Author Topic: Was the NBA's concussion protocol ignored for Lebron James?  (Read 4373 times)

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Yesterday of course Lebron took a wicked shoulder to the jaw from Tatum, after which he knelt on the floor for a minute, gathered himself, and them went directly into the locker room. ABC showed that he was clearly walking slowly and gingerly. Then, a few minutes later, he was back in the game.

I wasn't surprised that Lebron came back into the game. But what was surprising was the total lack of the word "concussion" used by the broadcast team. This morning I also haven't heard anyone mention this. The official story is that Lebron suffered a "neck strain", but I haven't heard any more detail than that.

Here is the text from the NBA's official summary of its concussion protocol:

Concussion Evaluation. If a player is suspected of having a concussion, or exhibits the signs or symptoms of concussion, he will be removed from participation by either a team physician or the player’s team athletic trainer and undergo evaluation in a quiet, distraction-free environment conducive to conducting a neurological evaluation.

Serial Evaluation. If a player undergoes a concussion evaluation and is not diagnosed with a concussion, the team’s medical staff will continue to monitor the player, and the player will undergo at least another concussion evaluation by the medical staff prior to the team’s next game or practice or approximately 24 hours after the initial concussion evaluation (whichever is first). If the player subsequently develops any signs or symptoms of concussion, the player will immediately be removed from participation and will undergo a concussion evaluation.

Did Lebron James exhibit any signs of a concussion? Judging from the broadcast, I certainly suspected that he may have suffered one. Was he evaluated by a team doctor? Or was he just sent back on the floor with the diagnosis of a "neck strain" to avoid the possibility that he might miss the remainder of game 2 and beyond?

I'm not saying there's some grand conspiracy here, and even if there were, it wouldn't get close to what we know about the NFL's crooked approach. But this whole episode warrants some discussion and acknowledgement, at least.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Re: Was the NBA's concussion protocol ignored for Lebron James?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:38:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I doubt he had a concussion as he was hit in the jaw, which rarely leads to concussions.  Neck strains, however, are fairly common with jaw hits, since the neck usually jerks on those type of hits.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:55:31 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Didn't Lebron once say that he doesn't get concussions?

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:57:10 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I doubt he had a concussion as he was hit in the jaw, which rarely leads to concussions.  Neck strains, however, are fairly common with jaw hits, since the neck usually jerks on those type of hits.

I don't know whether he got a concussion, but hits to the jaw are very common causes of concussions.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm assuming they checked him when he went to the locker room and he didn't exhibit signs of it. They might not have formally admitted it though to avoid the Concussion Protocol during the next three days though.

LBJ isn't going to say anything either way, he'll play game 3.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:12:57 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Not sure if it was ignored in the locker room or not but it sure looked like a concussion to me.  Walking in the hallway to the locker room, he had a very hard time.  He was almost "out" on his feet.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm assuming they checked him when he went to the locker room and he didn't exhibit signs of it. They might not have formally admitted it though to avoid the Concussion Protocol during the next three days though.

If he exhibited no signs, then the only thing the protocol requires is checking him again the next day. If they checked him and found no symptoms, there's not really any reason not to say so (other than thinking that he won't pass today)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown

If he exhibited no signs, then the only thing the protocol requires is checking him again the next day. If they checked him and found no symptoms, there's not really any reason not to say so (other than thinking that he won't pass today)

Yeah that's the point. Was he assessed for symptoms? Because there's a strong incentive for the organization and the player to just say "let's go with neck strain" or simply to not even conduct any exam knowing what it might discover.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 10:11:31 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Yeah that's the point. Was he assessed for symptoms? Because there's a strong incentive for the organization and the player to just say "let's go with neck strain" or simply to not even conduct any exam knowing what it might discover.

What's the incentive for Lebron  ?

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 10:24:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Suspect judgement

if it was a Celtics player ,  out 12 weeks

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 10:41:27 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Not going to hurt his thick head
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 10:58:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah I just think if he has some headaches like Al did he'd probably not say anything in this situation. Which isn't good, but what athletes have done consistently when faced with possibly missing playoff/important games in multiple sports.

I don't think the doctor's did anything wrong, just saying what I think could have happened. Hopefully it really is just a neck strain and the C's can just come out and beat him the next two games with him on the court.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
He was definitely concussed. A whiplash event like that shakes the brain enough to hit the inner skull.  The signs of falling to his knee on the court, the daze look, and the walk to the locker room watching the floor are easy enough to see. 

What becomes questionable is the handling of the protocol.  He manages to come back into the game despite less than four minutes remaining in the half is what makes this difficult to believe.  Those protocols are supposed to be excessively thorough, so how did LeBron manage to be through them in less than 10 minutes?

Along with the quick tests, the broadcasters actively sought to use any other words than concussion despite pointing out how dazed and different LeBron looked.  I understand that this player is vital for the game and the product, but with all likelihood, LeBron James was concussed and the Cavs and league didn't enforce the protocol. 

It shouldn't matter to the Celtics anymore, but it goes to show the League and its friends are willing to break their own rules when it is self-serving. It also means that LeBron might have a hard time in the next week or two with arising symptons.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:17:19 PM by GRADYCOLNON »

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Concussions are hard to evaluate. Often they are asymptomatic for hours after the physical event and diagnosis is based highly on patient self reporting symptoms.

I don't see how you can say "he was definitely concussed". Not every collision that shakes player up is a concussion. He very well might have been, but to use such certainty is irresponsible.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:47:08 AM by Fafnir »