Author Topic: The worst call last night …  (Read 3928 times)

Re: The worst call last night …
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2023, 11:45:52 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think there were two coaches challenges in the 4th qtr. The first was Davis's foul on Tatum, which was reversed. No issue there. However, the ball was given to the Lakers, which made no sense to me since LeBron immediately traveled, so he never had possession.

Then the Celtics won a separate challenge on a foul call, where Tatum was the first to get the ball. In this instance, the refs called a jump ball instead.

To me, the refs interpretation of possession after the "foul" should have been reversed on these two instances. Am I alone on this?

Don’t know about the Lakers getting possession, but I actually didn’t have an issue with the jump ball after our successful challenge.  In the replays it was clear that the ref at stopped play prior to Tatum gaining possession.

The bigger issue with the Lakers challenge is that it shouldn’t have been successful.  When a player is already leaving the ground for a shot, no contact is “marginal” — it inherently disrupts a players ability to make a shot, as proven by Tatum missing said basket.

Agreed.  I don't see how Davis' contact on Tatum was any more or less marginal than Tatum's on Lebron.  They were both shooting fouls.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2023, 01:55:41 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I think there were two coaches challenges in the 4th qtr. The first was Davis's foul on Tatum, which was reversed. No issue there. However, the ball was given to the Lakers, which made no sense to me since LeBron immediately traveled, so he never had possession.

Then the Celtics won a separate challenge on a foul call, where Tatum was the first to get the ball. In this instance, the refs called a jump ball instead.

To me, the refs interpretation of possession after the "foul" should have been reversed on these two instances. Am I alone on this?

Don’t know about the Lakers getting possession, but I actually didn’t have an issue with the jump ball after our successful challenge.  In the replays it was clear that the ref at stopped play prior to Tatum gaining possession.

The bigger issue with the Lakers challenge is that it shouldn’t have been successful.  When a player is already leaving the ground for a shot, no contact is “marginal” — it inherently disrupts a players ability to make a shot, as proven by Tatum missing said basket.

Agreed.  I don't see how Davis' contact on Tatum was any more or less marginal than Tatum's on Lebron.  They were both shooting fouls.

Watching the Davis foul in real time, I didn't think it was a foul. Tatum was out of control and wasn't going to make the shot, even if Davis wasn't there. However, it may have been a foul according to the rule book. Common sense, still says no foul though.

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2023, 02:02:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Watching the Davis foul in real time, I didn't think it was a foul. Tatum was out of control and wasn't going to make the shot, even if Davis wasn't there. However, it may have been a foul according to the rule book. Common sense, still says no foul though.

Even if it was a marginal call, it's egregious to reverse it.  There certainly wasn't indisputable evidence to say it *wasn't* a foul.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes