Author Topic: Paul Pierce agrees to 2-year, Mid-Level deal with the Washington Wizards  (Read 16486 times)

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Huh???  Were the Nets not willing to match or top the MLE?
maybe pierce wants to win

If it's about winning, I think he would have signed somewhere else.

That Wizards team has a nice future. Probably the best back court in the league next year.

Pierce doesn't have a nice future.  He only has a couple good years left...He should've signed the MLE with a contender.

Who? Are we even sure a contender wanted him for that price and gig.
wizards made it to 2nd round. they are a contender. this isnt 2009.

Offline thehumburger

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
This feels very weird. Although he will help that Wiz lineup tremendously.

But, man, KG has just been left behind.

According to the writeup on ESPN,

"Sources told ESPNNewYork.com's Mike Mazzeo that the Nets elected to pass on signing Pierce."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11208931/paul-pierce-washington-wizards-agree-two-year-deal

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
This, compounded with some of Hollins's recent statements, leads me to believe KG's played his last NBA game already. I'm still surprised Pierce chose WAS of all places though. He didn't get the money he wanted, and he didn't go to a clear cut contender, either. Washington's made big strides to be sure, but the pieces of their core don't really align well and they just lost their best defender. I'd rather have seen him gone to Dallas, where they can also provide money, a sizable role, and good chances at a deep playoff run. Moreover, seeing Pierce next to Dirk would be a crazy sight.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!

That Wizards team has a nice future. Probably the best back court in the league next year.

Future. Exactly. But they aren't a contender right now. Pierce has 2 years left, and the Wiz are about 3 years away.

The East will be as wide open as it's been in 4 years next season. Pierce probably doesn't want to come off the bench therefore his options are limited.

If he's starting, then that doesn't say much for the team.

I disagree. The Wiz lack experience which is something the Captain will help them out on.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I guess he thinks Washington has more of a shot at winning than Brooklyn does...which is probably accurate.

Brooklyn barely made it out of first round primarily because of Pierce. He has a better shot at making some noise in Washington. They can use his experience because they have plenty of youth.

Those Nets picks are looking pretty awesome.

The 2016 is looking awesome at least as they will still be tied to a 35 year old joe johnson on max money and an old deron williams. After that they can try and reload in 2017-18.

I could see Prokorov selling and ruining the franchise though so all the picks could honestly be good.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!

Pierce doesn't have a nice future.  He only has a couple good years left...He should've signed the MLE with a contender.

Sure there will be a East team in the Finals next year but the West is repeating next year. SA, OKC, LAC one of those is next years champion.

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
The most important part of him signing with the Wiz is that the Nets will suck even more...hoping with optimism for lottery.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Also what a steal by Ainge.

For a one year rental of the corpses of Pierce and KG he has gotten 3 UNPROTECTED picks, and the right to swap in 2017. Plus the Cavs pick now!

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

For a one year rental of the corpses of Pierce and KG he has gotten 3 UNPROTECTED picks, and the right to swap in 2017. Plus the Cavs pick now!

And zeller

And maybe a sign and trade of Humpty Dumpty.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50

we've already cashed in 1 of the nets picks as James Young. cant wait for the others!

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
The most important part of him signing with the Wiz is that the Nets will suck even more...hoping with optimism for lottery.

We don't have their pick this year... Atlanta does.

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Good pickup for the wizards
Still would have liked for him to sign back with the celtics, even with our roster now
I believe had we have got love during the draft and another player, i think pierce would have sign back with us

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This, compounded with some of Hollins's recent statements, leads me to believe KG's played his last NBA game already. I'm still surprised Pierce chose WAS of all places though. He didn't get the money he wanted, and he didn't go to a clear cut contender, either. Washington's made big strides to be sure, but the pieces of their core don't really align well and they just lost their best defender. I'd rather have seen him gone to Dallas, where they can also provide money, a sizable role, and good chances at a deep playoff run. Moreover, seeing Pierce next to Dirk would be a crazy sight.

Well and a lot of Washington's success was predicated by Ariza's contract year performance. Pierce can't replicate that defense.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Good pickup for the wizards
Still would have liked for him to sign back with the celtics, even with our roster now
I believe had we have got love during the draft and another player, i think pierce would have sign back with us

Agreed.

At least Ainge hired billy king last year  ;)

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

They may have made it to the 2nd round but they just lost one of their best players (Ariza).  I don't see them as a team that will win a Championship in the next couple of years and isn't that the point??
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.