Poll

Would you  trade Jaylen Brown with a first for jimmy Butler if it keeps Kyrie with the Celtics?

Yes
3 (4.5%)
No
57 (85.1%)
Only if Jimmy  and Kyrie  signed long term with thr Celtics
7 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: If it meant keeping Kyrie, would you trade Jaylen Brown for Jimmy Butler?  (Read 18447 times)

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Players actually mean something to me. They're not just jerseys and names on a roster. Or "assets". I love Tatum and Brown's games and hope they stay in Boston for the duration.

Winning a title with guys you've brought up from the start is vastly more satisfying than winning with rent-a-players, even when he's a warrior like KG.

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Players actually mean something to me. They're not just jerseys and names on a roster. Or "assets". I love Tatum and Brown's games and hope they stay in Boston for the duration.

Winning a title with guys you've brought up from the start is vastly more satisfying than winning with rent-a-players, even when he's a warrior like KG.

Well said! I would simply rather have Jaylen Brown here than Jimmy Butler.

Do we have a slightly better chance at the title with Jimmy Butler? Maybe. Depends on how much further Brown's development goes this year which I believe is going to be significant. Keep in mind Jimmy Butler's stats would go down if he were playing with Kyrie, Tatum, Hayward and Horford.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:24:32 AM by CF033 »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I may have posted this before, but if we didn’t trade Brown for Kawhi, we are not trading him for Butler. Kawhi is a tier better than Butler, and he’s younger..
He is also an expiring contract, missed almost an entire year with an injury, is rumored to be heading to LA next summer, and Brown wasn't the only major piece being sought by the Spurs.  Butler is only the expiring contract and none of those other things but has been linked to Irving by a lot of people.

Well, Butler is an expiring contract, has clashed with and undermined teammates, has been rumored to be headed to NY next summer, and due to salary matching purposes we'd need to include at least one other major piece.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I may have posted this before, but if we didn’t trade Brown for Kawhi, we are not trading him for Butler. Kawhi is a tier better than Butler, and he’s younger..
I agree but a lot of people here are assuming getting Butler assures both Butler and Kyrie are here long term because they are buddies because otherwise both Kyrie and Butler are going to sign with some other team next year. I don't buy into that. I think if Danny thought Kyrie was going to leave, Kyrie would have been gone this off season. I think, behind the scenes, Kyrie and Danny have a strong relationship and just don't want to go public with anything.

Yeah, I don't think Kyrie will leave, either.  I base that on the fact that I think he's odd / wacky, but not stupid.  He can't look at a situation where he's surrounded by Tatum, Hayward, Brown and Horford and say "I'd rather go to a lottery team".

And, of course, if Kyrie *is* the type of player that would leave a dominant franchise just to play with his buddies, I wouldn't attempt to appease him.  Danny and Brad need to stick to their plan, rather than allowing Kyrie to play GM.  Kyrie isn't close to Lebron as a player, but even with LBJ we saw how harmful allowing a player-coach-GM can be.  Doing that for a lesser player would be franchise suicide.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
So, given the information we’d have when we would have to make a deal, I would certainly say no. However, if we had a crystal ball and knew for sure that Kyrie and Butler would stay if we made the deal, and Kyrie would bolt if we didn’t, then I’d have to say yes.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I agree but a lot of people here are assuming getting Butler assures both Butler and Kyrie are here long term because they are buddies because otherwise both Kyrie and Butler are going to sign with some other team next year. I don't buy into that. I think if Danny thought Kyrie was going to leave, Kyrie would have been gone this off season. I think, behind the scenes, Kyrie and Danny have a strong relationship and just don't want to go public with anything.

Yeah, I don't think Kyrie will leave, either.  I base that on the fact that I think he's odd / wacky, but not stupid.  He can't look at a situation where he's surrounded by Tatum, Hayward, Brown and Horford and say "I'd rather go to a lottery team".

And, of course, if Kyrie *is* the type of player that would leave a dominant franchise just to play with his buddies, I wouldn't attempt to appease him.  Danny and Brad need to stick to their plan, rather than allowing Kyrie to play GM.  Kyrie isn't close to Lebron as a player, but even with LBJ we saw how harmful allowing a player-coach-GM can be.  Doing that for a lesser player would be franchise suicide.

This is key for me. An organization needs more strategy than "keep our star player happy" when they're trying to build a team. Catering to the desires of an individual usually doesn't work out.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:36:44 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
I'd move Jaylen for Butler anytime - regardless of Kyrie's feelings.  Butler is a better player.
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I'd move Jaylen for Butler anytime - regardless of Kyrie's feelings.  Butler is a better player.

As of this moment, yes.  But you have to look at the totality of the situation...age, contract, injury history, talent projection, etc.  Butler will be 29 by the start of this season, but he has the knees and milage more of a 33-34 year old.  Tom Thibodeau, like many players that he's coached, runs his guys into the ground.  He's never exactly been known as a coach who understands minutes, bench usage, and proper rotations.  So while he may be turning 29, in a basketball sense, he's much older than that.

Now just look at his talent...he's peaked as a player in my opinion.  At 7+ years in the league, he is who he is.  And if you break down and rate his game, is he the better overall scorer?  Right now, absolutely.  But outside of that, I put JB right up there in every other facet of the game with Jimmy Butler.  So when you look at it that way and then add in that Brown will only be 22 at the start of the season going into his 3rd year?

No thanks, I'll keep JB and if that means Kyrie leaves, then you have Rozier has insurance.  And you play and build around more of the wings than you do the point guard.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Voted no. figure out another way to trade for butler if he's wanted that badly. too steep for a player with a 2019-2020 player option

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Not sure I'd do it, as I love Brown, but if we did I'd want picks etc coming back alongside Butler.

Brown is already nearly as good, and with huge upside.

Re: If it meant keeping Kyrie, would you trade Jaylen Brown for Jimmy Butler?
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2018, 03:17:23 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Voted no. figure out another way to trade for butler if he's wanted that badly. too steep for a player with a 2019-2020 player option

More likely it would be Smart, Morris + a pick. Thibs would love Marcus, and he might have a positive effect on Towns and Wiggins. And those guys look like they could use a kick in the pants.

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

And, of course, if Kyrie *is* the type of player that would leave a dominant franchise just to play with his buddies, I wouldn't attempt to appease him.  Danny and Brad need to stick to their plan, rather than allowing Kyrie to play GM.  Kyrie isn't close to Lebron as a player, but even with LBJ we saw how harmful allowing a player-coach-GM can be. Doing that for a lesser player would be franchise suicide.

How harmful was it?  The Cavs made the NBA finals every year Lebron was in Cleveland...

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Does kyrie believe that butler has more future than brown...? Lets see next year who is better

« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2018, 06:08:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And, of course, if Kyrie *is* the type of player that would leave a dominant franchise just to play with his buddies, I wouldn't attempt to appease him.  Danny and Brad need to stick to their plan, rather than allowing Kyrie to play GM.  Kyrie isn't close to Lebron as a player, but even with LBJ we saw how harmful allowing a player-coach-GM can be. Doing that for a lesser player would be franchise suicide.

How harmful was it?  The Cavs made the NBA finals every year Lebron was in Cleveland...
With only one of the most dysfunctional locker rooms in the NBA and a team that is seemingly destined for mediocrity for some time
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2018, 08:13:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

With only one of the most dysfunctional locker rooms in the NBA and a team that is seemingly destined for mediocrity for some time
they were destined for mediocrity with Irving before James got there.  They went from 33 wins to 4 straight NBA Finals including the first championship for the city in 50 years.  I'd say it is worth that every single time for every single organization (well maybe not the Warriors right now, but every other organization). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip