Author Topic: Nate Robinson wants to try out for NFL teams  (Read 8532 times)

Re: Nate Robinson wants to try out for NFL teams
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 12:14:41 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I would love to see him be able to, but I can't imagine it happening on D.  He is listed at 5'9'' but there is no way he is over 5' 8''.  I can't imagine him being able to hang when he will be usually giving up 4" to guys that are just as athletic as he is.

I just wanna know how you know there's "no way" he's over 5'8" if he's listed at 5'9", as if that's not already short for the NBA.

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I just wanna know how you know there's "no way" he's over 5'8" if he's listed at 5'9", as if that's not already short for the NBA.

Just because a player is listed at 5'9" does not mean he actually is.  In college he tried to get listed at 5'11".  Look at this pic of him next to the 5'5" Earl Boykins.  You can't tell me he is 4 inches taller.  I'm guessing he is 5'7.  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9145120@N05/3422250903/

I've also stood next to him with my wife who is barely shorter than him at 5'6''.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Just because a player is listed at 5'9" does not mean he actually is.  In college he tried to get listed at 5'11".  Look at this pic of him next to the 5'5" Earl Boykins.  You can't tell me he is 4 inches taller.  I'm guessing he is 5'7.  

I've also stood next to him with my wife who is barely shorter than him at 5'6''.

I think it’s generally accepted that most players are a little shorter than their listed height.  I’ve heard Barkley say he was 6’4”, even though he’s listed as 6’6”, I’ve heard Rodman say he was 6’6” even though he was listed as 6’8”, and I’ve heard John Starks say he was 6’1” even though he was listed as 6’5”.  I’m 5’11” and I was taller than Rondo when I met him and he’s listed at 6’1”. 

But with that being said, do we really think that only extends to basketball?  Pretty sure the same goes for other sports too.  So while Nate may be an inch or two shorter than his listed height, I bet you most of those NFL players we’re comparing him to are an inch or two shorter than their listed height too.  If you subtract inches from Nate’s actual height, you need to subtract it from other players too, because they’re all using the same manipulation with those numbers.  Bigger is better, and they all want to seem bigger, not just Nate.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell

Glad you got to meet Nate. :)

That pic kinda gives off the idea that Nate isn't that much taller than Earl, definitely. I guess it's possible Nate is shorter than 5'9".

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 01:20:52 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
the guy i an athletic freak.  i would love to see what he can do
Watch some of his HS highlights.  They're some of the best highlights I've ever seen.  He was IMPOSSIBLE to tackle, I don't know if it'd translate to the pros, but he made those HS kids look pathetic.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 11:50:22 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
nate could play in the nfl in a heart beat, would take him some time to get back into football but he has the size to be a cb and the athletisism to be an above average one.  Pats sign him up
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Most NFL players are big and tall enough to do on Nate what he did on the sidewalk to get arrested last month.

He'd get squashed.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the guy i an athletic freak.  i would love to see what he can do
Watch some of his HS highlights.  They're some of the best highlights I've ever seen.  He was IMPOSSIBLE to tackle, I don't know if it'd translate to the pros, but he made those HS kids look pathetic.

i have seen them, which is why i'd love to see if he could do it on a professional level. 

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
Most NFL players are big and tall enough to do on Nate what he did on the sidewalk to get arrested last month.

He'd get squashed.

The guy played college football. That alone makes this an exaggeration; it's not like he was a punter or place kicker. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll make a NFL team, but jeez, give him more credit than that.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

He'd get squashed.

The guy played college football. That alone makes this an exaggeration; it's not like he was a punter or place kicker. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll make a NFL team, but jeez, give him more credit than that.

This isn't Jordan trying out for baseball in AA....We're talking about a diminutive guy who hasn't played organized football for 6 years...And never at this level. 

He'd get squashed.