Author Topic: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin  (Read 11740 times)

Re: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2024, 12:39:35 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
https://x.com/bleacherreport/status/1749948830014197935?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Adrian Griffin told Bucks stars that "sacrifice was required" during an airing-out session after losing to Pacers in the In-Season Tournament, per @ChrisBHaynes

Griffin "lost the locker room" over time and the Bucks front office believed a change was necessary   

From everything being reported, it sure sounds like Dame isn’t happy with his role, even though he’s still a high usage player. I’m sure Giannis is also onboard, but Dame seems to be central to this issue no matter what perspective you look at it from.

I will say that ever since his trade request stuff, I’ve soured quite a bit on Dame. It feels like it’s becoming increasingly clear that “winning” wasn’t his top priority, and his role/status as the clear number one - along with getting his money, the preferable location, etc. - we’re just as important to him.

Is Dame just a more likeable version of James Harden?

It kills me with these guys, they finally realize they can't carry a team by themselves, so they demand a trade, but then are unhappy when they have to take a slightly reduced role.

(To be fair, Clipper Harden seems to be doing okay in his role so far, but I expect some more drama from him in 5-6 months if the Clippers don't make the Finals).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 12:45:32 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2024, 01:51:39 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
https://x.com/bleacherreport/status/1749948830014197935?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Adrian Griffin told Bucks stars that "sacrifice was required" during an airing-out session after losing to Pacers in the In-Season Tournament, per @ChrisBHaynes

Griffin "lost the locker room" over time and the Bucks front office believed a change was necessary   

From everything being reported, it sure sounds like Dame isn’t happy with his role, even though he’s still a high usage player. I’m sure Giannis is also onboard, but Dame seems to be central to this issue no matter what perspective you look at it from.

I will say that ever since his trade request stuff, I’ve soured quite a bit on Dame. It feels like it’s becoming increasingly clear that “winning” wasn’t his top priority, and his role/status as the clear number one - along with getting his money, the preferable location, etc. - we’re just as important to him.

Is Dame just a more likeable version of James Harden?

It kills me with these guys, they finally realize they can't carry a team by themselves, so they demand a trade, but then are unhappy when they have to take a slightly reduced role.

(To be fair, Clipper Harden seems to be doing okay in his role so far, but I expect some more drama from him in 5-6 months if the Clippers don't make the Finals).

Yep, head cases with hidden agendas - Kyrie comes to mind.
Only a matter of time before he gets restless for some emotional drama in Dallas and his fake love affair with Doncic blows up.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2024, 02:31:29 AM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
That was fast. I don’t get it though. If Doc was helping out Griffin as consultant, then what can he bring in that’s new? Unless Griffin wasn’t listening to Doc’s suggestions? I’m really looking forward to see how this pans out.
With Doc being in the news again, imma just drop this classic here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cQwiU0EqOwU

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2024, 09:43:19 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2024, 10:00:28 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Reasonable, but I want to follow this through a bit.

If winning isn't the priority, why burn all that goodwill and demand a trade from Portland in the first place? Because he's an idiot? Because Portland drafted Scoot? Because he likes Milwaukee more than Portland (a variation on point one, I think most of us would say)?

Like, he's gone to a better team, the team is winning loads of games... the head coach definitely got fired because he lost the locker room, which is why they've brought Doc in (if he has any superlative NBA skill, it's being a player-whisperer as a head coach), but we should take that athletic story (which appears to be a mouthpiece for someone in the Buck's FO) with some fairly large grains of salt.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2024, 10:15:23 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

To me it looks like Giannis is the one calling all of the shots, not Dame.  Giannis wanted Lillard for Holliday and now the defense sucks.  Shocker.  I saw a report that Giannis wanted Griffin over Nick Nurse.  He got his wish.  It was Giannis who made all the comments to the media about the team's lack of defensive schemes.  I used to love Giannis's intangibles but he seems like a diva now.  Not to mention all the clown faces and carrying on every time he dunks.  To me it looks like Giannis controls everything and Lillard is along for the ride.

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2024, 10:47:30 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

To me it looks like Giannis is the one calling all of the shots, not Dame.  Giannis wanted Lillard for Holliday and now the defense sucks.  Shocker.  I saw a report that Giannis wanted Griffin over Nick Nurse.  He got his wish.  It was Giannis who made all the comments to the media about the team's lack of defensive schemes.  I used to love Giannis's intangibles but he seems like a diva now.  Not to mention all the clown faces and carrying on every time he dunks.  To me it looks like Giannis controls everything and Lillard is along for the ride.

I’m not totally sure about it being all Giannis, or Dame for that matter.  Let’s not overlook the fact that Terry Stotts was hired to be Griffin’s lead assistant and quit during the pre-season because of how Griffin treated him.   Griffin might have been one of those guys that no one likes working for, one of those insecure bosses always looking over their shoulder and yelling at everyone all the time.  They exist in every profession, and they suck the energy out of everyone.  If you’ve had one, you know what I’m talking about.

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2024, 11:11:40 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I’m not totally sure about it being all Giannis, or Dame for that matter.  Let’s not overlook the fact that Terry Stotts was hired to be Griffin’s lead assistant and quit during the pre-season because of how Griffin treated him.   Griffin might have been one of those guys that no one likes working for, one of those insecure bosses always looking over their shoulder and yelling at everyone all the time.  They exist in every profession, and they suck the energy out of everyone.  If you’ve had one, you know what I’m talking about.

From my personal experience, I always thought it could go either way.

I definitely know of guys like the one's you described.

But I also know of guys who constantly undercut their boss, overstep their bounds, have trouble taking a subservient role after being in charge in the past, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn either one was true, but of course with the Griffin firing now, it makes me lean more towards Griffin being like what you described (insecure dictator).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 11:23:54 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2024, 11:25:57 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Made me laugh

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2024, 12:03:16 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
It's going to be a tall task for Doc coming in midseason.

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2024, 12:24:43 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

From my personal experience, I always thought it could go either way.

I definitely know of guys like the one's you described.

But I also know of guys who constantly undercut their boss, overstep their bounds, have trouble taking a subservient role after being in charge in the past, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn either one was true, but of course with the Griffin firing now, it makes me lean more towards Griffin being like what you described (insecure dictator).

Totally agree that it sometimes goes the other way.  But with Griffin having trouble with both players and coaches, the evidence points to it having not been that in this case.

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2024, 12:36:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Doc has emerged as an early candidate. Ha ha

Who else has been rehashed more .

That’s good , saves us from getting him once Joe is axed.

Joe just jumped from kettle on simmer to red hot frying pan . You just don’t get more  1-2 chances with a rookie head coach wasting away a club that’s built to win it all.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 12:42:40 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2024, 01:01:47 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Please get Doc Rivers and not JVG. JVG knows our secrets and plays since doofus Joe collaborates with him.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2024, 01:02:46 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Please get Doc Rivers and not JVG. JVG knows our secrets and plays since doofus Joe collaborates with him.

EDIT: I think it's official per ESPN that Doc is now the Milwaukee Bucks head coach.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2024, 04:36:58 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Does Rivers have a job interview tutorial out there somewhere?   He must be a helluva salesperson.

He's had the league's best talent to work with.   With the exception of one year when he had the league's best defensive coach on the bench and the best defensive player of his era on the court....Where's his success?

Great news for the Celtics and the Eastern Conference.