Author Topic: Getting Over the Hump may be easier than you think!!!  (Read 5031 times)

Getting Over the Hump may be easier than you think!!!
« on: June 04, 2023, 05:24:22 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Most 19 - 20 year old players are Not that good, as far as winning goes I mean. A lot of players peak at around 25-26. Some players seem to peek later, 27 to 30. I always believed that player development is a huge key to success in the NBA. Look at teams like the Spurs, Warriors and now Miami. Some teams seem to be really good at helping their players max out their potential, while others seem to do the opposite.
My point is, I would rather be a team that has the right people in place to Develop players. That said, JT is 25 and JB is 26. RW is 25. The Perfect time to Maximize their play! Do we have the people in place to do that?
JB 26. Needs to work on his Handle!! They should bring in the best for this, HE should live it and breathe it!!
JT, Shot selection and seeing the Open man. Knowing when to drive and kick. Again, work with the best to help him see this. Watching films is one thing, but working with a great trainer to develop skills is so important. RW, No 3 pt shot, but he shots really well at the line. Why Not work with the best to help him. Not be a great 3 pt shooter, but to work on it!!!
Everyone says, JB can't be taught at this point, I say why Not? We HAVE the Team! Getting Over the hump is what we Need. Working on weaknesses in the off season can put us there. This is the team that can win
#18 for us!! THEY ARE ALREADY HERE! We Must Maximize their Potential!!

Re: Getting Over the Hump may be easier than you think!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 05:49:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Jesus. Timelord is only 25. He feels much older than that the way he is injured all the time and struggling to come back from physical ailments often even available to play.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 07:48:38 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think what has people concerned is Brown might not be able to improve greatly in ballhandling due to his small hands. Secondly, before last season there was still this idea that Udoka was going to let the Jays evolve as playmakers. The big problem was that we had two scorers that didn't make anyone around them better, capping our offense's potential. While Tatum made strides, Brown basically stayed the same or got worse. In fact, this season you barely even heard anyone mentioning that he could grow as a playmaker. While I think he will obviously improve by getting more experience and learning new moves, it's not clear he has another big jump to make. His numbers from the last three seasons are very similar, or in some cases worse.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 09:30:24 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
The biggest improvement from JB won’t come from better handles. He’s been working on that every year. He’s improved from his rookie season but he’s never going to be great.

He can still make a small jump by simply learning to recognize a double or triple team and pass out of it. No more 1-3 try to force your way to the rim hero ball. That’s when he loses control of the ball and has always been his biggest weakness. Driving to the basket without a plan.

That only works for LeBron, Giannis and maybe Zion. Jaylen isn’t any of those guys.

Someone is going to be open. His playmaking will come from passing out of that before he gets in trouble. Right now he’s trying to pass after the path to the basket is blocked and he’s into the defense, who all have hands up to disrupt the pass or steal the ball.

Just that small adjustment would turn him from poor playmaker to at least average. He needs to cut his turnover rate in half. 3-4 passes a step or two sooner would do that.

Does he have the BBIQ to do that? Is the coaching up to training him for it? Will his teammates hold him accountable? Hopefully? Maybe?

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 02:07:10 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
As I mentioned in other thread...the problem is not Jaylen's handle, it is the overuse of his "handle".

If you play smart basketball you don't need to dribble like Steph Curry....

I'm not saying drilling skill is not important.  I'm saying it's not what's stopping the C's from advancing.  What's stopping the C's from advancing is poor IQ, and lack of mental adjustments during the game, and turnovers from mostly from overly difficult moves being attempted in the against the roughest defense in the world (NBA playoff defense).

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 05:27:30 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
I think what has people concerned is Brown might not be able to improve greatly in ballhandling due to his small hands. Secondly, before last season there was still this idea that Udoka was going to let the Jays evolve as playmakers. The big problem was that we had two scorers that didn't make anyone around them better, capping our offense's potential. While Tatum made strides, Brown basically stayed the same or got worse. In fact, this season you barely even heard anyone mentioning that he could grow as a playmaker. While I think he will obviously improve by getting more experience and learning new moves, it's not clear he has another big jump to make. His numbers from the last three seasons are very similar, or in some cases worse.

In my unqualified opinion, it might be better for Brown if the team can emphasise his play off the ball, rather than asking him to be one of the primary ball handlers.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 06:52:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Small hands has nothing to do with ball handling, a lot of small guards had great handles and did not have large hands.   I would guess Pritchard has smaller hands than Brown yet he is a better dribbler.   Some of the best dribblers I've seen had smaller hands than me,  sure big hands help with palming the ball and one handed rebounds but it has zero factor on dribbling.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 07:26:20 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

In my unqualified opinion, it might be better for Brown if the team can emphasise his play off the ball, rather than asking him to be one of the primary ball handlers.

I think that was the whole point of bringing in Gallo and Brogdon. But Gallo tore his ACL before the season and Brogdon tore his elbow in the ECF (and then Tatum sprained his ankle).

Now, we can question why I'm game 7 with Tatum's sprained ankle they decided let's have brown handle the ball instead of someone like smart or white...or even an injured Tatum.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 07:41:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I think that was the whole point of bringing in Gallo and Brogdon. But Gallo tore his ACL before the season and Brogdon tore his elbow in the ECF (and then Tatum sprained his ankle).

Now, we can question why I'm game 7 with Tatum's sprained ankle they decided let's have brown handle the ball instead of someone like smart or white...or even an injured Tatum.

I thought the main value of Gallo coming in was as a PF/C who could reliably stretch the floor and hit outside shots when the team goes cold from 3 in the playoffs against tough defenses.

Similar to what Otto Porter did for GSW against us in the Finals.

You think of how the team struggled against MIA's zone defense and how effective Gallo could have been as a zone breaking three point shooting big man. That was his main value to the team entering the season in my eyes and why I thought he was signed. And it was missed.

Of course Muscala could've done a poor man's version of it if the coach would've allowed him on the floor. A little here, a little there. Not a rotation regular. Just specific situations when the team is struggling and he provides something different to the other bigs. Especially with Al Horford struggling so badly from 3. Muscala should've played.