Author Topic: Carsen Edwards (merged threads)  (Read 21309 times)

Re: Carsen Edwards (merged threads)
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2019, 10:37:27 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Edwards bigger than Kemba? I do not think so.

If when you say “bigger”, you mean “taller”, then officially Kemba is one inch taller. But it’s also true, again officially, that Edwards weighs 15 pounds more. That’s substantially bigger.

Carsen is built like the proverbial fireplug. At the same time he’s got explosive acceleration; this guy was made to play on-the-ball defense at the point of attack.
Official heights can be very misleading ...

That’s why I added “official”; and in fact there are other variables than the ones you mention, including how it’s done, who’s doing it, how upright they stand, and even what time of day it’s done (most people are shorter in the morning).

The exact numbers aren’t that big a deal, in my opinion. I wanted to push back on the idea that’s out there that Edwards is a “waterbug”; he’ll be hard to muscle on defense because of his weight and lower body strength, while his height is in the same neighborhood as those other guys (except IT, of course).

So, is Carsen IT with defense? Well, even IT wasn’t IT when he first came into the league, so even if Edwards really is All That it would be an achievement for him to crack the rotation in his rookie season. Having said that, Terry Rozier is gone now, and there is no one in front of Edwards for that job.

It looks like a good bet that Carsen can shoot with range off the dribble, can create good shots ditto, can dribble drive with either hand (love his hesitation move), and will probably have a decent floater for when he can’t get to the rim (looked a bit... experimental in SL, I thought, even when it went in, but let’s be optimistic and say that he’ll just need more reps).

Now you can always count on someone waiting in the wings to tell you, “Summer League is meaningless!” - and there’s a grain of truth in that, too, especially when it comes to shooting and rebounding. 3-pt%s are notoriously variable, anyway, even without all the open ones and changing lineups you get in Vegas. So .467 from the arc seems highly unlikely when he gets to the NBA. But having said that, he won’t have to create everything off the dribble in the NBA, and given his skillset you could imagine a fair amount of his minutes playing off the ball - with Marcus Smart, for example - and getting higher % catch-and-shoot opportunities.

But in the end it’s defense that will get him in the rotation. It might be premature to predict that he’ll be able to create and make shots like Isaiah did; but it’s not a stretch to predict that he’ll quickly surpass IT as a defender.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:23:58 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2019, 01:34:32 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Just some extra trivia on the 'numbers' game here:

Kemba Walker's standing reach:  7' 7.5"
Isaiah Thomas' standing reach:  7' 7.5"
Carsen Edwards' standing reach:  7' 10.5"
Tremont Waters' standing reach:  7' 9.5"

All measurements from the NBA Draft Combine events (2011 for Kemba & Isaiah, 2019 for Carsen & Tremont).

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2019, 03:32:45 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Just some extra trivia on the 'numbers' game here:

Kemba Walker's standing reach:  7' 7.5"
Isaiah Thomas' standing reach:  7' 7.5"
Carsen Edwards' standing reach:  7' 10.5"
Tremont Waters' standing reach:  7' 9.5"

All measurements from the NBA Draft Combine events (2011 for Kemba & Isaiah, 2019 for Carsen & Tremont).

Pretty interesting, especially the surprising number for Tremont.

A functional point to add to Carsen’s length: his explosiveness is in his shoulders as well as his hips, so getting his hands up on defense is lightning quick.

When we look at these anthro numbers we should also consider how well a player can use his size.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2019, 04:45:08 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I meant taller, I am surprised they are even that close. Carsen looks shorter than he is then.
I think Carsen is taller as well as bulkier than Kemba lol.
may i ask why you think this? the only measurements i could find say kemba is one inch taller. please let us know if you have other measurements available.
Nvm I somehow messed up Edwards' height measurement without shoes for his height with shoes. TPs to the guys who called me out on this, Edwards is 0.75 inches shorter than Kemba btw if you wanted to know (5'10.75 to 5'11).
You realize that the difference between 5'11" & 5'10.75" is only .25 inches not .75 inches, right?
Uhhhhhhhhh that was another typo...Kemba is 5'11.5 inches tall without shoes. My apologies.
a tp for both honesty and for having a tough day.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Assigned again to G League today