Author Topic: Shams: Smart & Celtics will not agree to deal by deadline tonight (luxury tax)  (Read 9877 times)

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm looking to be corrected on this if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the Celtics being a team that quibbles over the dollars much. I can't think of anyone since Tony Allen who the Celtics didn't give them the money they were worth.

Evan Turner left because he got a ludicrous offer from Portland. Olynyk left for cap space reasons. Crowder seemed very happy with his deal when it was signed. A lot of peolpe thought Avery Bradley was overpaid when he signed the deal he's on now. The Celtics didn't blink at maxing out Horford and Hayward.

Am I missing anyone?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Danny trades those who want too much or are valued too much

Perk, it, bradley

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Danny trades those who want too much or are valued too much

Perk, it, bradley
I don't know if it's right to characterize Bradley that way. If Hayward had been off the table, Bradley would still be here and I imagine the Celtics would be prepared to pay him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm looking to be corrected on this if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the Celtics being a team that quibbles over the dollars much. I can't think of anyone since Tony Allen who the Celtics didn't give them the money they were worth.

Evan Turner left because he got a ludicrous offer from Portland. Olynyk left for cap space reasons. Crowder seemed very happy with his deal when it was signed. A lot of peolpe thought Avery Bradley was overpaid when he signed the deal he's on now. The Celtics didn't blink at maxing out Horford and Hayward.

Am I missing anyone?

I think a more precise characterization might be that, when Danny has paid his guys, he has paid at least fair market value.

But he has several times simply avoided paying guys (either by trading them or letting them walk).
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
How much of a discount would the Celtics have gotten if they signed him?

Isn't Marcus confident about his abilities this year, esp. considering that he's in the best shape of his NBA career?

Why would Marcus take a home town discount when he could play multiple teams off each other in Free Agency?

Wouldn't his agent be doing Smart an injustice by advising him to sign now for less?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart can be in the best shape of his life but through two games he has shown himself to be what he has been since college: a defensive bulldog with poor offensive decision making and a horrible shot.

He's 9 for 29 so far and 3 for 11 from 3PT. That's what he is. Danny needs to see he isn't worth more than $10-11 million a year if he is such a horrid offensive player.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Smart will be fine.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Smart will be fine.

I feel the same way but even as a big Smart guy this is why I get letting it play out.  I don't think there will really be anyone to overpay him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Hopefully, his terrible shooting so far could put off some potential suitors. We need his defensive presence more than anything.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
How much of a discount would the Celtics have gotten if they signed him?

Isn't Marcus confident about his abilities this year, esp. considering that he's in the best shape of his NBA career?

Why would Marcus take a home town discount when he could play multiple teams off each other in Free Agency?

Wouldn't his agent be doing Smart an injustice by advising him to sign now for less?
Who says he's going to get more next offseason.  Noel thought he'd get a big contract and now he is playing on a 4.1M qualifying offer.  KCP had to settle for a 1 year deal. 

There just isn't going to be much cap space next offseason.  On a recent podcast, Nate Duncan estimated only 7 teams would have more than the mid level exception.