Author Topic: Irving again throws young teammates under the bus  (Read 7032 times)

Irving again throws young teammates under the bus
« on: February 20, 2019, 03:23:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/02/20/kyrie-irving-free-agency-espn/amp

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing,” Irving told ESPN’s Rachel Nichols. “That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

“Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well,” Irving said. “Coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

Does Irving understand the team made the ECF last season without him or Hayward??

Why does he feel the need that he has to teach them ?

Did anybody else see this issue with AL and young guys as they made their way to the ECF?

Re: Irving again throws young teammates under the bus
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 03:29:38 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I do see a problem with it. He wants to be a leader, but he doesn't understand what a leader is all about, and far worse he believes that LeBron is the person to ask about that. Positional leadership is where he's at (the best player on the team). Being an actual leader requires much more investment.

I'm more than willing to accept this. I don't want to argue about whether or not he's a good basketball player or if the team is better without him. That argument is absolute nonsense. They need to figure out a way to make it fit.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 03:34:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I do see a problem with it. He wants to be a leader, but he doesn't understand what a leader is all about, and far worse he believes that LeBron is the person to ask about that. Positional leadership is where he's at (the best player on the team). Being an actual leader requires much more investment.

I'm more than willing to accept this. I don't want to argue about whether or not he's a good basketball player or if the team is better without him. That argument is absolute nonsense. They need to figure out a way to make it fit.

Why doesnt Irving learn and just be quiet?

The foolish post game interview (Magic)... that caused embarrassment and unneccessary attention for him and the team

Didnt he say he wouldnt do that again...

And now this??

Keep it closed doors

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 03:35:32 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
The problem is he talks too much.
ENOUGH
I am not even sure that the way things come out is what he meant... he just like to give long complicated answers, where he should be using the short sentence answers that all players use.

ps. i got no issues with the Rozier comment

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 03:39:53 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think he says things without thinking too much and then he realizes he didn’t say things exactly the way he meant them and tried to fix them and creates even a bigger mess... at this point we shouldn’t care whether he stays or not. If he wins us a game or two in the playoffs fine... if he doesn’t win us a game or two in the playoffs we might be better off without him

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
“Talk follows the great players in the league,” he said. “I’m appreciative and grateful to be one of those great players in our league now. I’ve worked my way to get here.”

Facepalm

Wow so humble

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 03:43:55 PM »

Online CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/02/20/kyrie-irving-free-agency-espn/amp

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing,” Irving told ESPN’s Rachel Nichols. “That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

“Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well,” Irving said. “Coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

Does Irving understand the team made the ECF last season without him or Hayward??

Did anybody else see this issue with AL and young guys as they made their way to the ECF
I know he worded his opinion a bit poorly and is being a bit of a d***, but is he wrong? He said what this forum has been saying the whole season - we know the players are capable of more and the improvemet in our play has coincided with individual improvement (remember the cold shooting in the first 20 games)

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 03:48:01 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
These comments are annoying, but I'm not worried about it long term.  He may ruffle some feathers in the locker room this season, but come next year, I don't think it will be an issue assuming we get Davis.  Tatum and Rozier will likely be gone, the players on the team will be older, and we'll have another mega star even bigger than him.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 03:48:07 PM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
It doesnt seem like Kyrie is dissing his teammates when you watch him speak in person, more so just sharing his experiences and being reflective about it, but you can't keep saying these things to the media.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 03:49:02 PM »

Online CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
“Talk follows the great players in the league,” he said. “I’m appreciative and grateful to be one of those great players in our league now. I’ve worked my way to get here.”

Facepalm

Wow so humble
When have great players been humble? MJ? Lebroid? Kobe? Wilt? Dirk and Duncan might be one of the few. Big egos come with greatness. Remember Bird's comments about how it's disrespectful to him if a white guy is guarding him

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 03:52:08 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
His comments were true. In fact, I thought they praised Terry Rozier significantly. They might have even increased his value in free agency.

I listened to it and cringed because I knew some Boston fans would fail to see what Irving was saying again. His greatest fault is that he is a poor communicator. He wants to be honest. He wants to be encouraging. He even wants to take blame where necessary.

He should just be quiet, but he won't. This is our all-nba player. Stop assuming the worst and instead think the best.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Did anybody else see this issue with AL and young guys as they made their way to the ECF?

We don't need really need an article about a 4 minute YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir7AT-BFcSI

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing. That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

When I listen to that interview, I think Kyrie's including himself in that quote, so he's not calling out anybody there (at least the way I interpret it.).

And there's a sentence bridging the 2 quotes conveniently missing that adds more context.

"I initially didn't play the minutes I wanted to play, I'm 26 years old heading into my prime, like why do I have to wait for anybody?  Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well, coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

When I hear the whole interview, I hear "we as a team need to be mature and professional every single day to be great.  We have a locker room full of young talented guys who want to play more minutes and have a bigger role.  I want to play  more.  Terry wants to play more.  We all have to understand each other."

Irving could have worded it better, but I don't hear anything negative in that interview.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:19:23 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 03:57:01 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=77&v=ir7AT-BFcSI

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing. That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

When I listen to that interview, I think Kyrie's including himself in that quote, so he's not calling out anybody there (at least the way I interpret it.).

And there's a sentence bridging the 2 quotes conveniently missing that adds more context.

"I initially didn't play the minutes I wanted to play, I'm 26 years old heading into my prime, like why do I have to wait for anybody?  Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well, coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

When I hear the whole interview, I hear "we as a team need to be mature and professional every single day to be great.  We have a locker room full of young talented guys who want to play more minutes and have a bigger role.  I want to play  more.  Terry wants to play more.  We all have to understand each other."

I don't hear anything negative in that interview.

Yeah, he's including himself. It's amazing what actually watching the interview can do instead of reading a few cherry-picked quotes.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 03:57:49 PM »

Online CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
I think he says things without thinking too much and then he realizes he didn’t say things exactly the way he meant them and tried to fix them and creates even a bigger mess... at this point we shouldn’t care whether he stays or not. If he wins us a game or two in the playoffs fine... if he doesn’t win us a game or two in the playoffs we might be better off without him
I think all of Kyrie doubters will sing a different tune in the playoffs. I vividly remember the 2017 conference finals against the Cavs. He averaged 26 points (alongside Lebron and Love who averaged 30 and 22) on insane splits - 62/50/92. He also had a 42 point outburst in one game. I remember how helpless I felt watching our team trying to defenx him. And that was against Bradley and Smart, who are no slouches on defense. You think Bledsoe or Lowry can defend him?

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 03:58:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=77&v=ir7AT-BFcSI

Irving could have worded it better, but I don't hear anything negative in that interview.

We basically have a bunch young men. Including myself

Did he say it like that?

It always seems to be us vets (do no wrong) vs  young guys (careless, not at my level)

All this does is divide, not unite