Poll

Which C's will make Team USA’s 2019 FIBA World Cup roster? (pick up to 4)

Jaylen Brown
57 (20.7%)
Marcus Smart
52 (18.9%)
Jayson Tatum
81 (29.5%)
Kemba Walker
85 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]  (Read 108145 times)

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2019, 07:01:53 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Is it just me or do Americans not care a hoot about FIBA World Cup? If USA basketball cared about any competition outside the NBA, other than the Olympics, they would send their best to win it and they would win every tournament.

But USA basketball doesn't care about much other than the Olympics when it comes to national tournaments and I think the fandom has very similar feelings. I just don't think the average American NBA fan gives a dang about the very contrively named FIBA World Cup. It's a knockoff version of the FIFA World Cup and I just don't think the prestige crosses over. In basketball, true prestige comes from being an NBA or Olympic champion, at least in the eyes of most American fans. The World Cup? Not so much.

I think a lot of Americans don't know or forget that there is a basketball World Cup. I like it because it's more basketball in the summer, but even I'm not bothered by all the top players dropping out. It's just a fun little tournament to me.

Maybe the international posters here can confirm, but I remember hearing that internationally the FIBA World Cup/Championship has more prestige than the Olympic teams.

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2019, 07:14:32 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don't think so.  Maybe equally important but definitely not more than the Olympic games

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2019, 07:30:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It seems possible that the C's are gonna be represented by 8 players in the upcoming FIBA World Cup, hence I decided to make a thread about it.

USA: Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Smart
France: Poirier
Germany: Theis
Nigeria: Semi (he's on the 44-man preliminary list)
Senegal: Tacko*

*alongside his brother(?) Youssoupha Fall who is just 7'3.75'' ;D

The US 16-man preliminary roster:
(at least 4 of them aren't gonna make the cut)

PG: Kemba, Lowry, Fox, Smart
SG: Mitchell, Brown
SF: Middleton, Tatum, Barnes
PF: Kuzma, Thad Young, PJ Tucker
C: Brook Lopez, Turner, Adebayo, Plumlee

With that many star players withdrawing from the roster, the situation reminds me of the 2002 World Cup in Indianapolis when the US finished 6th. Don't get me wrong, they are obviously the favorites, but there are plenty of good teams which could give them a run for their money.

Serbia: Jokic, Bogdan Bogdanovic (the one playing for the Kings), Bjelica, Marjanovic, Teodosic
Spain: Marc Gasol, Rubio, the Hernangomez brothers
Greece: Giannis + plenty of good players at the Euroleague level. Thing is, only one of them (Sloukas) is a knockdown shooter.
France: Gobert, Fournier, Batum, Ntilikina

Lithuania, Canada, Australia aren't half bad either.

I guess it's gonna be a fun tournament. The US haven't lost a single game since the semi final against Greece, back in 2006. The way I see it, they look beatable once again.

Tacko and Youssoupha Fall are not related (or at least not closely).  I’ve decided that Fall is Senegalese for “other-worldly tall.”

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I don't know what the Fiba world cup is so hard to get excited. However I love good basketball so I'll watch. Plus it fill the August basketball lul
ok fine

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Filipino here, still hoping that Jordan Clarkson will be allowed to play for the Philippines as a local talent and not a naturalized one.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2019, 11:14:16 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I don't think so.  Maybe equally important but definitely not more than the Olympic games

It actually is more important than the Olympics for a lot of the teams, simply because not a lot of teams qualify for the Olympics (less slots)

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2019, 12:02:49 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I wish I could see Hong Kong compete in FIBA or the Olympics while I'm alive. Rooting for Yi Jianlian to keep China respectable, also helps that he's from Guangdong.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2019, 01:19:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm going with Greece. Giannis is going to be on a mission

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2019, 01:57:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I haven’t been this excited since Rondo tried out in 2010

Good news this time around is that Tatum and Kemba seem like locks

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2019, 01:59:15 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think either way this goes, this is going to be huge for Jaylen Brown. If he gets cut, I hope it makes him hungry for this season. If he doesn't, I hope playing on this level will challenge him to grow.

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think either way this goes, this is going to be huge for Jaylen Brown. If he gets cut, I hope it makes him hungry for this season. If he doesn't, I hope playing on this level will challenge him to grow.
I think playing in the ECSFs and ECFs is playing on a much higher level than this tournament and Tatum and Brown have already proven they can play pretty excellent ball at that level. Not sure playing in this tourney will challenge either to grow any more than they were already challenged in the NBA playoffs.

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Marcus Smart on the trainer’s table with his left ankle wrapped in ice as Team USA practice opens to reporters. He’s not participating as players shoot at end of session.

Marcus Smart said his ankle felt sore today. He took himself out as a precaution. Smart is hopeful to be back on court tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/ChrisForsberg_/status/1158846820497293312

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2019, 02:56:23 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
The 2019 Australian Boomers team for the FIBA World Cup:

Aron Baynes - Phoenix Suns
Andrew Bogut - Sydney Kings
Jonah Bolden - Philadelphia 76ers
Xavier Cooks - SIG Strasbourg
Matthew Dellavedova - Cleveland Cavaliers
Cam Gliddon - Brisbane Bullets
Chris Goulding - Melbourne United
Joe Ingles - Utah Jazz
Nick Kay - Perth Wildcats
Jock Landale - Žalgiris Kaunas
Patty Mills - San Antonio Spurs
Nathan Sobey - Brisbane Bullets

Somehow NBA experienced players Mitch Creek and Deng Adel missed the cut while a few mediocre Australian NBL based players got in  ??? >:(

We have a crap coach and a pretty average team with no Simmons, Maker, Exum and Broekhoff.

With RJ Barrett and Jamal Murray not playing for Canada we may have a slightly better chance of getting out of the group stage but wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2019, 03:20:19 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think it's crazy to think that (hypothetically) either this Olympics or the next World Championships we could see Greece take the court with FOUR ANTETOKOUNMPO'S...and some other boring greek guy lol.

Imagine the poor commentators haha

If this does come to fruition I'd kind of be p---ed off that the eldest brother didn't become a good enough basketball player to field a complete set of Antetokounmpo's.

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2019, 04:37:17 AM »

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think it's crazy to think that (hypothetically) either this Olympics or the next World Championships we could see Greece take the court with FOUR ANTETOKOUNMPO'S...and some other boring greek guy lol.

Imagine the poor commentators haha

If this does come to fruition I'd kind of be p---ed off that the eldest brother didn't become a good enough basketball player to field a complete set of Antetokounmpo's.
I suppose it depends on how Kostas and Alexis pan out. The youngest of the bunch is supposedly pretty good/talented. Regardless, with their length and athleticism, they should give teams fits defensively.