Author Topic: Come on, Pap  (Read 7144 times)

Re: Come on, Pap
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Paps is a fantastic closer for ths Sox...but he needs to keep his mouth shut about the HOF and how much money he is worth.  Ever since he started bragging about himself he has started to show kinks in his armor. 

I agree.  When he first started talking about how much money  he thought he deserved, I said then he should shut his mouth and he'd probably jinx himself and have an off year for his cocky comments.  And guess what?  He hasn't really been all that great this year. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Pap, but sometimes I wish he would just close his mouth.

I think that's just who Paps is.  He's a brash, confident, expressive guy.   Without that mentality, he wouldn't be the closer he is today.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 06:52:10 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

For what it's worth, if anyone is to blame on the "journalism" end of things here, it's me rather than Newsday.  The paper did report the quote you allude to as well, Roy.  However, in my whole-hearted agreement with Soap's point that the guy's comments really shouldn't have been made in the first place, I simply went with what I considered Pap's most egregious quote.

That being said, it wasn't fair to do so without pointing that he did step back on those words later.  My bad on that.

Even with that in account, I stand by my replacement for "blah, blah, blah."

-sw

Possibly, Steve, but it's not in the online story you linked to, and it's certainly not implied but the headline they chose to run.  I'm still saying typical tabloid journalism. 

Are you talking about the headline of the story I linked to...or the headline run by your picture of the cover from the New York Daily News?

I'm not sure it's fair to hold Newsday responsible for the latter...

-sw

So many tabloids on New York, it's hard to keep track.

So, the Daily News used the sensational headline, and Newsday used the inaccurate online story.  New York papers are 2-for-2. ;)

To be truthful, I'm a bit confused by the Newsday online story -- I didn't read it as thoroughly as I should have, because I read the comments in the print edition this morning and was just looking for waht I quoted -- though it was paired with Papelbon's retraction when I saw it in print.  I'm not sure why the paper would have an online story well after publication of the print edition that wouldn't feature the retraction.  I'll have to find the original story when I get a chance, although I believe Ken Davidoff mentioned both ends of the Pap spectrum in his baseball insider column.  That part of it is certainly a bit odd, and you'll have no argument from me on that end of things...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 07:07:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Also, Steve, note that the online story was updated as of 10:00am this morning.  They had plenty of time to clear things up, and chose not to.  Shady.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Paps is a fantastic closer for ths Sox...but he needs to keep his mouth shut about the HOF and how much money he is worth.  Ever since he started bragging about himself he has started to show kinks in his armor. 

I agree.  When he first started talking about how much money  he thought he deserved, I said then he should shut his mouth and he'd probably jinx himself and have an off year for his cocky comments.  And guess what?  He hasn't really been all that great this year. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Pap, but sometimes I wish he would just close his mouth.

I think that's just who Paps is.  He's a brash, confident, expressive guy.   Without that mentality, he wouldn't be the closer he is today.

Yo can be brash and confident without running your mouth about how much you're worth or that you should close instead of someone who is clearly outperforming you (Paps already has more blown saves this year than he's had all of last season).  There are dozens of good and confident closers and I don't hear any of them running their mouths the way Paps does.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson