Author Topic: So it begins... Who wants Jaylen?  (Read 13654 times)

So it begins... Who wants Jaylen?
« on: March 23, 2023, 12:51:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Even before Brown’s tepid response to staying in Boston, league executives acknowledged that rival teams with 2024 cap space had Brown circled as a potential target—“We’ve got him penciled in for sure,” one told Heavy Sports. “But probably half the league does.”

Or, at least, a sixth. In asking around about potential Brown suitors, five teams came up most frequently.

This is not a surprise, and if Brown were to leave Boston, a return home to Atlanta makes the most sense. Brown has kept an active hand in the community back in Georgia, and he could view playing for the Hawks as the way to do the most good. He also makes some sense as a two-way star who can fit well with Trae Young and Dejounte Murray (who will also be a free agent in 2024).

“One reason the Hawks are trying to unload (John) Collins is to get that cap space and be in position to add someone, another star, with Trae,” one Eastern Conference executive said. “It is not easy to get free agents to Atlanta but Jaylen Brown would be different—they want to be in position, at least, to make a move if he wants to be there. I think there is not question they are watching the situation with him. Closely.”
Source: Sean Deveney @ Heavy.com

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/hawks-jaylen-brown-free-agent-suitors/

Note:  Don't believe Sean Deveney.  It's just one of 100 "rumors" we'll hear until JB is under long-term contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: So it begins... Who wants Jaylen?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 01:00:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Collins and Murray for Brown and Smart
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 01:08:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

That is a steal for ATL.  Smart is more valuable right now than Collins and Brown is significantly better than Murray, in my opinion.

But to the original topic, of course there are teams plotting to see if they might be in position to sign Brown if he becomes a UFA in 2024.  That is not surprising in the least.  Brown is saying and not saying just enough to allow teams to believe there is a chance.

Nothing of course is going to happen with Brown until we see if he qualifies for a super max extension or whatever it is called.  If he does, I predict he takes an extension.  If he doesn't, he will wait until he is a UFA.  If he does not accept an extension, there is some chance that the Celtics could trade him in the off season but I think the chances are slim.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 01:15:02 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The priority is to keep Jaylen. If this team wins the Championship this season, it would be stupid to move him if he's open to staying.

If Jaylen makes the All NBA team, is offered a max extension, and turns it down this summer, we’ll know where he stands.

In that case, there won’t be a shortage of suitors. He’s a 2 way wing  in his prime that would be attractive for 80% of the league.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 01:20:08 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
It should of course be noted that, with or without making All-NBA this year or next, the Celtics can still offer Jaylen the most money, and there is no reason to believe they won’t.  They will have their chance to show Brown how big of a priority he is, and I do think he is a pretty big one to Stevens.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 01:22:54 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

The first thing I thought of was a Brown/Murray double sign-and-trade.  Would certainly take the sting out of losing one of your top players.

While I get why Atlanta would be in the discussion (hometown, Black culture capital), based on some of the purported Jaylen grumblings, I'd think he'd want to be the main man.  Wouldn't want to leave Boston as 2nd fiddle to Tatum to go be 2nd fiddle to Trae Young (where if you believe the rumors, several teammates don't like him: “He doesn’t like the coach, the coach doesn’t like him, and other players have issues with Trae also.”).

I would think Jaylen would be more likely to leave to be the main man of more of an ensemble cast.  The Jimmy Butler role in Miami, Jalen Brunson in New York, Donovan Mitchell in Cleveland.  If there's a team like that in 2024 that has money to throw at Jaylen, that's who I'd be worried about.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 01:39:38 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
It should of course be noted that, with or without making All-NBA this year or next, the Celtics can still offer Jaylen the most money, and there is no reason to believe they won’t.  They will have their chance to show Brown how big of a priority he is, and I do think he is a pretty big one to Stevens.

This is true.  If he doesn't make All NBA this year, he probably won't sign and extension due to money but that is no reason to believe he won't come back as a UFA and take the most money from the Celtics.

But as said above, if he does get All NBA and declines the larger extension, that would be reason to start to wonder about him wanting to leave.  In this case, and likely only in this case, the Celtics should seriously consider the best available trade for him (which would probably be a pretty good player or package coming back).

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 01:56:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That is a steal for ATL.  Smart is more valuable right now than Collins and Brown is significantly better than Murray, in my opinion.

But to the original topic, of course there are teams plotting to see if they might be in position to sign Brown if he becomes a UFA in 2024.  That is not surprising in the least.  Brown is saying and not saying just enough to allow teams to believe there is a chance.

Nothing of course is going to happen with Brown until we see if he qualifies for a super max extension or whatever it is called.  If he does, I predict he takes an extension.  If he doesn't, he will wait until he is a UFA.  If he does not accept an extension, there is some chance that the Celtics could trade him in the off season but I think the chances are slim.
I don't actually think Smart is more valuable than Collins right now.  Smart has been awful this year and I don't think he is going to get better.  I think he is one of those guys that is going to "age" at a young age and not last that long.  And Brown is "better" than Murray, I think Murray's passing and better team oriented style of play would fit better with Tatum.  I'd ask for another asset, perhaps Bey, but probably would end up doing that trade this summer (assuming Boston does not win the title this year).

White, Murray, Tatum, Collins, Rob with Brogdon, PP, Al, Grant, Moose, Gallo, Hauser

That is a better more cohesive team in my view than one with Smart and Brown instead of Murray and Collins.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 01:58:58 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

This is true.  If he doesn't make All NBA this year, he probably won't sign and extension due to money but that is no reason to believe he won't come back as a UFA and take the most money from the Celtics.

But as said above, if he does get All NBA and declines the larger extension, that would be reason to start to wonder about him wanting to leave.  In this case, and likely only in this case, the Celtics should seriously consider the best available trade for him (which would probably be a pretty good player or package coming back).

For sure.  The best thing for the Celtics is for Jaylen to get All-NBA, so they have clarity.  That said, my feeling is that Jaylen would leave the Celtics not due to the team itself but due to Boston.  That disappoints me, as someone who moved to Boston as an adult, left it and regretted it, and moved heaven and earth to return.  But I also get that different places are for different people for different reasons.  And more to the point, I think he probably does have a good relationship with the Celtics as an organization, such that if he really just does want to leave no matter what, they know that or will know that, regardless of whether or not he rejects an extension.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 02:41:31 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I don't actually think Smart is more valuable than Collins right now.  Smart has been awful this year and I don't think he is going to get better.  I think he is one of those guys that is going to "age" at a young age and not last that long.  And Brown is "better" than Murray, I think Murray's passing and better team oriented style of play would fit better with Tatum.  I'd ask for another asset, perhaps Bey, but probably would end up doing that trade this summer (assuming Boston does not win the title this year).

White, Murray, Tatum, Collins, Rob with Brogdon, PP, Al, Grant, Moose, Gallo, Hauser

That is a better more cohesive team in my view than one with Smart and Brown instead of Murray and Collins.

If you are going to trade Smart for Collins, then you don't want both White and Murray starting together.  I would much rather have White and Brown.  Murray is a decent player but in my mind, not in the league of Brown.

As to Smart for Collins, Collins has been bad this season and wasn't much better last.  Positionally, we have more need at PF than at combo guard so I would at least consider this trade but I have considerable doubt about Collins.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 03:29:13 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Trae Young & John Collins for Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart & Grant Williams works in trade machine but Grant is a FA..Trae isn’t on best terms with Hawks either…but brown isn’t going anywhere as Celtics will sign him long term
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 03:40:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Celtics receive: Damian Lillard, Jalen Johnson

Atlanta receive: Jaylen Brown

Portland receive: Marcus Smart, John Collins, Saddiq Bey, Peyton Pritchard, picks as necessary.

Leaves us with:

Lillard / Brogdon
White / Brogdon
Tatum / /Hauser / Johnson
Horford / Gallo / Grant
R-Will / Muscala / Kornet

Shore up the bench with some FA
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 04:11:16 PM by gouki88 »
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 04:03:08 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

John Collins definitely is someone we want to avoid and definitely has much lower value than smart. The hawks would be driving to Collins to the airport if we offered smart for him. His contract came up as one of worst in nba on the recent podcast and a large part of it is because he can’t shoot anymore since his hand is completely mangled (seems like it will be a chronic condition). Warning, this is not for the faint of heart. But here is a picture of his hand.

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1503414169990799365?s=46&t=dN0oB2tYfalMAsUpayXtaA

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 04:14:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If you are going to trade Smart for Collins, then you don't want both White and Murray starting together.  I would much rather have White and Brown.  Murray is a decent player but in my mind, not in the league of Brown.

As to Smart for Collins, Collins has been bad this season and wasn't much better last.  Positionally, we have more need at PF than at combo guard so I would at least consider this trade but I have considerable doubt about Collins.
You are underselling Murray a lot.  He isn't as good as Brown, but they aren't that far off from each other.  I just like Murray's passing a lot.  I think Boston needs a guy like Murray on the team.  I also don't have issue with White and Murray being a starting back court.  It worked fairly well the last time they were together. 

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 04:17:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You are underselling Murray a lot.  He isn't as good as Brown, but they aren't that far off from each other.  I just like Murray's passing a lot.  I think Boston needs a guy like Murray on the team.  I also don't have issue with White and Murray being a starting back court.  It worked fairly well the last time they were together.
They're pretty far off. Brown is in the top tier of wing/guard types, like Mitchell. Murray is probably the third tier given his average shooting.

Murray is a lot better as a PG in my opinion (like we saw in SAS), but I'm not sure he's worth all that trade capital given he will demand big money
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)