Author Topic: So how many games are you giving Rondo to round into Rondo?  (Read 4514 times)

So how many games are you giving Rondo to round into Rondo?
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
...before we start seeing plethora of criticisms and trade talk (yea, like this isn't an issue around here already  ::)). 

I feel because of his injury, people are cautious in criticizing him which I more than understand but I know it will get to a point, if he keeps performing below expectation, when people will seriously start going hard at him.  Jeff Green was a prime example

How many games is that for you
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:41:12 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Re: So how many games are you giving Rondo to round into Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:35:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
'Til the All Star Break.

I don't know how many games that is, but it's about a month from now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
'Til the All Star Break.

I don't know how many games that is, but it's about a month from now.

Fair enough.  That would be about it for me as well

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Once he's able to play consistent minutes without having to sit out 15+ minutes at a time. His minute restrictions will mess with his consistency. If I had to put a set time..I'd say about a month, but I'm not really expecting him to be "Rondo" until later in the season.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 01:01:01 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm giving him until the first game next year.  I'd keep him on the same minute schedule until the last month of the season.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm giving him until the first game next year.  I'd keep him on the same minute schedule until the last month of the season.
Yup not this season baed on similar injury to other players. In any case, why would any of us have any idea how long it will take?  And if you set a target, what do you do if he misses that target?  Unless perhaps this is another Trade Rondo thread.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 01:05:51 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Hopefully 40, so we can lock up a top pick!  ;D

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Another thing that needs to be mentioned here is that once the minute restrictions are lifted and Rondo starts playing regular rotations, he still needs to become better acquainted with the players he is playing with and where they like the ball and what they are most effective doing in certain plays and sets.

Rondo played with Green,Sully and Bradley before but only sparingly due to injuries of all four players. The rest of the team is all new to Rondo. he has to get familiar with them in a playing environment as well.

Rondo, judging from his lack of speed, burst, and lateral movement and just lack of desire to run full throttle on the break, is going to be a while getting back to being Rondo. March is the earliest I would expect it.

That said, Rondo doesn't have to be Rondo to be a major improvement at the PG position over what we had before his return.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Another thing that needs to be mentioned here is that once the minute restrictions are lifted and Rondo starts playing regular rotations, he still needs to become better acquainted with the players he is playing with and where they like the ball and what they are most effective doing in certain plays and sets.

Rondo played with Green,Sully and Bradley before but only sparingly due to injuries of all four players. The rest of the team is all new to Rondo. he has to get familiar with them in a playing environment as well.

Rondo, judging from his lack of speed, burst, and lateral movement and just lack of desire to run full throttle on the break, is going to be a while getting back to being Rondo. March is the earliest I would expect it.

That said, Rondo doesn't have to be Rondo to be a major improvement at the PG position over what we had before his return.

Yep...what everyone needs to realize is that this is basically his preseason with the team and his minute restrictions makes it a lot harder to get a good rhythm, especially with the one's he never played with before.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Not concerned at all with deadlines.

This is a bad team without Rondo; it will be a bad team with him.

He can take his time, and try to avoid further injury, as far as I'm concerned.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 01:19:13 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16

Yep...what everyone needs to realize is that this is basically his preseason with the team and his minute restrictions makes it a lot harder to get a good rhythm, especially with the one's he never played with before.

Agreed, although I am happy that he has been watching the team every night and been fully involved in the practices. So of course it will take a bit to get adjusted to this new squad but at least he's going in with some experience and knowledge.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
judge the team, not the player.

we're not contenders this season. danny has conceded this fact.

putting expectations on this team or any single player is futile.

does that mean we should accept them to just fold? no. and I don't think anyone on this team will or would....'cept bogans.

rondo likely won't be rondo till next yr. anyone expecting more is unrealistic.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
6? And then hopefully we have 10 games of healthy Rondo leading into the trade deadline.  Not saying it's a definite we'll trade him, but there will be offers for a healthy Rondo and I fully expect Ainge to consider them. 

Right now he looks fine to me.  His minutes are just limited.  It's also hard to get double-digit assists when you're surrounded with weak offensive players and you yourself aren't a consistent threat to score.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 02:37:50 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
judge the team, not the player.

we're not contenders this season. danny has conceded this fact.

putting expectations on this team or any single player is futile.

does that mean we should accept them to just fold? no. and I don't think anyone on this team will or would....'cept bogans.

rondo likely won't be rondo till next yr. anyone expecting more is unrealistic.

my thoughts exactly.

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Like others I have no timetable.  Actually I also have no worries.  I'd be suprised if we don't see it by April, but still would not be concerned if it takes till October.