Author Topic: Marcus Morris says "There's always room for a versatile bully"  (Read 4625 times)

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/923lvd/marcus_morris_doesnt_mess_around/

Here's the reddit post with the conversation with a fan.

I like his attitude. If Danny decides to keep Morris this season, this is a good attitude to have. Come in the game. Be the inforcer. Be tough. Be versatile. Be the cheerleader for the young guys.

Re: Marcus Morris says "There's always room for a versatile bully"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 12:40:13 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Not a big fan.
Takes a lot of shots. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 02:39:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I love Mook to be honest. Takes no garbage, will get in the face of whoever he wants, and can get buckets. Plus, he can defend.

Only thing that annoyed me last season was that darn Jodie Meeks three he let happen
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 03:21:47 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Not a big fan.

How many shots he takes can be determined by the Head Coach - if he is not afraid of his players.

I would love to keep Morris - he definitely helps us win.
He apologized all over the place for misplaying the Meeks possession.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 07:34:22 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Does it bother anyone else about as to how casually players and commentators not only refer to players as "bullies" and "bully ball", but that such is done in a positive light? Sorry, but I just don't think that that makes for a good look, to put it mildly :-\.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 07:53:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not a big fan.
The league-wide FG% is probably less than 50%, so he's pretty typical.

What's your opinion on his other 50% of the game (defense)?

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
We need a guy like this on our team.
Hayward, Horford, Brown and Tatum while all great players I feel they don't put fear in opposing players. They play clean. while guys like Morris and Smart add the grit and grind.

A guy like Morris is a perfect counter to Draymond Green if we were to make the finals. He won us games in the playoffs this past season and hope he is here to stay this year and beyond.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 07:57:15 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Does it bother anyone else about as to how casually players and commentators not only refer to players as "bullies" and "bully ball", but that such is done in a positive light? Sorry, but I just don't think that that makes for a good look, to put it mildly :-\.
It would bother me if it were the '80's. In today's NBA there is little chance with the flagrant foul rules in place. You can still be physical and we have guys that do that. I wish Baynes would be a little more aggressive but we already have a couple of guys that are aggressive that walk the fine line. We don't want retaliation against our guys, especially someone like Kyrie, who is on the small side but still takes the ball to the hole a lot. Don't want any cheap shots taken at him. Admitting to being a bully in this era is different . He's not dirty.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 08:34:19 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Not a big fan.
true, though for me the real rub is that even when the shots arent going in for him, he still puts up more shots.

too much of a black home on offense for my liking. other than that, is a good player in general. though not a particularly pleasant human being.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Not a big fan.
The league-wide FG% is probably less than 50%, so he's pretty typical.

What's your opinion on his other 50% of the game (defense)?

I don't like his game. Look at his stats against Cleveland in the playoffs. He completely disappeared.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 09:29:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Nope. I think having tough guys is good. I’d dump Yabu in place of Perk in a second.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
"Toughness" is good as long as it stays controlled and doesn't translate into too many dangerous plays. I don't consider Marcus a dirty player.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 11:25:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
His shot selection and iso Ball certainly irks me but we need his skill set and attitude on this team.

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
We need a guy like this on our team.
Hayward, Horford, Brown and Tatum while all great players I feel they don't put fear in opposing players. They play clean. while guys like Morris and Smart add the grit and grind.

A guy like Morris is a perfect counter to Draymond Green if we were to make the finals. He won us games in the playoffs this past season and hope he is here to stay this year and beyond.

I agree.  He is a vet that doesn't shy away from contact and a tough def assignment.  I would rather keep him than Yabu as well.  He makes our bench so much better.

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 11:37:40 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
One of the best timeouts Brad ever called was in the playoffs last yeawr, overtime of game 3 against the Sixers. Celtics down one, about ten seconds left, and Marcus Morris has the ball 22 feet away from the basket. He's pounding the rock, getting ready to crossover into one of his patented long two-point jumpers. Brad sees what is coming and calls timeout. Crisis averted. The resulting ATO play gets us a layup and we win!

I could swear something similar happened near the end of one of the Bucks games but I'm not sure.

Marcus' irrational confidence can help you if nobody else on the second unit is willing to shoot or if he's on a streak; it can destroy the flow of your offense and waste a bunch of possessions if the ball sticks to him and he's chucking long 2s. His defense is good, but I wouldn't say it stands out. He's basically an OK starter on an middling NBA team - or potentially a rotation player on a team that can go deep in the playoffs. A nice find for $5 million/per, but we may have 8 or 9 better players for most matchups most nights.