Author Topic: Paul Pierce agrees to 2-year, Mid-Level deal with the Washington Wizards  (Read 16480 times)

Offline JWC95

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 7
I'm surprised, but Pierce made the decision that he felt was best for him. I'm OK with that. Hope of him retiring as a Celtic is still open. He has a option after one year.

EDIT: It is interesting to note that Sam Cassell is the Wizards' assistant coach.
JWC95

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
This, compounded with some of Hollins's recent statements, leads me to believe KG's played his last NBA game already. I'm still surprised Pierce chose WAS of all places though. He didn't get the money he wanted, and he didn't go to a clear cut contender, either. Washington's made big strides to be sure, but the pieces of their core don't really align well and they just lost their best defender. I'd rather have seen him gone to Dallas, where they can also provide money, a sizable role, and good chances at a deep playoff run. Moreover, seeing Pierce next to Dirk would be a crazy sight.

Well and a lot of Washington's success was predicated by Ariza's contract year performance. Pierce can't replicate that defense.

Washington must've been his best offer. Thought he'd be a good stretch four in Houston.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
This, compounded with some of Hollins's recent statements, leads me to believe KG's played his last NBA game already. I'm still surprised Pierce chose WAS of all places though. He didn't get the money he wanted, and he didn't go to a clear cut contender, either. Washington's made big strides to be sure, but the pieces of their core don't really align well and they just lost their best defender. I'd rather have seen him gone to Dallas, where they can also provide money, a sizable role, and good chances at a deep playoff run. Moreover, seeing Pierce next to Dirk would be a crazy sight.

Well and a lot of Washington's success was predicated by Ariza's contract year performance. Pierce can't replicate that defense.

Yeah, that's what I was going for when I said they lost their best defender. I don't think enough people give Ariza enough credit for his defense. His defense isn't just good, it's great.

But hey, at least the CLE-WAS rivalry got renewed this offseason?

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
This is a steal for the Wizards. Wow. Pierce, even at this point in his career, is probably worth a good 30-40 percent more than the MLE. He's, what, a 4th option on the Wiz? Behind Beal, Wall, Gortat and Nene? This Wiz team could definitely come out of the East.

Should be a fun season next year - East hasn't been this wide open in some time.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Washington was the 4th best team in the East last year.  I think they are the favorite to win the SE division next year especially with Wall and Beal only getting better.  They have a pretty solid big man rotation with Gortat, Nene, and Booker.  They have Webster and Porter as guys that can legitimately give Pierce as much rest as he will need.

I figured Pierce was staying in Brooklyn, headed to L.A., or coming back to Boston, but I do actually like the fit in Washington and I do think the Wizards could really surprise some people.  John Wall is really really good.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Huh???  Were the Nets not willing to match or top the MLE?
maybe pierce wants to win

If it's about winning, I think he would have signed somewhere else.

That Wizards team has a nice future. Probably the best back court in the league next year.

Future. Exactly. But they aren't a contender right now. Pierce has 2 years left, and the Wiz are about 3 years away.

The East will be as wide open as it's been in 4 years next season. Pierce probably doesn't want to come off the bench therefore his options are limited.

If he's starting, then that doesn't say much for the team.

I disagree. The Wiz lack experience which is something the Captain will help them out on.

If Pierce is your starting SF, the rest of your team better be loaded because this isn't the 2008 Pierce.   I agree that he will be a good mentor but he's not a quality starter anymore. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
the best teams in the east now might be the cavs, wizards, and hornets. what a change of event.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!

That Wizards team has a nice future. Probably the best back court in the league next year.

Future. Exactly. But they aren't a contender right now. Pierce has 2 years left, and the Wiz are about 3 years away.

The East will be as wide open as it's been in 4 years next season. Pierce probably doesn't want to come off the bench therefore his options are limited.

If he's starting, then that doesn't say much for the team.

I disagree. The Wiz lack experience which is something the Captain will help them out on.

If Pierce is your starting SF, the rest of your team better be loaded because this isn't the 2008 Pierce.   I agree that he will be a good mentor but he's not a quality starter anymore.

He doesn't have to be. He has plenty of help around him to do his thing.

fitzhickey

Pierce doesn't have a nice future.  He only has a couple good years left...He should've signed the MLE with a contender.

Who? Are we even sure a contender wanted him for that price and gig.
wizards made it to 2nd round. they are a contender. this isnt 2009.

Sure there will be a East team in the Finals next year but the West is repeating next year. SA, OKC, LAC one of those is next years champion.
Cleveland is better than LAC. Kyrie is gettin closer to CP3's level and LeBron is ridiculous

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!
@daldridgetnt

Pierce's first choice wasn't D.C. He wanted LA or Nets. But as he looked at Wiz closer he said 'they're a pretty good team,' per source.

Smart man

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
If the Nets are having payroll concerns now, I wonder if our non garenteed contracts, combined with Bass, could Net us KG!?

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!

Pierce doesn't have a nice future.  He only has a couple good years left...He should've signed the MLE with a contender.

Sure there will be a East team in the Finals next year but the West is repeating next year. SA, OKC, LAC one of those is next years champion.
Cleveland is better than LAC. Kyrie is gettin closer to CP3's level and LeBron is ridiculous

LeBron disagrees with you on that.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I'm shocked he didn't go to the Clippers. The money he got was not much, they could have gotten him if both sides wanted it done.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Kyrie is on CP3's level really?!

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64

Kyrie is on CP3's level really?!

he said "getting closer"... but it think he's far from CP3's level... he need to take care of his injury first
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…