being introduced, Sixers fans booed him.

Honestly, I think this thing is going to get real ugly especially if PHI doesn't go on a deep playoff run this season. Already feels like Simmons/Embiid don't want to play with each other and so 1 could be dealt this summer if they don't reach the ECF.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2107 on: February 11, 2020, 08:11:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So the other night, Embiid was booed by the fans when they easily realized he wasn't hustling or playing hard out there, and then later on when Embiid made a shot, he shushed the crowd. And then after the game, follows it up with an IG post, and a reply to Butler's IG post.

Honestly, I think this thing is going to get real ugly especially if PHI doesn't go on a deep playoff run this season. Already feels like Simmons/Embiid don't want to play with each other and so 1 could be dealt this summer if they don't reach the ECF.
Loving this so much
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2108 on: February 11, 2020, 08:42:05 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Loving this so much

Looks like the process ... isn't trustworthy.

« Reply #2109 on: February 11, 2020, 08:42:57 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
So what team will trade for Embiid?

« Reply #2110 on: February 11, 2020, 08:43:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Loving this so much

Looks like the process ... isn't trustworthy.
Bring back Hinkie!

« Reply #2111 on: February 11, 2020, 08:44:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

oh darn, the sixers are having issues....lol
more of this please.

« Reply #2112 on: February 11, 2020, 08:59:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I said it in the game thread during the Celtics victory that a Philadelphia coach told Scal that the Philly coaching staff didn't think Embiid was putting in any effort. He was not trying hard enough.

If the coaching staff can see it and then says it, then Horford says publicly that there are issues in the locker room, of course fans are going to start to take notice of Embiid's lack of effort and rebel on him.

Guys that have half-assed it here in Boston have gotten lit up. In that regard, Philly fans aren't that much different than us. Those fans are starting to turn and if Embiid doesn't fix his stuff, he will be utterly rejected in that city.

« Reply #2113 on: February 11, 2020, 09:56:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So what team will trade for Embiid?
Boston for Tatum.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2114 on: February 11, 2020, 10:00:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach